Does your camera surround / bezel sit flush?

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I jut purchased a surface 2 and absolutely love it.

However, there's one thing not quite right, (other than a slightly loose volume rocker that I can live with!). The darker grey plastic bezel around the rear camera (for WiFi signal I believe) doesn't sit properly flush with the magnesium housing of the device. From the front aspect, looking directly at the screen, the plastic part (i.e. where the power button sits) is 0.5mm lower than the metal part either side. At the rear, the plastic part sits slightly higher so there is a bit of a ridge when you run your fingers from top to bottom. I can imagine dust might get caught up in the gap this creates.

If they are all like this that's fine, but if not I will exchange it!

The only other thing I`d change is that the first keystroke on the touch cover (mk2) is regularly missed if its not been used for a few minutes- can anything be done about this? Backspace is remarkably insensitive too!

Many thanks for any help.

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Cool, thank you for taking the time to reply. If that's how they all are then no problemo. Build quality otherwise fantastic.

For anyone reading this who's undecided about the touch cover- I've taken mine back for a number of reasons. Its less accurate (In my hands at least) than the on screen keyboard, you can't really use it on your lap, and the frequently missed first keystroke is extremely irritating. The lap thing doesn't bother me as the on screen keyboard is fine for that- however, I did find the keyboard very useful when sat at a desk with the stand out, so have ordered a type 2 instead.

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Myn is also like this, seems to be more of a design choice than a flaw from what I can tell! No dust build up here as of yet, but I wouldn't worry too much :) Looks like it'd be fairly easy to clean. Only time I'd be worried is if dust could get under the camera, had that after a short period of time with my old Lumia 920 and found it pretty frustrating.

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Great, thanks also.

Just in case anyone stumbles across this post and is undecided about the type vs touch cover: Having started using the type cover 2 today, the difference between them is like night and day.

Whilst there is a small weight disadvantage to the type 2 (the touch cover really is impressively thin), the typing experience is incredible for the size and infinitely preferable. Its so easy to remove (or flip around) that the fact that its not smooth when folded back is irrelevant to me.

I essentially ignored all the reviews / comparisons when I purchased the Touch 2 originally because I fancied the thinner one and thought it would be adequate for occasional use. Turns out for me it wasn't!

Saurabh3321

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
WP_20131218_11_34_46_Pro.jpgWP_20131218_11_42_41_Pro.jpg
The back side looks perfect to me.
To top side however is not seamlessly aligned
Pictures look exaggerated due to macro shot. It's not really that bad ��

vraev

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I noticed this with my surface 2 as well... the corners of the camera Part are not flush (0.005mm??) U can just feel the rough edge compared to the centre which is more flush with the case

U guys got the same thing?

12115345814_abc9b5bc26_c.jpg

davejones2

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
It seems to be pretty well established now that this is normal for the device. I think even one of the reviews (trustedreviews maybe?) mentions this too.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Good(?) to know this is normal. It annoys me though.

Microsoft need to improve their quality control. This is, after all, a premium device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb