Transferring DVD to Surface 2

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to take a long plane trip with a toddler, and I think converting some of the DVDs I have to some type of digital format we can watch on the Surface 2 would be helpful. The problem is I'm not totally sure what I'm doing. From what I can tell there is basically 2 steps:

1) Convert to digital file (I'm using a Win7 PC for this).
2) View video file on Surface 2

What do I need for each of the steps? I know there are various programs for transferring DVDs to digital formats, but I'm not sure what format I should be choosing (if I can pick one that will allow the video file to play on both my Surface 2 and my wife's iPad that would be great). Also not sure what is a good program.

As for viewing it on the Surface 2, I'm not sure how well the built in Xbox video player really works. I tried transferring one DVD, and since the DVD would be in 480, I just made the digital file that way (figuring that would help with file size). My guess would be I could just "zoom in" on the video when it was playing, but that didn't seem to work. Is there a better program to be using for viewing the files? Or do I need to convert the files to 1080p (which to me seems kind of wasteful storage size wise)?

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
i seen many people that recommend the Handbrake which is a freeware program to rip DVD's...
Also the most common formats usually are MP4 or Avi,but i don't know if they work on the surface or the iPad
I didn't really understand what you mean with the last part.

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The last part was basically asking is there a way to zoom in, or make a video full screen, on the Surface 2, either with the Xbox video app the tablet comes with, or with another program. I know with some players in Win 7 you can take a video and make it full screen. I can't figure out how to do that with the tablet.

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
If you are willing to purchase software. .. I recommend Slysoft Any DVD and CloneDVDMobile.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Trone1942

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
i seen many people that recommend the Handbrake which is a freeware program to rip DVD's...
Also the most common formats usually are MP4 or Avi,but i don't know if they work on the surface or the iPad
I didn't really understand what you mean with the last part.
Surface supports .wmv and .avi, iPad .move or .mp4;
Handbrake cannot deal with copy-protected DVDs;
There are what I found after long searching on the Internet, also, follow the steps in the guide:

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmy5059

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, as you want to transferring DVD to Surface2 for playback. Many people recommended you Handbreak, it is free but sometimes it doesn't work well. So I suggest you to give a ry to Leawo DVD Ripper, I have used it to convert my DVD to my iPad, it really works very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeavyHanded

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I wish it were possible to just connect and external usb DVD player to surface but there is no way to make it play. Hopefully VLC RT will be out soon and that will make it possible.

doadrian

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello, look for AnyDVD (it has a trial version) and Handbrake (free). The output file should be mp4 and you will be able to play it on Surface or almost any mobile device.

BCH

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
DVD Decrypter is freeware. Rip disc with that, then use Handbrake to convert the ripped file to mp4. Cost is $0.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
DVD Decrypter is freeware. Rip disc with that, then use Handbrake to convert the ripped file to mp4. Cost is $0.
This is the "correct" answer for using a Windows system to media-shift DVDs. The OSX version of Handbrake is a single step process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb