HI looking for some advice please.

There seems to be some good deals on with the Surface RT and Surface 2 in the UK - Tesco offering a discount code and Microsoft offering a 25 voucher for their store as well as 25 App store voucher. They all work out at a difference of about 100 - 110 between the RT and 2. Which one would people suggest purchasing. Is the Surface 2 worth the 100 or so, more? Looking to purchase a type 2 cover as well so if I bought the RT I and the Touch cover 2 for the same price as the Surface 2. Just wondering if it is worth paying the extra for the Surface 2? Also wpould people suggest buying it at John Lewis without the 25 Microsoft store voucher but with a 2 year warranty?

Was looking at the Lumia 2520 but it is too expensive once you wait and buy the keyboard with it. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
    12-09-2013 04:14 AM
    Hello,

It all depends what you want to do with your tablet.

If you are a user who likes to run multiple apps then I would go for the Surface 2 with its Tegra 4 processor. Having said that though I am very happy with my Surface and Tegra 3 processor. It does everything I need it to including multi app usage with MS office although a little slower than the Surface 2. Windows 8.1 is very good.

I am actually waiting for the Surface 3 to be announced as I think this will be well worth the money and a step up in performance.

I actually bought my Surface RT before the Surface 2 was announced and would have waited a bit to buy the Surface 2. I can't give you any more advice than that. In the end it comes down to personal choice and how much money you have in your pocket. Take a look at YouTube for review comparisons between the two tablets. This might help you.
    Last edited by Daniel Gandolfo; 12-09-2013 at 05:07 AM.
    Tiwo likes this.
    12-09-2013 04:56 AM
    Dundee, Daniel hits the nail on the head.

The only thing I want to add is that if you have the money, go for the Surface 2.

For me the angle of the kickstand of the RT isn't really super great, because of my long torso :P. But that's a personal thing.
    12-09-2013 05:24 AM
    If the difference is about 100 quid or so, I'd say get the Surface 2 - you get a lot more - such as: (1) the two-step kickstand; (2) the Tegra4 SoC - in other words, a noticeably faster device; (3) the higher res screen; (4) a thinner/ lighter (though by miniscule amounts) device; (5) the silver colour - if you are into that sort of thing, that is.
    12-09-2013 12:50 PM
    The better kickstand (absolutely vital for me, as I often use the tablet while in bed), the better battery life and processor make the Surface 2 worth the extra 100. I bought mine from John Lewis, but I guess the 25 voucher sounds like a better offer if you are not a very risk-averse person (I personally would've rather had that, I am only hearing about the 25 voucher offer just now).
    12-09-2013 03:33 PM
    I would get the Surface 2 even if I did not get the voucher with it. Simply put, in my opinion, it is an excellent device. And, while this is off-topic, the thing that I am waiting for is a Nokia-built 8" tablet (hopefully to replace my iPad) and a Surface Phone (to replace my Nokia phone!).
    12-09-2013 03:55 PM
    Thanks for the advice people. That was what i was thinking. MOntgomery, you mentioned about rather having the voucher from Microsoft. You could look at from the point of view that you got a two year warranty for 25.
    12-09-2013 04:01 PM
    + 1 for the S2. I too went with the John Lewis approach with their guarantee. I think that's worth having over any kind of voucher personally. Go for the s2 you won't regret the little extra spend imo.
    12-09-2013 04:46 PM
    Thanks for the advice people. That was what i was thinking. MOntgomery, you mentioned about rather having the voucher from Microsoft. You could look at from the point of view that you got a two year warranty for 25.
    I'm not sure if you've already delved I'm but John Lewis are now offering the 25 voucher and of course the usual 2 year guarantee! I just picked my S2 up and almost wish I went with them, that extra year peace of mind is great. However its worth noting Microsoft store offer 25 off their store, giving you a voucher after purchase to potentially get 25 off a type/touch cover - that was the route I took. Also John Lewis have no cashback with Quidco or Topcashback so that swayed me.
    12-13-2013 01:59 AM