Desktop view is really weird...

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
When I opened my Surface 2 after it being off the charger for 5 hours, it was at 56% and really warm. I went to the desktop to check the battery but I noticed the whole desktop toolbar was smaller than normal. I went to the control panel and noticed that the wording in the control panel window is really blurry. I haven't done anything to my Surface since last night. I checked the updates and there was only Windows Defender. Anyone know how to fix this issue? Here are the screen shots I took

Screenshot (1).jpg

Screenshot (2).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).jpg
    Screenshot (1).jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 6

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
You may have the Taskbar set to use small icons. Right click on the Taskbar, then click Properties. Untick "Use small taskbar buttons" if it is ticked.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I went to the control panel and noticed that the wording in the control panel window is really blurry.

the blurry might be caused by scaling. since everything on a 10.6 inch 1080P at 100% will be very tiny, Microsoft set the default scaling to 150%. but if the programs aren't written with scaling in mind (like device manager) they'll look blurry.

also do you have other PCs on this Microsoft Account? if the settings for the task bar are changed on another computer it'll sync with your surface.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
the blurry might be caused by scaling. since everything on a 10.6 inch 1080P at 100% will be very tiny, Microsoft set the default scaling to 150%. but if the programs aren't written with scaling in mind (like device manager) they'll look blurry.

also do you have other PCs on this Microsoft Account? if the settings for the task bar are changed on another computer it'll sync with your surface.

My laptop is running 8. Not, 8.1, so I don't think it would sync. I haven't changed any setting either.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked the setting for using small icons on the Taskbar and the scaling settings, what are they set to? Do you have "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" ticked in the Display settings?

You could also try restoring to a previous point in time using System Restore, if you have restore points available.

ttxzee

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Don't think Win RT has System Restore, but i just remember something... if all else fails, try the "Refresh" feature found in PC settings -> Update and recovery -> Recovery. since it's Win RT, you'll have a fresh windows without loosing any apps, files or anything!

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Don't think Win RT has System Restore, but i just remember something... if all else fails, try the "Refresh" feature found in PC settings -> Update and recovery -> Recovery. since it's Win RT, you'll have a fresh windows without loosing any apps, files or anything!
Ah yes, good point :)

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
My laptop is running 8. Not, 8.1, so I don't think it would sync. I haven't changed any setting either.

Caution- I had a very random very weird display glitch in 8.0. With multiple monitors, metro would run at a lower frame rate on some monitors but not others. Weeks of crying, drinking, praying to the computer gods, etc, ensued.

Every time I formatted and reinstalled 8, the issue would be gone for 5 minutes, then appear again.

I eventually discovered 8 was syncing corrupted settings to my computer every time I formatted -_-
So if it is related to a sync setting, it will follow you past every reset/format/reinstall.

I fixed my issue by simply toggling "change settings for best performance" and "let windows set the best settings for my PC" in system properties.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

This is good advice.

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. Some how my settings on my scaling were set to the smallest. I don't know how since I never changed it. But it's fixed now!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
When I opened my Surface 2 after it being off the charger for 5 hours, it was at 56% and really warm. I went to the desktop to check the battery but I noticed the whole desktop toolbar was smaller than normal. I went to the control panel and noticed that the wording in the control panel window is really blurry. I haven't done anything to my Surface since last night. I checked the updates and there was only Windows Defender. Anyone know how to fix this issue? Here are the screen shots I took

View attachment 51133

View attachment 51135

The thing no one seems to be acknowledging is the fact that you said the device was very warm. As a rule devices with ARM processors should not get particularly warm even under heavy load and certainly not when they should have been off. Like all devices though, they can still overheat particularly if there is a defective component. What you described is some of the random stuff that occurred after my original Surface RT tablet overheated last year. Microsoft subsequently confirmed it was either a defective processor that damaged the system by overheating or was some other board failure that triggered the processor to overheat and shipped me a replacement unit. If you did not change any settings and the only notable event prior to you finding them changed was a hot device, be aware you might start finding other problems and/or random events down the line. BTW, when I contacted Microsoft last year about the Surface RT and said it had gotten warm to the touch and subsequently had random display quirks they didn't even ask any further questions. They simply confirmed my address to ship a replacement....

matthoms

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The thing no one seems to be acknowledging is the fact that you said the device was very warm. As a rule devices with ARM processors should not get particularly warm even under heavy load and certainly not when they should have been off. Like all devices though, they can still overheat particularly if there is a defective component. What you described is some of the random stuff that occurred after my original Surface RT tablet overheated last year. Microsoft subsequently confirmed it was either a defective processor that damaged the system by overheating or was some other board failure that triggered the processor to overheat and shipped me a replacement unit. If you did not change any settings and the only notable event prior to you finding them changed was a hot device, be aware you might start finding other problems and/or random events down the line. BTW, when I contacted Microsoft last year about the Surface RT and said it had gotten warm to the touch and subsequently had random display quirks they didn't even ask any further questions. They simply confirmed my address to ship a replacement....

I read an article, I can't remember where, maybe on WpCentral, but it did say that Microsoft is aware of the warming issue and will fix it in the next major update in December or January. It is due to the high amount of graphics being processed. If it continues after the update, I'll call em. I do appreciate the advice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss