Battery drain during sleep mode

Ronald Kaulbach

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi. A short question for all Sufrace 2 owners. What is your average battery consumption for 6-8 hours night break? Last night it has been 11% for 7 hours which I find a lot. Any ideas why it is so high or is it normal?

Thanks, Ron

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
I have the same problem. The surface seems to lose 10-15% a day in sleep mode. Is there a setting I'm missing? My ipad might be 1% a day at its worst.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine got just 1% drain tonight, but I have tweaked it a bit:

-Bluetooth off
-Email push every 1 hour
-Windows logging disabled
-Windows defender disabled
-Only 3 background agents: Mail, Skype, Facebook
-Static Lockscreen Wallpaper and No Camera from Lockscreen

Pretty happy with the results :smile:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Mine got just 1% drain tonight, but I have tweaked it a bit:

-Bluetooth off
-Email push every 1 hour
-Windows logging disabled
-Windows defender disabled
-Only 3 background agents: Mail, Skype, Facebook
-Static Lockscreen Wallpaper and No Camera from Lockscreen

Pretty happy with the results :smile:
How does the last help - the No Camera from Lockscreen?

And, how do you shut off/ on background apps?

Thanks

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
How does the last help - the No Camera from Lockscreen?

And, how do you shut off/ on background apps?

Thanks

The last helps because Camera would stay on "standby mode", so partially opened in background for faster loading when swiping down the lockscreen, it's a background agent too.

To disable other background agents go to Charm -> Settings ->_PC Settings -> And change Lockscreen/Background programs from there

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
The last helps because Camera would stay on "standby mode", so partially opened in background for faster loading when swiping down the lockscreen, it's a background agent too.

To disable other background agents go to Charm -> Settings ->_PC Settings -> And change Lockscreen/Background programs from there

Thanks very much. I turned off the camera and a few of the apps - like Viber, Alarm (since I have never used it in the time that I have had the Surface (both generations), Skype (I have Viber and Twitter on my phone and it best stays there).

Let's see if this makes a difference. Also, technically, then this should also make a difference when using the device on battery too, right?

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. The surface seems to lose 10-15% a day in sleep mode. Is there a setting I'm missing? My ipad might be 1% a day at its worst.
Same for me. It bugs me out a bit but I guess we just have to live with it. I don't get why standby consumes so much energy while other platforms handle this much better while delivering the same service (also connected to Wi-Fi, getting mails etc.). When using the S2 actively the battery is quite good though I think!

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much. I turned off the camera and a few of the apps - like Viber, Alarm (since I have never used it in the time that I have had the Surface (both generations), Skype (I have Viber and Twitter on my phone and it best stays there).

Let's see if this makes a difference. Also, technically, then this should also make a difference when using the device on battery too, right?

Yep

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site

Thanks, just turned off all the background apps, bluetooth was off, and I turned off the camera. Lets see what I get after a full charge now...

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a theory that a lot of the BSoD and Tegra driver issues people have been having are causing battery drain.

If you look at your event log (even if you haven't experienced the above) you will probably see various issues like driver crashes etc... these happen while the device is asleep as well as awake so means the processor is being used etc... which in turn means the battery is drained more.

Some on the Microsoft Community who have managed to fix their BSoD and driver issues are reporting improved battery life.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a theory that a lot of the BSoD and Tegra driver issues people have been having are causing battery drain.

If you look at your event log (even if you haven't experienced the above) you will probably see various issues like driver crashes etc... these happen while the device is asleep as well as awake so means the processor is being used etc... which in turn means the battery is drained more.

Some on the Microsoft Community who have managed to fix their BSoD and driver issues are reporting improved battery life.

Makes sense. Now if I could only fix the driver issue...given that MS is as usual slacking!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

dancfuller

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually was going to post about the same thing about idle battery life. MS markets it as having "7-15 days" of idle battery life which looks to be wide enough to cover people with lots of background notification services running and people with none other than the normal system-level stuff. Unplugging my fully charged device, it will be dead within 24 hours even if I never take it out of idle. In-use battery life is still excellent, so I don't think it's hardware-related. I'll take a look through the event logs as the people above me mentioned.

Update: Checked my event logs, and the Windows→System log is packed with "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." entries.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers