Just lost Volume/Loudness...

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
This is strange...

I was watching a show with Volume at 100 on speakers, like I always do, and all was fine. I finished watching, loaded up another video and the volume (still at 100) seems to be now at about 10-20% of max. When I went to control panel and clicked on sound, I got a message along the lines of "Audio enhancements appear to be causing a problem, would you like to disable them?". I did and rebooted. Still the same. Even the volume through headphones has been greatly decreased.

Anyone experience this?

Further, I wonder if this is what's causing many of the low volume complaints: rather than experiencing this drop like I did, maybe other folks had this symptom right out of the box??

Anyway...other that a reset, I'm not sure how to proceed....

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Update: Well, I just uninstalled all audio drivers, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted again, and all is back to normal.

It seems Windows RT is more "old" windows than "new" windows. I've been hitting more stability issues now that I've had the device for a little while.

I love this thing, but I hope they get these kinks sorted out..

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay, weird. Same problem here. Got home tonight and suddenly I'm at 30% volume. Put it to 100 and it sounded like I was on 30. Did what you said above to fix. What the heck happened? No updates... just volume drop.

Daniel Curry

Banned
May 6, 2013
Visit site
I noticed this this morning and thought it might be the video file. But it seems we're all having the same problem! No updates, very unhappy.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Okay. Returned Surface and exchanged. New one was great... until I applied the updates. Then sound died again.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well, it happened again this morning. It appears it was caused by a firmware update that failed to install, but then installed after a reboot. Strange thing is that this update is dated Nov 12, which I had already installed. Maybe uninstalling the driver triggered something...dunno. My first case of this was not caused by an update like others are saying.

Anyway...I'll troubleshoot later tonight...no time to mess with it now.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Well, it happened again this morning. It appears it was caused by a firmware update that failed to install, but then installed after a reboot. Strange thing is that this update is dated Nov 12, which I had already installed. Maybe uninstalling the driver triggered something...dunno. My first case of this was not caused by an update like others are saying.

Anyway...I'll troubleshoot later tonight...no time to mess with it now.

If anyone wants to try it, people in the Microsoft Community have rolled back their driver and that corrected the problem.

The frustrating thing about all this is the new updates seem to make the problems worse instead of better; as they are tended to do.

Saurabh3321

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Well same thing here.
Here's my conclusion:
Surface speakers are much louder when they have "enhancements" ON. I learnt this when i got my surface and was fiddling with all the options.
Due to some update (can't say really) the sound enhancements have stopped working. Now if i go in the playback options and tick "sound enhancements" the sound stops working at all!
So this must be a software issue which is causing the sound enhancements to turn off and hence the lower sound volume.
Waiting for Microsoft to fix this.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have this also. I found where it says uninstall audio driver, but is it the reverse to reinstall? I'm a little leery of uninstalling the audio drivers without a good idea of how to put them back. Once uninstalled is the option to reinstall then showing?
This sux, why does MS give us bad updates?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I have this also. I found where it says uninstall audio driver, but is it the reverse to reinstall? I'm a little leery of uninstalling the audio drivers without a good idea of how to put them back. Once uninstalled is the option to reinstall then showing?
This sux, why does MS give us bad updates?

It works like past window versions, after uninstalling and while booting backup windows will reinstall the drivers.

dreamers123

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
This is quite weird. My lock screen icon in the settings wont lock and I had to do a refresh to get the sound working again on my surface. tried the uninstall the divers thing and it didn't do anything. which is kind of weird.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
It works like past window versions, after uninstalling and while booting backup windows will reinstall the drivers.

Thanks, tried it a few times, didn't work. For some reason I Can't get my Bluetooth to work either. Was going to see if I could route the sound thru my Bose. It connects fine after a few tries, but no sound to the paired device. Another bug?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, tried it a few times, didn't work. For some reason I Can't get my Bluetooth to work either. Was going to see if I could route the sound thru my Bose. It connects fine after a few tries, but no sound to the paired device. Another bug?

What didn't work? The sound or the driver didn't install?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Right click on the Start Button and choose Device Manager. Go to the "Sounds, video, and game..." section. Right click on the High Definition Audio and choose Uninstall. If there is a checkbox to remove the software, do it. Then right click on the nVidia Tegra Audio and Uninstall it as well. Again, check the box to remove the software.

Then restart the tablet. It will automatically put back the drivers for the audio.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to etphoto above, I rolled back the driver as my first solution didn't last. So far (fingers crossed) the sound seems to be working as before.

Glad I found that Microsoft community mentioned... well worth keeping an eye on it, I think.

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Had the same trouble with dip in sound were you couldn't here a thing with a desk fan on the background and tried a few things with drivers and that . what I find works best is to go to recovery and updates an use the refresh an then reinstall all the updates ! (this took under a half hr to do now) but the sound back to normal the past 24hrs and working normal again..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel