Surface 2 Screen Glitch/Twitch/Jitter issue!

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm extremely sad... :crying:

A few days after I got my Surface 2 my screen did a weird jitter/glitch like thing and I was nervous about it but in the few days after it had never happened again... Until two days ago. The same phenomenon returned again and it kept going repeatedly and was much more frequent. I took it to Best Buy today (I hate Best Buy and only bought my Surface 2 there because of the trade-in program...) and they told me I was too late, my 15 day return/exchange window was over. Counter girl was nice and genuinely sorry about my situation while the manager was dumb. I hate him.

Browsing and doing some research I found some people having a similar problem on different threads:

On a Surface 2
I love my surface 2 but have been having very similar things happening with mine... Blank screens, rotation problems, and a weird screen glitch (a kind of flickering tear across the screen sometimes). I hope they sort this stuff out soon..

On a Surface 2 Pro
Is anyone else having an issue with screen jitter and sporadic red lines accross the screen that looks like analog noise? It has become increasingly more prevalent the more I use my device. I've tried every screen setting adjustment I can find to no avail. It's hard to get a picture of as it comes and goes.

[Video I managed to capture coming soon]

It has not happened ever again but I'm not going to sit on it for longer. I'm contacting Microsoft and going to get it exchanged. If you've had a similar problem please chime in!

dutchsinse

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue.. 1 day out of box... called customer service... was the first call for the rep on a surface 2. Same across screen glitchy.. as it turned out, he had me update the NVidia tegra video driver.. which lol.. then caused win8 to revert back to a basic driver with jo real features.... THEN he had me , using the tablet, go to NVidia website, and for me to personally search the driver and reinstall it...LOL

THEN, we found out NVidia doesnt have the tegra4 drivers on their site.

Finally, seeing since we had just erased the tegra driver, he had me try to rollback the driver to bring back the tegra we just uninstalled...hahahah... but...lol... no tegra driver found. Epic .

The final outcome? He had me do a factory restore, then, a manual update to win8, this whole process took two hours, on the phone...from midnight until 2am... ;)

after the update, it worked fine with no flicker at all. For three weeks.

Lol... a week ago, was at the doctors office, and alas there again are the two inch wide, static looking colorful cross screen glitches

Solution THIS time? Turn off power fully. Wait a.min, turn back on. Hahahah... that solution worked.

Good luck to you, if mine does it a lot more... ill consider it a warranty issue, not a software fix.

-Dice-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Solution THIS time? Turn off power fully. Wait a.min, turn back on. Hahahah... that solution worked.

Hey Guys,
got my Surface on Wednesday and had the same out of the box jitter as you described. However turning it on and off didn't help at all...
Just went into the Shop and got a new one... I hope Microsoft will soon open Retail Shops in Germany, all these other resellers are super annoying with their warranty.

So good luck to everyone having the same issues. Hope my new one will just work fine!

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine actually just started doing that today. Uh oh. Hopefully it's nothing major... Thankfully I live near a Microsoft Store, so they're usually very helpful when it comes to problems, but still.

six6xis

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I live a couple of hours from a Microsoft Store but this is giving me the pre-purchase butterflies. I hope they acknowledge the issue and get it fixed soon.

Daniel Mackay

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Surface 2 a few days ago, and I have started seeing screen glitches too. I really hope this issue gets resolved soon otherwise, I'm taking mine back.

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to decide whether I should take my Surface 2 to the Microsoft store to see what they have to say. This device works perfectly except for this one problem, which is really annoying. With my luck when I bring it in it won't flicker at all. #firstworldproblems

Daniel Mackay

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I got in contact with Microsoft, and apparently there is a small number of surfaces that have this issue. They are working on a fix at the moment and it will get deployed via a windows update around December 10 or 11.

louser

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i had it happen a couple of times, same ghost touching issiue on my Vivo tab. Hasnt happened in a long time and when it did it lasted about 10 seconds each time. My vivo tab was so bad I didnt use it unitl 8.1 preview. That fixed it on the vivo tab. Going to keep an eye on this one.

Matt J

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue. It happens very rarely and a restart fixes it.... for a while. I hope it's just a software issue.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
How many of you twitchers and jitterers have Netflix app on your RT's? When I have Netflix app on my Surface 2, all sorts of problems occur. Even removing the app causes the jitters. RT hasn't had an issue since I removed it. Coincidence?

Last edited:

alexofk

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, exchanged the Surface 2 for another one which has the same problem.
It is easy to replicate, just play a graphic intensive game like asphalt, rayman, halo etc etc for awhile go back to the modern ui and the glitches start, in the game apps everything is fine.
I found out that a reboot or log off/log in resolve the glitches.
I think something is going wrong with either power management or some nvdia driver?

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem, exchanged the Surface 2 for another one which has the same problem.
It is easy to replicate, just play a graphic intensive game like asphalt, rayman, halo etc etc for awhile go back to the modern ui and the glitches start, in the game apps everything is fine.
I found out that a reboot or log off/log in resolve the glitches.
I think something is going wrong with either power management or some nvdia driver?

Did you install tuesday's firmware update? If not, only install the firmware update first, then let it reboot and then install the other updates.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
firmware update + updates was installed, makes no difference for the glitches

I had an issue on the day of the update (Office stopped working when I hit a "twerk" during the install. Had to refresh). I haven't had an issue since the update and all the windows 8.1 updates installed smoothly (which was a first).

Sanders Tracy

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I see no one has posted on this thread for a while. I received my Surface 2 on Christmas. The glitches began on the first day. They seem more common when I have several apps open - or a few high demand ones. If I restart the tablet, they go away for a little while. I'm not much of a gamer anymore so they aren't too big of a deal - just a minor distraction when working in word or excel. Still, I was wondering if anyone had any success in defeating this problem. It would be nice to do without the distraction.

alexofk

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I still have the same problem too, I found out that if I press the power button once and unlock the device again the glitches are gone, so try to do it like that instead of rebooting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte