So I recently added a 64gb MicroSD card to my Surface so I can have a place to store my music. We have a NAS, but sadly Windows RT won't connect to those.

Anyway, I say "for life" because I don't think this thing will ever come out. It went in there extremely tightly and I think it is not fused permanently. I tried to pull it out in with various implements, but no good. All I achieved was some more scratches on my case. :-/

Anyone else using one? Should they be removable?

Jimmy
    11-16-2013 11:40 AM
    It won't push in to pop out?
    11-16-2013 01:44 PM
    Nope, this is how it's supposed to work:

Removing and inserting a 64GB MicroSD card into a Surface 2
    Gergolos likes this.
    11-16-2013 02:48 PM
    We have a NAS, but sadly Windows RT won't connect to those.
    I'm just curious why doesn't your surface connect to NAS?
    I was planning to buy one and thought NAS works perfectly on windows rt as well, since it has a feature to mount network drive like all other windows
    11-18-2013 05:59 AM
    Mine doesn't push in to pop out, but it does come out with my fingernail pretty easily. The card has a little ridge on it that I can hook.

As for the NAS, you should be able to see it. If another Windows machine can connect, then the surface should be able to do this as well.

Myself I have an installation of Server Essentials 2012 and I am even able to add the music and video shares to my Surface libraries. Works great.

So I recently added a 64gb MicroSD card to my Surface so I can have a place to store my music. We have a NAS, but sadly Windows RT won't connect to those.

Anyway, I say "for life" because I don't think this thing will ever come out. It went in there extremely tightly and I think it is not fused permanently. I tried to pull it out in with various implements, but no good. All I achieved was some more scratches on my case. :-/

Anyone else using one? Should they be removable?

Jimmy
    11-18-2013 09:06 AM
    Hmm. Maybe this card is just a little bit chubbier than most. I'll fiddle with it more.

As for NAS, my Surface 2 connects to it just fine as a mapped drive. It just won't let you map it to a library. So Xbox music won't look at a NAS for media files at all.
    11-18-2013 06:06 PM
    My Surface connects to my NAS no problem.
    I have also heard of issues with SD cards getting stuck on this board.
    I would return the unit... once you get your card out.
    11-18-2013 07:20 PM
    Try adding the folder(s) to the indexed locations. You should then be able to add it to a library.

Hmm. Maybe this card is just a little bit chubbier than most. I'll fiddle with it more.

As for NAS, my Surface 2 connects to it just fine as a mapped drive. It just won't let you map it to a library. So Xbox music won't look at a NAS for media files at all.
    11-19-2013 08:43 AM
    Nope, this is how it's supposed to work:

Removing and inserting a 64GB MicroSD card into a Surface 2
    I get a "unsupported video type or invalid file path message", just info.
    11-19-2013 09:05 AM
    My Surface connects to my NAS no problem.
    Good to know!

I get a "unsupported video type or invalid file path message", just info.
    +1
    11-21-2013 08:47 AM