Hi. A short question for all Sufrace 2 owners. What is your average battery consumption for 6-8 hours night break? Last night it has been 11% for 7 hours which I find a lot. Any ideas why it is so high or is it normal?

Thanks, Ron
    12-06-2013 02:17 AM
    Don't know. Mine charges during those hours. But I will test over the weekend and will report.
    12-06-2013 02:29 AM
    I have the same problem. The surface seems to lose 10-15% a day in sleep mode. Is there a setting I'm missing? My ipad might be 1% a day at its worst.
    02-10-2014 07:23 PM
    Maybe you have things running in the background like the email app set to notify you as soon as an email arrives, and other things.
    02-10-2014 09:14 PM
    Mine got just 1% drain tonight, but I have tweaked it a bit:

-Bluetooth off
    -Email push every 1 hour
    -Windows logging disabled
    -Windows defender disabled
    -Only 3 background agents: Mail, Skype, Facebook
    -Static Lockscreen Wallpaper and No Camera from Lockscreen

Pretty happy with the results
    02-11-2014 12:36 AM
    Mine got just 1% drain tonight, but I have tweaked it a bit:

-Bluetooth off
    -Email push every 1 hour
    -Windows logging disabled
    -Windows defender disabled
    -Only 3 background agents: Mail, Skype, Facebook
    -Static Lockscreen Wallpaper and No Camera from Lockscreen

Pretty happy with the results
    How does the last help - the No Camera from Lockscreen?

And, how do you shut off/ on background apps?

Thanks
    02-11-2014 02:56 AM
    How does the last help - the No Camera from Lockscreen?

And, how do you shut off/ on background apps?

Thanks

The last helps because Camera would stay on "standby mode", so partially opened in background for faster loading when swiping down the lockscreen, it's a background agent too.

To disable other background agents go to Charm -> Settings ->_PC Settings -> And change Lockscreen/Background programs from there
    mclark2112 likes this.
    02-11-2014 03:07 AM
    The last helps because Camera would stay on "standby mode", so partially opened in background for faster loading when swiping down the lockscreen, it's a background agent too.

To disable other background agents go to Charm -> Settings ->_PC Settings -> And change Lockscreen/Background programs from there
    Thanks very much. I turned off the camera and a few of the apps - like Viber, Alarm (since I have never used it in the time that I have had the Surface (both generations), Skype (I have Viber and Twitter on my phone and it best stays there).

Let's see if this makes a difference. Also, technically, then this should also make a difference when using the device on battery too, right?
    02-11-2014 04:02 AM
    I have the same problem. The surface seems to lose 10-15% a day in sleep mode. Is there a setting I'm missing? My ipad might be 1% a day at its worst.
    Same for me. It bugs me out a bit but I guess we just have to live with it. I don't get why standby consumes so much energy while other platforms handle this much better while delivering the same service (also connected to Wi-Fi, getting mails etc.). When using the S2 actively the battery is quite good though I think!
    02-11-2014 04:39 AM
    Thanks very much. I turned off the camera and a few of the apps - like Viber, Alarm (since I have never used it in the time that I have had the Surface (both generations), Skype (I have Viber and Twitter on my phone and it best stays there).

Let's see if this makes a difference. Also, technically, then this should also make a difference when using the device on battery too, right?
    Yep
    02-11-2014 05:25 AM

Thanks, just turned off all the background apps, bluetooth was off, and I turned off the camera. Lets see what I get after a full charge now...
    02-11-2014 01:44 PM
    I have a theory that a lot of the BSoD and Tegra driver issues people have been having are causing battery drain.

If you look at your event log (even if you haven't experienced the above) you will probably see various issues like driver crashes etc... these happen while the device is asleep as well as awake so means the processor is being used etc... which in turn means the battery is drained more.

Some on the Microsoft Community who have managed to fix their BSoD and driver issues are reporting improved battery life.
    02-12-2014 02:58 AM
    I have a theory that a lot of the BSoD and Tegra driver issues people have been having are causing battery drain.

If you look at your event log (even if you haven't experienced the above) you will probably see various issues like driver crashes etc... these happen while the device is asleep as well as awake so means the processor is being used etc... which in turn means the battery is drained more.

Some on the Microsoft Community who have managed to fix their BSoD and driver issues are reporting improved battery life.
    Makes sense. Now if I could only fix the driver issue...given that MS is as usual slacking!
    02-12-2014 03:54 AM
    Makes sense. Now if I could only fix the driver issue...given that MS is as usual slacking!
    You can already find the only working Solution Here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...m-refresh.html
    02-12-2014 03:57 AM
    You can already find the only working Solution Here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...m-refresh.html
    I did try the driver thing, but not the fixing of the BSOD, which IIRC require a complete resetting of the device - something that I really don't have the energy to do at the moment. I'll wait till April and see what MS does with Win 8.1RT Update 1. Hopefully, that will fix the problem. If not, I'll try it then.
    02-12-2014 04:35 AM
    Actually was going to post about the same thing about idle battery life. MS markets it as having "7-15 days" of idle battery life which looks to be wide enough to cover people with lots of background notification services running and people with none other than the normal system-level stuff. Unplugging my fully charged device, it will be dead within 24 hours even if I never take it out of idle. In-use battery life is still excellent, so I don't think it's hardware-related. I'll take a look through the event logs as the people above me mentioned.

Update: Checked my event logs, and the Windows→System log is packed with "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." entries.
    Last edited by dancfuller; 02-15-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: update about event logs
    02-15-2014 09:58 AM
    well yeah. but still battery is gonna last long and hibernate uses less battery power and shut down doesn't use the battery at all. so probably shut down is the best option. until next housse ipad mini ecran retina
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    accessoire galaxy note 3
    02-15-2014 01:17 PM
    I have the same problem. I turned off all the background apps. It's OK.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    etui ipad air coque ipad air
    Last edited by Carine36; 03-10-2014 at 04:23 AM.
    03-06-2014 03:53 AM