Would like to stream\project Surface 2 to tv

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Careful with buying things that "support" miracast. I just made 3-4 trips to and from best buy with varying bluray players that supposedly support miracast. Best buy didn't have the netgear push2tv thing in stock.

Nothing that claimed to support miracast would actually connect to my surface or laptop. Very frustrating experience. The tech just isn't standardized yet- and probably the only receivers that actually work with 8.1 are the ones MS used in their development- push2tv and the screenbeam pro.

But I don't want to spend $100 on something that has a >1000ms lag either, so I guess I'll just deal with having a really long hdmi cable. There shouldn't be that much lag- the whole point of wifi direct is to create high efficiency high bandwidth transfers. I would think it might have maybe 500ms because it's a developing technology...

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Careful with buying things that "support" miracast. I just made 3-4 trips to and from best buy with varying bluray players that supposedly support miracast. Best buy didn't have the netgear push2tv thing in stock.

Nothing that claimed to support miracast would actually connect to my surface or laptop. Very frustrating experience. The tech just isn't standardized yet- and probably the only receivers that actually work with 8.1 are the ones MS used in their development- push2tv and the screenbeam pro.

But I don't want to spend $100 on something that has a >1000ms lag either, so I guess I'll just deal with having a really long hdmi cable. There shouldn't be that much lag- the whole point of wifi direct is to create high efficiency high bandwidth transfers. I would think it might have maybe 500ms because it's a developing technology...

Just to be clear, there is no lag between audio and video, just input lag (so no good for gaming)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I understand, but input lag of those proportions (1s or greater) mostly defeats the purpose of "wireless monitor" technology- and you'd be better off using DLNA or some other streaming protocol if you can't use it for tasks that require input.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I understand, but input lag of those proportions (1s or greater) mostly defeats the purpose of "wireless monitor" technology- and you'd be better off using DLNA or some other streaming protocol if you can't use it for tasks that require input.

Fair point, i think the use cases are more for watching a movie (no need for codec support) and for presentations, etc. I really like the solution, but it's just not usable for games

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb