Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've heard mixed reports on whether or not the Surface Power Cover will be compatible with the Surface 2. Some sources say it will, others say it'll only work on Surface Pro and Pro 2. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, any ideas on when it'll be out?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've heard mixed reports on whether or not the Surface Power Cover will be compatible with the Surface 2. Some sources say it will, others say it'll only work on Surface Pro and Pro 2. Does anyone know for sure?

Also, any ideas on when it'll be out?

on a semi-related note, are the 1st and 2nd gen touch/type covers compatible/interchangeable?

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
(1) The Type Power Cover when available will be compatible with Surface 2. But, it will not work with the original Surface RT.
(2) All currently available covers can be used with all currently available Surface models.

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
http://i.imgur.com/2bFypylh.jpg

That's a slide about the Power Cover from an official Microsoft training deck, if you want an official source.

And kristalsoldier is absolutely correct about the compatibility of the currently available covers. Sorry, I didn't grab screencaps of those slides, though.

Edit: Some added info. The charger will always charge the Surface device first, then the Power Cover and power will always deplete from the Power Cover first, before the Surface device. No need to hit a switch to turn on charging from the cover or what not.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
http://i.imgur.com/2bFypylh.jpg

That's a slide about the Power Cover from an official Microsoft training deck, if you want an official source.

And kristalsoldier is absolutely correct about the compatibility of the currently available covers. Sorry, I didn't grab screencaps of those slides, though.

Edit: Some added info. The charger will always charge the Surface device first, then the Power Cover and power will always deplete from the Power Cover first, before the Surface device. No need to hit a switch to turn on charging from the cover or what not.

This is awesome. Any idea on release date?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, no. The Power Cover is not backlit.

Off the top of my head, if I remember correctly, it will retail for $199.99 USD.

Hey, JaiMento. This commenter on a WPC article about new Surface 2 accessories claims that Microsoft brought the products to their office a few months ago and demo'd them. He says that the power type cover is backlit. So, maybe?

Microsoft announces new accessories for the Surface family | Windows Phone Central

JaiMento

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey, JaiMento. This commenter on a WPC article about new Surface 2 accessories claims that Microsoft brought the products to their office a few months ago and demo'd them. He says that the power type cover is backlit. So, maybe?

Microsoft announces new accessories for the Surface family | Windows Phone Central

Either he is mistaken (more likely) or they've made a last minute change to it's specifications. As far as I know, it is not backlit. I have not seen any training materials that indicate the power cover will be backlit.

Edit: Just realized how old that article is. I am pretty positive now that the poster was just mistaken or misinformed.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

If true, then this is something that I would certainly get. I doubt it though!

Edit: Well, going by the MS (UK) website, the Power Cover is NOT backlit. See here: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...n-gb%2Fstore%2Fb%2Faccessories&token=grWg2ecT

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If true, then this is something that I would certainly get. I doubt it though!

Edit: Well, going by the MS (UK) website, the Power Cover is NOT backlit. See here: Power Cover - Microsoft Store United Kingdom Online Store

Good call. It's probably not backlit. I've been using the type cover 2, which is backlit. It's cool. But it's really not that big of a deal for me. I think I'd much rather have the extra battery life. Not to mention it would be a huge boost to the life of the actual battery in the tablet.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Good call. It's probably not backlit. I've been using the type cover 2, which is backlit. It's cool. But it's really not that big of a deal for me. I think I'd much rather have the extra battery life. Not to mention it would be a huge boost to the life of the actual battery in the tablet.

On a daily basis, I probably won't need the Power Cover and the backlit feature, for me, is very helpful. However, on trips away from home and work, the Power Cover would be very helpful. I really wish MS had made it backlit too! I may just end up buying it and sticking it my bag (just in case!).

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I ended up pre-ordering it yesterday. $200 is steep (TBH I think Microsoft should be selling all these covers for at least half of what they are now) but I think over the long haul for me it'll be worth it of the 70% additional battery life is true. I'm pretty hard on my Surface, and end up recharging it quite a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss