01-27-2014 03:20 PM
67 123
tools
    10 in my local Microsoft store today... they were delivered yesterday. Also showing in stock on Best buy website
    01-04-2014 12:15 PM
    I just checked Amazon, and the Surface 2 is listed as in stock but the price of the 32GB model is $513.99 (USD), while the 64GB model is $609.99. What is going on?
    01-10-2014 01:12 PM
    I just checked Amazon, and the Surface 2 is listed as in stock but the price of the 32GB model is $513.99 (USD), while the 64GB model is $609.99. What is going on?
    Probably Microsoft testing the waters for different pricepoints and retail venues.
    01-10-2014 02:20 PM
    Those are other sellers selling through (or being fulfilled by) Amazon.
    01-11-2014 02:32 AM
    Those are other sellers selling through (or being fulfilled by) Amazon.
    That's what I thought at first too, but they're being sold by Microsoft itself through Amazon.
    01-11-2014 10:36 AM
    Best buy.com is showing $60 less and stating most stores have them in stock. (USA)

32g for $449.00
    01-11-2014 11:43 AM
    10 in my local Microsoft store today... they were delivered yesterday. Also showing in stock on Best buy website
    Go buy em up, people! Get them while they're hot. They're worth it.
    01-11-2014 12:54 PM
    That's what I thought at first too, but they're being sold by Microsoft itself through Amazon.
    When it says bi Microsoft, they're talking about the manufacturer of the product.
    01-12-2014 11:05 AM
    When it says bi Microsoft, they're talking about the manufacturer of the product.
    I understand that.
    There was a page that had the Surface 32GB for $513 that did NOT include the "In stock. Sold by ...." on the right hand side above the "Add to Cart" button, nor had the "fullfilled by ..." qualifier under then product name. When there is no "Sold by... " indicator and there is no "fullfilled by..." under the product name then it means that Amazon is selling the item directly.

That page is no longer visible. Maybe it was a glitch. The next time I see it, I'll post a screenshot. Also, keep in mind that Amazon DOES sometimes present different prices to different users depending upon the id they log into Amazon with.
    01-13-2014 10:07 AM
    Has anyone been able to get their hands on one at a BestBuy, Futureshop, or Staples in Canada? I've been searching since Christmas.
    01-13-2014 11:33 AM
    Has anyone been able to get their hands on one at a BestBuy, Futureshop, or Staples in Canada? I've been searching since Christmas.
    Looks like the Best Buy US website has a few in stock now: surface - Best Buy
    01-14-2014 01:43 PM
    Nope. Sold out everywhere. Been calling yorkdale microsoft store everyday almost. Ridiculously hard to find.
    01-14-2014 07:55 PM
    Nope. Sold out everywhere. Been calling yorkdale microsoft store everyday almost. Ridiculously hard to find.
    I've been calling and visiting pretty much every store I can think of since December. BestBuy, FutureShop, Staples, The Source... We don't have a Microsoft store in the Maritimes. Are there any other retailers in Canada?
    01-15-2014 07:12 AM
    I have been watching the various US and Canada sites for about 6 weeks and they have had limited to no availability, it is even worse now. While a few weeks delay is disappointing but forgivable, it is even more frustrating that you cannot pre-order for future delivery (i.e. Dell Windows 8 tablets were in short supply in December, but at least they would tell you when you might get a shipment, even if it was a few weeks in advance). I bet there are a number of people who would pay up now and take delivery in a few weeks. The fact that they are not even doing that implies a much bigger supply issue, or maybe a cancellation as they plan for Surface 3? Anyone know of any leaks regarding a new machine, or a serious shortage of one of the components?
    01-15-2014 10:57 AM
    I have been watching the various US and Canada sites for about 6 weeks and they have had limited to no availability, it is even worse now. While a few weeks delay is disappointing but forgivable, it is even more frustrating that you cannot pre-order for future delivery (i.e. Dell Windows 8 tablets were in short supply in December, but at least they would tell you when you might get a shipment, even if it was a few weeks in advance). I bet there are a number of people who would pay up now and take delivery in a few weeks. The fact that they are not even doing that implies a much bigger supply issue, or maybe a cancellation as they plan for Surface 3? Anyone know of any leaks regarding a new machine, or a serious shortage of one of the components?
    I've already offered my speculation regarding Surface 2 quantities. If I continue to be correct, don't expect the situation to improve for the remainder of this generation.

Where my crystal ball is fuzzy is in what is going to happen beyond Surface 2. It is possible that there will not be an ARM-based Surface 3...that the 2 will be the last ARM-based entry-level Surface. That would depend upon the real-world experience of the Bay Trail devices. If reality lives up to the hype, I can see Microsoft producing a BayTrail-based Surface 3 and removing WinRT from Surface tablets.

The previous rumors of Microsoft merging WP8 and WinRT8 may come to pass. But I don't think it will mean that a 10" Surface will run that new merged OS. I think that they will reserve that OS for smartphone, megaphone, and gigantaphone devices... upwards of a 7" screen capable of making calls.

My advice for people who are still looking for a Surface 2... stop looking. If you can find a killer screaming deal on an RT (highly unlikely at this time) go for it and enjoy it, or wait for the next generation. Because the more time that passes, the closer it gets to new devices being announced and released.
    01-15-2014 12:18 PM
    But they are available and freaking awesome.....I don't follow.
    I've already offered my speculation regarding Surface 2 quantities. If I continue to be correct, don't expect the situation to improve for the remainder of this generation.

Where my crystal ball is fuzzy is in what is going to happen beyond Surface 2. It is possible that there will not be an ARM-based Surface 3...that the 2 will be the last ARM-based entry-level Surface. That would depend upon the real-world experience of the Bay Trail devices. If reality lives up to the hype, I can see Microsoft producing a BayTrail-based Surface 3 and removing WinRT from Surface tablets.

The previous rumors of Microsoft merging WP8 and WinRT8 may come to pass. But I don't think it will mean that a 10" Surface will run that new merged OS. I think that they will reserve that OS for smartphone, megaphone, and gigantaphone devices... upwards of a 7" screen capable of making calls.

My advice for people who are still looking for a Surface 2... stop looking. If you can find a killer screaming deal on an RT (highly unlikely at this time) go for it and enjoy it, or wait for the next generation. Because the more time that passes, the closer it gets to new devices being announced and released.
    01-15-2014 01:48 PM
    I don't follow either... a quick check at the local Micro Center in Northern Virginia has 10+ 32GB Surface 2 units in stock and 2 64 GB. Local Best Buys have them either in stock or show a store delivery of 3-5 days. And they are indeed awesome
    01-15-2014 03:48 PM
    I don't follow either... a quick check at the local Micro Center in Northern Virginia has 10+ 32GB Surface 2 units in stock and 2 64 GB. Local Best Buys have them either in stock or show a store delivery of 3-5 days. And they are indeed awesome
    I believe you, just rechecked - the microsoftstore.com still says sold out, but Best Buy.com has it available on line with expedited shipping for next week. Canada still not available, perhaps that will improve soon.
    01-15-2014 04:08 PM
    The Surface 2 shortage is sad.....
    01-15-2014 06:03 PM
    Still sold out here in Tokyo, Japan.
    01-16-2014 08:54 AM
    MS played it safe this time which is understandable...they don't want to have another overstock of unsold Surface RTs.

The Surface 2 shortage is sad.....
    01-16-2014 08:55 AM
    For residents in Canada, check staples.ca.
    I just did this morning and managed to order a Surface 2, 32gb.

Good luck!
    Last edited by kian7920; 01-16-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    01-16-2014 11:20 AM
    You can also check NowInStock.net Product Availability Tracker and In Stock Notification System I saw best buy had them online then checked a local store from the best buy website. So I just got my Surface 2 64GB yesterday.
    01-16-2014 12:55 PM
    But they are available and freaking awesome.....I don't follow.
    You apparently have not been following this thread. Availability of the Surface 2 is very short. Places that list them as available online quickly sell out. Local stores like Best Buy often don't have them in stock. Just because you happen to find a place that has one (or some) does not mean that they are widely available.

As for being "freaking awesome", that's a bit of an overstatement... and I'm a Surface RT/2 fan. But build quality of the 2 appears to be less than the RT. At least if reports in various forum are any indication.
    01-16-2014 01:03 PM
    It's available on the microsoft.ca website right now! Both 32gb and 64gb versions.
    01-16-2014 07:57 PM
67 123