Can't buy Surface 2 anywhere online since Thursday 28th

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Just ordered my from best buy.com about 3hrs ago, choose expedited shipping, shows estimated delivery of the 17th or 18th...and I already got my $25 promo windows store card....

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Also, I see that on the Windows store online that if you purchase a surface you can get a touch cover for $49.99 .... Do I have to buy directly from Microsoft or could I provide proof of purchase in order to get the deal?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just bought a 64gb surface 2 on eBay for $500 +shipping. The box is opened but the sale was marked as new/unused.

Finally the search comes to an end for me. Good luck everyone!

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Update from my purchase Sunday morning. I received an email stating my surface 2 had shipped today at 3:15pm and was provided a tracking number. Tracking number hasn't been updated yet so as of now, I don't know when expected delivery is. But at least its on its way

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Wow, received my tracking number earlier tonight, will be here on Wednesday. Can't wait! Good luck to those who are still trying to order. Have you guys tried tigerdirect? We have a brick and mortar here in Jacksonville and they had some in stock this past weekend but I was a hair too late and missed out. Just a thought, I've never dealt with them so I don't know the reliability.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I have been trying to buy a Surface 2 online since Thursday. I work on an American Base overseas could have easily had it shipped to my APO mailbox but it is nowhere. I have checked (since Thursday afternoon) Microsoft store.com, bestBuy.com, Target.com, Walmart.com, and newegg.com and Amazon.com (both selling it at a wicked markup). I wonder if they ALL just had a small stock of Surface 2's and they sold out.

Paul Thurrott finally wrote about it. Really doesn't give any answers though. Microsoft Surface 2 Sold Out? | Paul Thurrotts WinInfo content from Windows IT Pro

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Paul with the idea of that Microsoft didn't manufacture as much of Surface 2 as with the original surface. It makes sense, they were burned no less than a year ago and wanted to tread a bit lighter this time around.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree with Paul with the idea of that Microsoft didn't manufacture as much of Surface 2 as with the original surface. It makes sense, they were burned no less than a year ago and wanted to tread a bit lighter this time around.

I read that piece too. Sounds logical that MS would under produce this time around, though arguably they do have a much better product (hardware + software) as compared to their version 1 release. I really wish MS would actually come out and say what the actual numbers are - though I don't expect them to. I would hope the numbers are good because (1) the Surface 2 (can't speak for the Pro 2 as I have not used it) is an excellent device and (2) I really would like the tablet market to be split three ways between Apple, Google/ Android and MS. More choice; more options!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
This is how Microsoft deals with things. I've often said that what they're doing with the Surface is virtually identical to what they did with the Zune. That is why I have not been surprised by and correctly predicted the Black Friday deals on the RT and the scarcity of the Surface 2.

Microsoft was overly cautious and overly conservative in the build quality of the RT. Just like the Zune 30... built like a tank. They understand the importance of making a good first impression (with the hardware anyways)... regarding software they seem to take the approach that there's never enough time to do it right, but there is always time to fix it.

There are a few reasons for the scarcity of the Surface 2 (if I use the Zune as an historical guide)... First is a deliberate over correction in the available inventory. But their intention was NOT to manipulate expectations or give an inflated view of demand. It was, I believe, because they made some significant under-the-hood changes for the 2nd gen and were not entirely comfortable with the level of quality. That happened with the Zune 80... many reports of manufacturing defects, hair under the glass, dust, scratches, misaligned squircles, etc. Similar reports have been coming in regarding the Surface 2. These issues have most likely been ironed out by now, and certainly by early next year.

If the "Zune trajectory" continues to hold true, then I expect the Surface 3 to be the generation where the quality of the hardware and software converge. THAT is when I intend to upgrade my RT to the Surface 3 and keep it for the long haul... as with my Zune HD... 4 years later and still going strong, still looking contemporary.

just my thoughts.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
This is how Microsoft deals with things. I've often said that what they're doing with the Surface is virtually identical to what they did with the Zune. That is why I have not been surprised by and correctly predicted the Black Friday deals on the RT and the scarcity of the Surface 2.

Microsoft was overly cautious and overly conservative in the build quality of the RT. Just like the Zune 30... built like a tank. They understand the importance of making a good first impression (with the hardware anyways)... regarding software they seem to take the approach that there's never enough time to do it right, but there is always time to fix it.

There are a few reasons for the scarcity of the Surface 2 (if I use the Zune as an historical guide)... First is a deliberate over correction in the available inventory. But their intention was NOT to manipulate expectations or give an inflated view of demand. It was, I believe, because they made some significant under-the-hood changes for the 2nd gen and were not entirely comfortable with the level of quality. That happened with the Zune 80... many reports of manufacturing defects, hair under the glass, dust, scratches, misaligned squircles, etc. Similar reports have been coming in regarding the Surface 2. These issues have most likely been ironed out by now, and certainly by early next year.

If the "Zune trajectory" continues to hold true, then I expect the Surface 3 to be the generation where the quality of the hardware and software converge. THAT is when I intend to upgrade my RT to the Surface 3 and keep it for the long haul... as with my Zune HD... 4 years later and still going strong, still looking contemporary.

just my thoughts.

I don't think that there have been more hardware bugs with the Surface 2 than with the Surface rt. I actually just think more people are buying them.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I don't think that there have been more hardware bugs with the Surface 2 than with the Surface rt. I actually just think more people are buying them.
Anecdotally there are more issues with the Surface 2 than the RT... and actually there are more people buying RTs over the last month than the 2, simply because (A) they've been a heckuva lot cheaper and (B) they've been easier to find

Garrett Jimenez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Received my 32gb Surface 2 today in all its gloriousness. Bought it Sunday morning, shipped Monday and delivered today. Not bad from BestBuy, especially since they constantly sell out of surfaces online

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have an answer for you guys. I work at a staples store in Manitoba and had to get a Surface 2 for a customer. Turns out after emailing my buyer that there is an issue with the Surface 2s, I'm assuming it was just a bad batch because nobody has really had complaints about any defects. But yeah, they don't have an ETA on an in stock date. But there was an issue

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99