An observation: Asphalt 8 graphics

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys!
So I've been playing a lot of Asphalt 8 the last couple of days (been home, sick) and I noticed that the graphics on my Surface 2 isn't as nice as on my friends iPad, even tho its "only" an iPad 4... Theres dynamic shadows, particle lensflare, and motion blur, all which is missing on my Surface 2. And the framerates seems to be better on the iPad aswel! The Surface should be far ahead in graphics performance, according to specs, and in, lets say 3Dmark RT, where the surface 2 scores around 14k points and the iPad 4 around 10k!

I'm guessing that the game hasn't yet been optimized for Windows RT.. but maybe it has something to do with the current NVIDIA driver, being as crappy as they are! The surface 2 should be able to handle these graphics as well, maybe even at smoother frame rates.... and, as a side note, according to 3Dmark RT it should be able to score at least the same as other Tegra 4 tablets and phones, and at the moment it doesn't (its at least 2000 points behind).

Just an observation, and a bit of frustration not getting the maximum out of my hardware! And not being able to own my friends ooooold iPad 4! :)

Cheers!

nad6234

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree, I've also noticed a difference with the iPad2 having some subtle improvements over the Surface 2. I think it is just the law of economics - that game is on pretty much all platforms, so I guess they just optimise for the most popular, numerically speaking.

I don't think it is a snub, and as a software developer myself, you sometimes just need a way of prioritising things!

A question that I do have, is that I'm guessing that the code/graphics layer was ported - does anyone know what they are using?

ctitanic

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I've also noticed a difference with the iPad2 having some subtle improvements over the Surface 2. I think it is just the law of economics - that game is on pretty much all platforms, so I guess they just optimise for the most popular, numerically speaking.

I don't think it is a snub, and as a software developer myself, you sometimes just need a way of prioritising things!

A question that I do have, is that I'm guessing that the code/graphics layer was ported - does anyone know what they are using?

In this case I think that they optimized for the Surface RT which is slower.

Saint Michael

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
If you notice, the asphalt 8 on WP looks like it does on your Friend's ipad, I think it's due to resolution it needs to push excreta. Or maybe it's optimized for a lower bar og GPU because it wants to fit all windows rt devices. I've similar graphics on the Samsung tablets

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In this case I think that they optimized for the Surface RT which is slower.

This is a more likely reason. Surface was already a generation behind when it was released which means a lot of developers are still going to program for the lowest common denominator for RT devices (i.e. the Tegra 3).

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly it, all game developers optimise their games for the lowest common denominator. In this case it's the original Surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett