Another woeful review

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So I was watching the Gadget Show last night on TV (UK). Not something I normally watch and they had a someone reviewing three tablets, the Surface 2, the Asus Transformer Android tablet and of course the iPad Air. The reviewer took them all to a school to use and gave them their usual ratings out of 5. The tablets were used in three different areas, typing, camera (photos/video), and art (touch screen sensitivity).

With the Surface 2 is was the usual statements I've heard a few times from other reviewers, lack of apps, confusing, cannot run legacy software, Office is not touch optimized, here's a link to the review: The Gadget Show | Microsoft Surface 2 review by The Gadget Show

On top of that they didn't like the HD display ratio in portrait mode....

The Gadget Show has had a love affair with all things Apple for some time. The reviewer gave the Air 5/5 and the Surface 2 3/5 (same for the Transformer). The Air had more apps and was the better productive tablet because of that. Also didn't need the keyboard because it was so easy to type on the the tablet (it won the typing round and art round). He didn't like the keyboards on screen or off of the Surface 2.

Now I've been seriously thinking of buying a Surface 2 as a productive tablet but I'm having a hard time convincing the wife when these types of reviews keep popping up. I know reviewers are horrible when it comes to technology these days, if it's not Apple it's too complicated, is the mantra. Add the lack of apps statements and it becomes more troublesome.

What I want to know is, what is your experience with the Surface 2? I need some good feedback from actual users if it's worth it to buy one. I'm tired of these crap reviews. If I'm going to drop anywhere from ?400 to ?600 on a device I want to know if I'm wasting my time or not.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So I was watching the Gadget Show last night on TV (UK). Not something I normally watch and they had a someone reviewing three tablets, the Surface 2, the Asus Transformer Android tablet and of course the iPad Air. The reviewer took them all to a school to use and gave them their usual ratings out of 5. The tablets were used in three different areas, typing, camera (photos/video), and art (touch screen sensitivity).

With the Surface 2 is was the usual statements I've heard a few times from other reviewers, lack of apps, confusing, cannot run legacy software, Office is not touch optimized, here's a link to the review: The Gadget Show | Microsoft Surface 2 review by The Gadget Show

On top of that they didn't like the HD display ratio in portrait mode....

The Gadget Show has had a love affair with all things Apple for some time. The reviewer gave the Air 5/5 and the Surface 2 3/5 (same for the Transformer). The Air had more apps and was the better productive tablet because of that. Also didn't need the keyboard because it was so easy to type on the the tablet (it won the typing round and art round). He didn't like the keyboards on screen or off of the Surface 2.

Now I've been seriously thinking of buying a Surface 2 as a productive tablet but I'm having a hard time convincing the wife when these types of reviews keep popping up. I know reviewers are horrible when it comes to technology these days, if it's not Apple it's too complicated, is the mantra. Add the lack of apps statements and it becomes more troublesome.

What I want to know is, what is your experience with the Surface 2? I need some good feedback from actual users if it's worth it to buy one. I'm tired of these crap reviews. If I'm going to drop anywhere from ?400 to ?600 on a device I want to know if I'm wasting my time or not.

Jon Bentley is a bit of a tool so wouldn't worry about anything he says.

Jason Bradbury is the proper gadget geek on that show and recently praised the Surface 2 line over Apples offerings. Would take Jason's view over Jon's any day of the week.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean that the *review* was woeful, or that the review said the *Surface 2* was woeful? If the first, then you can ignore the review. If the second, it may be better to buy the iPad.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Its been said before in other threads. Posting links to "bad" reviews only gives those reviews "visits", in a sense, supporting the article. Anyways, there have been several great reviews by real Surface 2 users on this site. These reviewers are actually using the device and not picking it up, using it for a day and then writing a review. Keep in mind though, some of the reviews by users here could be on the ****** side. Scrolling through the list of threads you should find several.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Jon Bentley is a bit of a tool so wouldn't worry about anything he says.

Jason Bradbury is the proper gadget geek on that show and recently praised the Surface 2 line over Apples offerings. Would take Jason's view over Jon's any day of the week.

I'll have to find what he said then because this was the only review I found on the website.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean that the *review* was woeful, or that the review said the *Surface 2* was woeful? If the first, then you can ignore the review. If the second, it may be better to buy the iPad.

I will never buy anything Apple. I'm pretty sure with your negative connotations to anything MS you would prefer I say the Surface 2 was bad. I'm looking to purchase something useful, not a toy.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Its been said before in other threads. Posting links to "bad" reviews only gives those reviews "visits", in a sense, supporting the article. Anyways, there have been several great reviews by real Surface 2 users on this site. These reviewers are actually using the device and not picking it up, using it for a day and then writing a review. Keep in mind though, some of the reviews by users here could be on the ****** side. Scrolling through the list of threads you should find several.

I was hoping people would give me some feedback here so I didn't have to go searching everywhere.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

It would seem his praise was for the Surface Pro 2, not the Surface 2. I don't really want a Surface Pro 2, nothing against it but it's a bit too pricey for my needs.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The accuracy of these reviews comes down to personal opinion (barring outright lies). Most reviews are opinions anyway, and they are supposed to be to a point. On iMore, this same review would be held as highly accurate. Of course here it isn't, because it doesn't say what we want to hear. Androidcentral would likely have the same opinion. If you look through the thread titles on WPCentral, you will see derogatory remarks towards anyone who publishes an article speaking negatively towards Microsoft products. Likewise, any review praising the same is said to be accurate and the author is worshiped.

If you want to be convinced that buying a Surface 2 is the correct move, go look for reviews praising it. You shouldn't need any more persuasion!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The accuracy of these reviews comes down to personal opinion (barring outright lies). Most reviews are opinions anyway, and they are supposed to be to a point. On iMore, this same review would be held as highly accurate. Of course here it isn't, because it doesn't say what we want to hear. Androidcentral would likely have the same opinion. If you look through the thread titles on WPCentral, you will see derogatory remarks towards anyone who publishes an article speaking negatively towards Microsoft products. Likewise, any review praising the same is said to be accurate and the author is worshiped.

If you want to be convinced that buying a Surface 2 is the correct move, go look for reviews praising it. You shouldn't need any more persuasion!

I'm not looking for a praising review, I'm looking for reality. I'm tired of reviewers saying the same trope over and over again. They just spout nonsense and give no backing as to why. Why didn't this particular reviewer say anything about true multitasking? Or that it has a full web browser or you don't need the multitude of web apps because of the web browser access, etc. Thing is this is what I'm looking for. A review to tell me the good, the bad and the ugly in real terms. Real usability vs perceived.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not looking for a praising review, I'm looking for reality. I'm tired of reviewers saying the same trope over and over again. They just spout nonsense and give no backing as to why. Why didn't this particular reviewer say anything about true multitasking? Or that it has a full web browser or you don't need the multitude of web apps because of the web browser access, etc. Thing is this is what I'm looking for. A review to tell me the good, the bad and the ugly in real terms. Real usability vs perceived.

You made my point!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I will never buy anything Apple. I'm pretty sure with your negative connotations to anything MS you would prefer I say the Surface 2 was bad. I'm looking to purchase something useful, not a toy.

Not sure why you think I have a negative view of Microsoft, and my preference (if I have one) for how you answer the question is irrelevant. I note your bias against Apple - would you not buy an Apple product if it was the best option? If you make purchasing decisions based on prejudice rather than logic then you already know what to do. Otherwise, I think this depends on what you want. If you want a tablet that is also a full PC capable of running "proper" Windows software, then the Surface 2 is a good bet. The iPad, Android and Windows RT tablets won't meet your needs. The Surface 2 seems to get reasonable reviews from what I've seen. Personally, I find a 10.6 inch screen too small for laptop-type use, so I prefer have a laptop and a tablet, but that's just my opinion. I see people working on smaller tablets, so clearly others have a different view, and of course having just one device has advantages - more data in one place, no need to decide which device to take with you, etc.

I'd recommend to go and try a Surface 2 in a shop. See how you find standard Windows applications on a touchscreen, and if you like the modern UI. There are also other Windows 8 tablets available, and laptops with touchscreens that convert to tablets - they may also be worth considering.

GreatCanadian

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
....If you want a tablet that is also a full PC capable of running "proper" Windows software, then the Surface 2 is a good bet. The iPad, Android and Windows RT tablets won't meet your needs....

Not sure if I am misunderstanding you, or if you misunderstand the Surface 2. The Surface 2 runs Windows RT. If what you are calling "proper" software are Windows legacy applications, then the Surface 2 will not run these. The Surface Pro and Pro 2 will.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why you think I have a negative view of Microsoft, and my preference (if I have one) for how you answer the question is irrelevant. I note your bias against Apple - would you not buy an Apple product if it was the best option? If you make purchasing decisions based on prejudice rather than logic then you already know what to do.

Just past things you've said regarding MS. In any case I don't want an Apple device because I have no investment at all in their ecosystem. I own nothing Apple and I don't see a reason to. There's nothing about the devices that appeal to me. I have nothing against Apple personally. They just do what they do and people like it. I'm just not one of them.

Otherwise, I think this depends on what you want. If you want a tablet that is also a full PC capable of running "proper" Windows software, then the Surface 2 is a good bet. The iPad, Android and Windows RT tablets won't meet your needs. The Surface 2 seems to get reasonable reviews from what I've seen. Personally, I find a 10.6 inch screen too small for laptop-type use, so I prefer have a laptop and a tablet, but that's just my opinion. I see people working on smaller tablets, so clearly others have a different view, and of course having just one device has advantages - more data in one place, no need to decide which device to take with you, etc.

I own an Android tablet so I'm thinking productivity. Android doesn't really cut it for that. Also I want something light and with long battery life, Surface Pro 2 is out as well as majority of laptops.

I'd recommend to go and try a Surface 2 in a shop. See how you find standard Windows applications on a touchscreen, and if you like the modern UI. There are also other Windows 8 tablets available, and laptops with touchscreens that convert to tablets - they may also be worth considering.

Here in the UK, trying to find a Surface 2 in a shop and having it operational is a bit of a joke currently. One of the things that pisses me off about MS currently. Their marketing in the UK is pathetic. As for other possible options I'm open to anything as long as it meet the the two criteria of being usable and light.

Lastly, I was asking for opinions of people who actually own one, so far I've hit zero on this thread. Aside from martincmc78, who owns a Surface RT.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
My wife's father recently was looking to get a tablet, and I was asked to offer my opinion. Unfortunately, he went to Best Buy before receiving my opinion, and the Best Buy folks steered him to a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, costing $279. I know...shock! I had recommended that he either get the original Surface for $199 (the Black Friday pricing...can get it for even less at some other places now) or get the Dell Venue Pro 8 for $299 (been cheaper). I did this recommendation because the simple fact is, Windows RT is good enough for 90% of people. The ones it is not good enough for are those with special apps needs or ones who want all of the latest game apps and/or this week's hot new social app. Windows is probably the easiest to use once you do a quick training on how you get to everything.

These reviews, unfortunately, are made by people who pretend they know a lot about tech and what other people need/want, which is why they tend to recommend the "safe" pick of Apple. In reality, they are clueless and simply putting forth their opinion after either failing to allow themselves to re-learn a different interface, or letting go of their inherent biases. In reality, you and I both know that the Surface 2 is, for most uses, superior to the iPad. It just is. The iPad only has aspect ratio, latest games, and niche apps over the Surface, and that lead is slowly fading for new apps. The Start screen is infinity more useful than the iOS home screen and having Office on board, with scheduled improvements on the way, is a big deal.

The fact that you can also use full USB (with all the accessories that can be used on it) as well as HDMI out, is just icing on the cake. If you want a tablet that can double as a productivity machine, it's a no brainer to get a Windows 8.1/RT based tablet. Personally, if you were willing to give up a little screen size, I still think the Dell is an outstanding value, and has full blown Windows. But the Surface 2 is a great tablet and no iOS lover's poor review can change that.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping people would give me some feedback here so I didn't have to go searching everywhere.

As usual, 99% of all websites are designed to tell their target audience what they want to hear, rather than what is true. Anandtech is one of the few exceptions. If you haven't yet, I would recommend you take a look at their Surface 2 review.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not looking for a praising review, I'm looking for reality.

Here's some reality for you: until Windows 7 I avoided Microsoft like the plague. I used Ubuntu, I used OS X, and when I had to run Windows I ran it in a VM on Ubuntu or OS X. I had a Windows Mobile phone once, but quickly ditched it in favor of Blackberry and later the iPhone. But when Windows 7 came out, I actually used it as a stand-alone operating system at work.

When Windows Phone 7 came out, I was intrigued. We were switching mobile providers here at work, and the new provider loaned us a few Windows Phone 7 handsets to test with. I really liked it. I think iOS on the iPhone is awesome and prior to that point wouldn't have considered anything but an iPhone, but I kinda wanted a Windows Phone. When Windows Phone 8 was nearing release, I really wanted one.

When Windows 8 came out, I tested the previews in a VM and I hated it. On my big work monitor I run my VMs windowed, so I'd constantly overshoot the hotspots in the corners. Once I tried it not in a VM - or in a fullscreen VM - I really liked it. I decided to switch to Windows 8 when it was released.

So, at that point, I'd gone from avoiding anything Microsoft to liking and running their new desktop OS and lusting after a Nokia Lumia 920. Which, of course, I bought the first week. It was problematic and I returned it. I cycled through an 8X and an 820 before I returned to my iPhone. But I kept my ear to the ground with regards to Windows Phone 8, and a couple of months back - hearing that GDR2 was about to be released - I picked up another 920 and it's been perfect.

All of this is to show that I'm not a Microsoft ******. I'm a technology user who has found Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 to be the environment that works for me.

Related to the point at hand: I had a Google Nexus 7 tablet for a while. It did not work for me. I'm not a big Android fan, and I just really didn't like the tablet itself. Based on my appreciation for iOS on the iPhone I tried an iPad Mini for a while; that didn't work out. I don't think iOS "scales up" well for tablet use... it felt just like a big, clunky iPhone without the phone. Plus, I really had no use for a tablet; if I'm at work I have my desktop, at home I have my laptop, and in between I have my phone.

I was looking to get a Kindle, though, right about the time they dropped the price on the original Surface RT. I decided that since Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 were working so well for me, I'd give a Surface RT a chance and bought one. It was an eye opener. This is a great little device; it has all but replaced by home laptop, and that's because it's not just a content consumption device like the iPad. With its USB port and Bluetooth connectivity, I can use external keyboards and mice, thumbdrives, external hard drives, you name it. With the built-in Skydrive and Office, I can do actual work just like I do in my office, not on some watered-down Office-compatible set of apps. I can take it with me, prop it up on a table, and turn it around so that other people can see what I'm looking at for presentations and such. And if I find myself limited because of the small screen? For $20 or so I can buy an adapter to hook up an external monitor. There is no other tablet which gives you that much functionality (and by that I mean iPad/Android - there are other Windows tablets which do).

All the comments about lack of apps are worthy of the hand-job gesture. Sure, you can't install desktop x86 apps on the RT tablets, but if you want to install desktop x86 apps you shouldn't get an RT tablet; get the Pro. Or another, similar Windows 8 tablet from another manufacturer. The point is that it's a baseless comment.

So anyway, I've gone from an anti-MS, anti-tablet guy to a happy and productive user of a Surface RT tablet based on the strength of Windows 8/Windows Phone 8/Windows RT and nothing else. If those products didn't work for me, I wouldn't use them.

I realize that you don't know me from Adam and so my experiences and opinions are probably worthless to you, and I also realize you're talking about the Surface 2/Surface Pro 2 and not the originals, but you wanted some reality. This is my reality. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss