Surface 2 vs. iPad, my thoughts.

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
90% of the time, people use tablets (and even laptops) for the same thing. Browsing the internet and watching videos.

The Surface 2 is better than the iPad at both these things.

Browsing isn't even close, IE is a FULL browser with the feel and security of a tablet browser like safari. Flash works, Pandora works, everything renders perfectly, its awesome. This to me is the killer feature of this device. It's hard to explain, but you quickly realize that you no longer need to comprise your browsing experience because you're on a tablet.

Video is better on the Surface because of the 16:9 aspect ratio and HDMI out.

Productivity, its a not contest. And this is a bigger deal that most realize, even for people who still have computers to compliment their tablets. On the road and need to make a quick edit to an email attachment? No problem with the surface.

The iPad is better for games, it has more games and the smaller size makes it more comfortable to hold.

The iPad is better for reading, again its the smaller size that gives it an edge. Although an e-ink device is better than any tablet for this.

The iPad is easier to use with one hand and standing up, again, because if its smaller size.

The iPad wins in the app department. But ill argue this. A large percentage of apps exist because phone/tablet browsers are limited. The Surface doesn't have this problem. Again, all websites, including Pandora work perfectly.

Hardware is a no contest in the Surface's favor. Better construction, kickstand, more ports, expandable memory, in my opinion a more beautiful design. They keyboard cases are flat out sick. Nothing on the market compares.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"90% of the time, people use tablets (and even laptops) for the same thing. Browsing the internet and watching videos."

Are you still in college or do not hold a professional position? My laptop, and tablet for that matter gets used for real work. It's the tool that puts food on my table.

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
To me there is a difference between a work station and a home computer. At work, I need to huge monitors and a large mouse and keyboard. At home and when I was at school? The Surface 2 does everything and more.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Ladies 90% of the population don't browse forum sites religiously like we do, so clearly we aren't the ones he's referring too! And he is 100% right.

wpjuanra

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
At home we have both the iPad 2 and the Surface 2 and I agree with your thoughts. They're both great devices, with their own pros and cons.

For me, another positive thing for the Surface 2 is the ability to have different user accounts. At home, both me and my wife share our two tablets, and when it comes to the iPad we're always "fighting" back and forth about the installed apps and how the icons are set. However, with the Surface 2 we can have our own apps and we can arrange the tiles as we prefer without messing with the other one's setup. :D

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
At home we have both the iPad 2 and the Surface 2 and I agree with your thoughts. They're both great devices, with their own pros and cons.

For me, another positive thing for the Surface 2 is the ability to have different user accounts. At home, both me and my wife share our two tablets, and when it comes to the iPad we're always "fighting" back and forth about the installed apps and how the icons are set. However, with the Surface 2 we can have our own apps and we can arrange the tiles as we prefer without messing with the other one's setup. :D

^^^This^^^

I share my surface with my girlfriend and my daughter. Its reassuring knowing I can just hand my surface to my 4 year old, she has her own locked off profile with everything she needs on it and I don't have to worry about her buying anything by accident on either mine or my girlfriends accounts.

gschneiderAW18

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
There both great products, my partner and I have different eco systems, I have windows she has Apple. Therefore I have a surface 2 and she has an iPad air. one this is true of both devices in there respective environments they place nice. Outside this their not very happy tablets.

Surface 2 is clearly better at productivity the iPad real annoys me when I actually want to do some work. However the iPad air is great for our daughter as the app range is better.

Personally I prefer Windows 8 to OSX so I am biased lol

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
the surface 2 wins by a mile with multitasking.
Only if multitasking is the top priority.

I'm working on creating a mobile rig for recording and producing podcasts. The Surface RT jumped quickly to the front because it directly supports a variety of quality microphones like the Blue Yeti usb microphone. But that's where it ended... there is no podcast recording software for WinRT. :shocked: There are a bunch of audio recording apps, but these are all pretty much the same and don't offer the functionality that would be required for easily recording and producing a podcast.

So I switched to attempting this with the iPad 4. I needed to switch to a lower-powered usb mic. A Logitech wand usb mic works directly with the iPad 4 (w/usb dongle). Went to the iTunes app store and purchased "Boss Jock". This is a professional quality podcast recording app. As much as I wanted to use the RT, the iPad wins.

I don't want to harp on the app situation, but it is perhaps the single thing that will torpedo the platform.

gschneiderAW18

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The App issue is a little annoying but I find it hard to criticise a 2 year old eco system. Apple wasn't much better when it started out. Windows growth is exponential though, due to the surge in the european markets it won't be long before windows catches up. Then we will have just as many S*** apps as iOS does so we can all rest easy lol

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site

I don't want to harp on the app situation, but it is perhaps the single thing that will torpedo the platform.

Yet, the Windows eco system still grows. Slower in the US then across the pond, but still growing. Hearing about the app situation gets old.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yet, the Windows eco system still grows. Slower in the US then across the pond, but still growing. Hearing about the app situation gets old.
Yeah, it gets old... but I didn't just lament in the abstract about it, I offered a real world example where it is impacting early adopters. What would YOU say to a person who is considering the purchase of a Surface with that example in mind?

The answer isn't for me, I've already purchased my RT. But for those yet to decide, an answer would be helpful.

AndroidRon

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Not a huge iPad fan since they have not innovated in years, but to Apple's credit, they have stable software that doesn't reboot, freeze up, lock down every day, Surface 2 sadly does...Surface 2 is a MUCH better device in nearly every other respect (but stable system software is critical).

Ron

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

I'm working on creating a mobile rig for recording and producing podcasts. The Surface RT jumped quickly to the front because it directly supports a variety of quality microphones like the Blue Yeti usb microphone. But that's where it ended... there is no podcast recording software for WinRT. :shocked: There are a bunch of audio recording apps, but these are all pretty much the same and don't offer the functionality that would be required for easily recording and producing a podcast.

So I switched to attempting this with the iPad 4. I needed to switch to a lower-powered usb mic. A Logitech wand usb mic works directly with the iPad 4 (w/usb dongle). Went to the iTunes app store and purchased "Boss Jock". This is a professional quality podcast recording app. As much as I wanted to use the RT, the iPad wins.

I'd wager that having the ability to multi task will benefit a much greater percentage of people than having the ability to produce professional quality podcasts.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Not a huge iPad fan since they have not innovated in years, but to Apple's credit, they have stable software that doesn't reboot, freeze up, lock down every day, Surface 2 sadly does...Surface 2 is a MUCH better device in nearly every other respect (but stable system software is critical).

Ron

A Surface 2 that reboots, freezes, locks down on a daily basis is defective and not indicative of the product line as a whole. Apple makes solid products despite the fact that my sister's iPad has locked up twice, my co-workers iPhone glitches randomly, and a friends iPad mini no longer turns on.

chinesepiratefood

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Agreed on full IE being a key feature of Surface. I have a first gen Surface (RT) and primarily use it for web browsing. Because of this I almost predominantly use the Surface over my android tablets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786