Search using address bar in modern IE 11

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to use the address bar to search (preferably using the Bing search engine?

When I try to search using the address bar it uses charter search (my internet provider), but the search results are very poor.

Any tips would be great, thanks in advance guys!

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hmm,

on my S2 IE11 does exactly what you desire it to do..sorry that I don't have anything more to offer than just telling you that your IE's behaviour doesn't seem to be the Default behaviour... :unhappy:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to use the address bar to search (preferably using the Bing search engine?

When I try to search using the address bar it uses charter search (my internet provider), but the search results are very poor.

Any tips would be great, thanks in advance guys!

I think you need to set your default search provider from the IE11 desktop version.

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply.

There is only one search provider in the desktop version, and it is Bing, which is the default search provider.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
When you do a search and get the results page from Charter, look for a settings option there to turn off their search. That was the solution for someone with the same problem as yours, but on TWC.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...erridden/92bbf0d0-8dd4-49b0-8470-6002147f585f

Edit: After further research, seems this is common practice for Charter over the years. Also try looking for an "About this Page" link as well as an options or preference link was suggested in other topics I found. If all else fails, you can try using a public dns server, versus the default Charter DNS servers.

Last edited:

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
When you do a search and get the results page from Charter, look for a settings option there to turn off their search. That was the solution for someone with the same problem as yours, but on TWC.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...erridden/92bbf0d0-8dd4-49b0-8470-6002147f585f

Edit: After further research, seems this is common practice for Charter over the years. Also try looking for an "About this Page" link as well as an options or preference link was suggested in other topics I found. If all else fails, you can try using a public dns server, versus the default Charter DNS servers.

that's it, change to bing/Google/yahoos DNS, on the router, and it will work for all connected devices.

on the phone with only cellular, change the browser's settings.

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

IE11 default search provider being overridden - Microsoft Community

Thanks to everyone who replied, and Thanks to JaiMento, your solution worked perfectly, I can't tell you how much better using internet explorer is for me. So amazing to get actual search results that are accurate.

THANK YOU!

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who replied, and Thanks to JaiMento, your solution worked perfectly, I can't tell you how much better using internet explorer is for me. So amazing to get actual search results that are accurate.

THANK YOU!

Glad you got it sorted. Out of curiosity, which suggestion worked for you? Were you able to find a way to turn it off? Or did you switch your DNS server?

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Glad you got it sorted. Out of curiosity, which suggestion worked for you? Were you able to find a way to turn it off? Or did you switch your DNS server?

There was a link at the top and bottom of the page that said, "Why am I here?" I clicked it and disabled Charter search. It said the choice will be saved for 1 year.

Thanks again!

tmarti7

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Address Bar default search engine:

File Menu > Tools > Manage Add-ons > Search Providers :shocked:

You can add the google search add on (or other choices) via

www dot iegallery dot com / en-us / Addons

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads