Advanced PDF reader?

kang li

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Because there is no desktop Acrobat Reader, I assume there is no advanced PDF reader in Surface 2, right?

I have a signature signed PDF file I need to trust and fill in data.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this is one thing that I wish the MS-RT ecosystem had. My benchmark for this is PDFExpert on the iPad and Mantano on Android. Ideally, I'd like apps like these two and if I did, then I'd jettison both my Nexus 10 and my iPad4!!!!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I mailed PDF Expert and they reverted back saying that they are concentrating on the iOS platform and are not looking to work on any other platform in the foreseeable future. This is a pity because their version 5 (which costs ?6.99 and which I got for free due to some promotion) is excellent! I think the Windows RT store needs just one app like this in each category and it will be set.

kang li

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I mailed PDF Expert and they reverted back saying that they are concentrating on the iOS platform and are not looking to work on any other platform in the foreseeable future. This is a pity because their version 5 (which costs ?6.99 and which I got for free due to some promotion) is excellent! I think the Windows RT store needs just one app like this in each category and it will be set.

Adobe has Reader Touch they can simply add some important features, even with a paid version is fine. Sad.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Adobe has Reader Touch they can simply add some important features, even with a paid version is fine. Sad.

I don't like how Adobe has done up their PDF solution. PDF Expert (in iOS) and Mantano (on Android) are way better. I wish MS would buy a PDF solution company and create a feature rich solution for the RT platform. They should also charge for it. It may convince developers that users of the RT platform would buy quality apps.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Agreed, I have used Goodreader and PDF Expert every day on my iPad for years. These apps are great for work, and with the ability to sync with webdav and other cloud sites, they become an excellent hub for a document work on the tablet. The surface doesn't seem to have anything like these apps, and that is a real shame.

I know I can use standard windows folders and desktop type synchronization, but his is supposed to be a tablet. If I wanted a laptop experience, I'd buy a proper laptop.

To me, this is one of the big failings of the MS ecosystem, and one of the big things that will keep me from adopting Surfaces for my workforce. We can use the one I bought for IT, but it looks like iPads for the BoD and management.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Use Drawboard PDF. Its by far the most advanced PDF app for Metro.

As to cloud syncing... we have native Skydrive cloud syncing. Why would you prefer a closed cloud that only supports one app and may not even work on the desktop, when you can use an open cloud that works on any platform with any app??

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Use Drawboard PDF. Its by far the most advanced PDF app for Metro.

As to cloud syncing... we have native Skydrive cloud syncing. Why would you prefer a closed cloud that only supports one app and may not even work on the desktop, when you can use an open cloud that works on any platform with any app??

I tried Drawboard, it's a real shame that that is the best this platform has to offer. It is no where near the quality of GoodReader or PDF Expert even on an iPad 1! I have noticed that the rendering engines are just bad in all PDF readers on the Surface 2. Is this some sort of OS limitation, or has no one, including Adobe or MS, written a decent program? The text is nowhere near as crisp, and quickly scalable, as on even my oldest ipad, with a 1024x768 screen. And the iPad Air just blows everyone away. I have also noticed that text selection is very hit or miss in most programs, mostly miss. Other than for ePubs and PDFs, which the iPad is the only choice at this time IMHO, I love the Surface 2. It is almost a complete laptop replacement for me.

As far as cloud syncing goes, Skydrive is perfectly fine for home (loving my free 200gb), but I can't use it for work. We had to role our own solution as consumer grade cloud services are not HIPAA, SOX or FDIC compliant. I think Skydrive Pro is, but I don't want/need that.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I tried Drawboard, it's a real shame that that is the best this platform has to offer. It is no where near the quality of GoodReader or PDF Expert even on an iPad 1! I have noticed that the rendering engines are just bad in all PDF readers on the Surface 2. Is this some sort of OS limitation, or has no one, including Adobe or MS, written a decent program? The text is nowhere near as crisp, and quickly scalable, as on even my oldest ipad, with a 1024x768 screen. And the iPad Air just blows everyone away. I have also noticed that text selection is very hit or miss in most programs, mostly miss. Other than for ePubs and PDFs, which the iPad is the only choice at this time IMHO, I love the Surface 2. It is almost a complete laptop replacement for me.
As far as cloud syncing goes, Skydrive is perfectly fine for home (loving my free 200gb), but I can't use it for work. We had to role our own solution as consumer grade cloud services are not HIPAA, SOX or FDIC compliant. I think Skydrive Pro is, but I don't want/need that.

Thanks for the report! I completely agree with you on the part in bold above!

Edit: I am also using the 200GB of SkyDrive - I use it for work and for personal use (since my work place has no problems on that issue).

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try both GoodReader and PDF Expert. I've been using Foxit Reader on my iPad Mini, which I thought was great, but I can always switch for an even better app.

I would try talking to the guys at Drawboard, they are amazingly responsive. I have several issues with their handling file saves, which they actually responded to and addressed. Maybe you can point them in the right direction.

@mclark As to Skydrive vs other clouds aren't they all probably non-HIPPA compliant except for Skydrive Pro or other (pricey) business and likely desktop focused solutions?

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Try PDF Expert first (I've switched completely over to it), Goodreader hasn't been updated to iOS 7 yet, and still has some stability issues. They keep saying a new version is coming, but hey have been saying that since Sept.

We are using a Barracuda box to sync our document portal to mobile user's iPad's in PDF Expert. It's an SSL connection and uses AD credentials for the permissions, really nice solution.

Alistair PDF

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I tried Drawboard, it's a real shame that that is the best this platform has to offer. It is no where near the quality of GoodReader or PDF Expert even on an iPad 1! I have noticed that the rendering engines are just bad in all PDF readers on the Surface 2. Is this some sort of OS limitation, or has no one, including Adobe or MS, written a decent program? The text is nowhere near as crisp, and quickly scalable, as on even my oldest ipad, with a 1024x768 screen.

Hi mclark2112,

Alistair from Drawboard here. We have been working on ways to enhance the clarity of PDFs, and we think our next update will have a major improvement. This update should be available in about two weeks.

In regards to making Drawboard a PDF app rivalling those on other platforms... we are working on it! Because Windows 8 is a young platform, there aren't as many tools available for PDF editing as you would expect, so development time is long.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi mclark2112,

Alistair from Drawboard here. We have been working on ways to enhance the clarity of PDFs, and we think our next update will have a major improvement. This update should be available in about two weeks.

In regards to making Drawboard a PDF app rivalling those on other platforms... we are working on it! Because Windows 8 is a young platform, there aren't as many tools available for PDF editing as you would expect, so development time is long.

Thanks for the response! Like I said, you have the best app out there right now, I look forward to your update.

boliveira

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

A feature that is missing in all pdf readers for WinRT that I have tried and I think would be really, really helpful, is to allow to change the background and foreground colors used to view the pdfs. I can't read pdfs at night with a white background, it is too bright, even when I set the brightness on my surface to the minimum and it hurts my eyes a lot. Please, pdf viewer developers for WinRT, make it possible to select background and foreground colors, I would really appreciate it!!

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Drawboard just updated their app, wow! Hands down the best PDF experience on the surface. Text looks great, on a par with my ipad now. Great job guys!

Hi mclark2112,

arron lee1

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
it is true that advanced pdf reader should consider this aspect to protect our eyes, and give us the right brightness. and if we can generate pdf through the reader whenever we want.
this is a function i want for my
pdf reader. any suggestions?
Hi, someimage.
I am testing with the related PDF reading projects these days. You can also google it and select one whose way of processing is simple and fast to help you with the related converting work. It will be better if it is totally manual and can be customized by users according to our own favors. Remember to check its free trial package first if possible. I hope you success. Good luck.

Best regards,
Arron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos