Nvidia Display Driver

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here, BSOD when refreshing, drivers stuck at August.

Update - Just got off chat to support, he told me to fully reset the device which also caused a BSOD, and he stated that this shows there are "missing or corrupted files in the recovery partition of the device and that is why the refresh and the reset have not been working". They're sending me a replacement device, I went with the advanced exchange option where they send you out a device and they place a hold on your credit card, as long as you return the faulty device within 14 days then the hold is lifted. This should take 2-3 business days. Unfortunate timing around Christmas but I'd rather have a working device for when I return to work.

Certainly won't be refreshing my new device when it arrives... They seriously need to fix this fault. The representative didn't seem aware of it, and thought the driver might be up to date despite me telling him what the latest driver version is (helpful chap though, I imagine not many users have reported this yet).

Last edited:

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here, BSOD when refreshing, drivers stuck at August.

Update - Just got off chat to support, he told me to fully reset the device which also caused a BSOD, and stated that this shows their are "missing or corrupted files in the recovery partition of the device and that is why the refresh and the reset have not been working". They're sending me a replacement device, I went with the advanced exchange option where they send you out a device and they place a hold on your credit card, as long as you return the faulty device within 14 days then the hold is lifted. This should take 2-3 business days. Unfortunate timing around Christmas but I'd rather have a working device for when I return to work.

Certainly won't be refreshing my new device when it arrives... They seriously need to fix this fault. The representative didn't seem aware of it, and thought the driver might be up to date despite me telling him what the latest driver version is (helpful chap though, I imagine not many users have reported this yet).

Same problem, and same solution for me. Got a new replacement device with the advanced exchange (was very fast - overnight shipping). New device is flawless and better constructed than the previous one, all updated and will not be performing a refresh/reset.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Also adding to this question, did you have warranty for your device or did they offer the replacement without question?

I had to get a replacement device due to a different problem 31 days after buying it, then had a ton of issues with the advanced exchange. Learned two important things from the Surface Customer Advocacy team. 1. If you ever have a problem, take it to the Microsoft Store, they are apparently very willing to go the extra mile to help (like Apple was/is). 2. Right now, there aren't really any refurbished ones for them to send out, the product is too new. After the problems I had (long delay), I got a call from the aforementioned team and they basically told me they have had to ship retail packages to their distribution center and manually open them up to use the Surfaces as replacements. It took a long time for even the warranty repair group to get these units because stock is so low.

P40L0

Banned
May 25, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my brand new Surface 2, but for what it takes I partially SOLVED it doing this:

1) After Refresh/Reset and BSOD, keep pressing the Power button till S2 powers down. Press it again and the process will complete;
2) Do all the WIndows Updates, and reboot as necessary; your drivers will still be the August ones (not all of them, only the Tegra 4 ones), even if all the updates will be installed correctly;
3) Now, do a USB Recovery Partition Backup, info here: Create a USB recovery drive for Microsoft Surface | Free up Surface storage space ;
4) Reboot your S2 with the USB drive inserted and keep pressing the Volume Down button till you see the circle spinning logo of Surface;
5) RESTORE your Surface from USB (when asked find your BitLocker key following the instructions and with a Smartphone or another Laptop/PC), choose to Repartition too, and if you see a message telling you to erase the Protected content or something like that choose Yes pressing the Volume Up button).

I had no more BSOD after this process, even trying to Refresh/Restore normally from the HDD and not USB, so one problem is finally SOLVED for good.
But the Tegra 4 drivers will still be the August version...

Anyway my Surface 2 is still very stable, no glitches on screen, no lag, Halo Spartan Assault runs 60FPS without a single hiccup, and everything is butter smooth and stable.
My S2 only crashed once while in Standby and receiving a Skype call.

And I think that Tegra 4 drivers will be updated correctly on the next firmware update too.

This is a problem apparently affecting ALL S2 after Refresh/Reset, so taking it back to the Store for another one is a "non-solution"

Let's hope MS fix this ASAP, and not on the second Tuesday of January (01/14)...

Hope I helped!

UPDATE: I opened a topic on the official Surface 2 Community Forum too, here: My Tegra 4 drivers won't update - Microsoft Community . If you have the same problems, please, post in there too and let our voice rise directly towards Microsoft!

Last edited:

codbod

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
When you guys got your replacement units, are they brand new or refurbished?

I requested a new unit (and was shipped a new unit), but the tech support said it could be refurbished or new, they have no way to decide one way or the other, but they did note it.

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: I opened a topic on the official Surface 2 Community Forum too, here: My Tegra 4 drivers won't update - Microsoft Community . If you have the same problems, please, post in there too and let our voice rise directly towards Microsoft!

Great will certainly post. Received my replacement unit today after getting an exchange after reporting this issue on the 24th. Almost feel like I should have just waited if this is going to get resolved on MS' end.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Great will certainly post. Received my replacement unit today after getting an exchange after reporting this issue on the 24th. Almost feel like I should have just waited if this is going to get resolved on MS' end.

I also thought about getting a replacement but since this seems to be a common problem I would have went through all that trouble but the issue would still be there. Gonna wait a few weeks and see if any of the January updates fix it.

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I also thought about getting a replacement but since this seems to be a common problem I would have went through all that trouble but the issue would still be there. Gonna wait a few weeks and see if any of the January updates fix it.

Probably a good move! I must have made the call to replace the device just a day or two before it became known that the problem was as common as it is. An MVP on the MS forums says they're aware and working on a fix. Surprised just how many bugs the device has tbh considering it's a second iteration. Things like when unplugging headphones in games the speakers don't provide any sound, or when opening and switching between games/apps when plugged into HDMI the sound goes horribly distorted/fuzzy until you unplug and replug. My list is growing, and these are issues I had with my original device which are still present on my replacement.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A lot of these problems seem to revolve around the new Tegra 4 as opposed to just Windows RT8.1 Whatever changes NVIDIA made between Tegra 3 and 4 has not been kind to the Surface brand.

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
A lot of these problems seem to revolve around the new Tegra 4 as opposed to just Windows RT8.1 Whatever changes NVIDIA made between Tegra 3 and 4 has not been kind to the Surface brand.
Very true, most the issues I've seen seem to revolve around the audio or display of the device which is tied to Tegra4. Hopefully NVIDIA and MS will continue to push out updates and really smoothen out the experience in 2014 as opposed to abandon it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb