Surface 2 still sold out?

raque

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
But they are available and freaking awesome.....I don't follow.
I've already offered my speculation regarding Surface 2 quantities. If I continue to be correct, don't expect the situation to improve for the remainder of this generation.

Where my crystal ball is fuzzy is in what is going to happen beyond Surface 2. It is possible that there will not be an ARM-based Surface 3...that the 2 will be the last ARM-based entry-level Surface. That would depend upon the real-world experience of the Bay Trail devices. If reality lives up to the hype, I can see Microsoft producing a BayTrail-based Surface 3 and removing WinRT from Surface tablets.

The previous rumors of Microsoft merging WP8 and WinRT8 may come to pass. But I don't think it will mean that a 10" Surface will run that new merged OS. I think that they will reserve that OS for smartphone, megaphone, and gigantaphone devices... upwards of a 7" screen capable of making calls.

My advice for people who are still looking for a Surface 2... stop looking. If you can find a killer screaming deal on an RT (highly unlikely at this time) go for it and enjoy it, or wait for the next generation. Because the more time that passes, the closer it gets to new devices being announced and released.

Kenbrad

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't follow either... a quick check at the local Micro Center in Northern Virginia has 10+ 32GB Surface 2 units in stock and 2 64 GB. Local Best Buys have them either in stock or show a store delivery of 3-5 days. And they are indeed awesome

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't follow either... a quick check at the local Micro Center in Northern Virginia has 10+ 32GB Surface 2 units in stock and 2 64 GB. Local Best Buys have them either in stock or show a store delivery of 3-5 days. And they are indeed awesome

I believe you, just rechecked - the microsoftstore.com still says sold out, but Best Buy.com has it available on line with expedited shipping for next week. Canada still not available, perhaps that will improve soon.

kian7920

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
For residents in Canada, check staples.ca.
I just did this morning and managed to order a Surface 2, 32gb.

Good luck!

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
But they are available and freaking awesome.....I don't follow.
You apparently have not been following this thread. Availability of the Surface 2 is very short. Places that list them as available online quickly sell out. Local stores like Best Buy often don't have them in stock. Just because you happen to find a place that has one (or some) does not mean that they are widely available.

As for being "freaking awesome", that's a bit of an overstatement... and I'm a Surface RT/2 fan. But build quality of the 2 appears to be less than the RT. At least if reports in various forum are any indication.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
A bit of a joke, everyone knows there is not a huge demand for this product. MS is deliberately manufacturing only 1000s of these to create the illusion of a massive sell out.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
A bit of a joke, everyone knows there is not a huge demand for this product. MS is deliberately manufacturing only 1000s of these to create the illusion of a massive sell out.
I can understand why you would think that. But that is not true. They have other reasons. I've posted them before. Especially since nobody is reporting anywhere in any media outlet that there is "a massive sell out of Surface tablets". One thread on one forum does not an illusion make.

There IS growing demand for the Surface. Not huge, but growing. Everyone I know who has purchased a black friday RT, has shown it to their family and friends over the holidays. Most had never heard of it before then, but a simple practical demonstration of what it can do blows them away. They then want to know why it has been kept such a secret, that it's better than an iPad, and want to know where they can get one.

This time of year is one when consumers' wallets are recovering from holiday shopping. Traditionally, February is rock-bottom for gadget sales. I can't get into (here) the financial implications for a corporation to have a stockpile of inventory at this time of year.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered one from the Microsoft Store :smile:

It seems like they've replenished Surface 2 stock as well as Type/Touch cover 2 stock (although, only the black Type Cover 2 is in stock).

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Well the here in the East (China and South East Asia) have never even heard of the Surface 2 or Surface lines as a matter of fact. Perhaps all the stock went there and no one is buying it that much, causing a excess here but lacking in the U.S. I myself traveled around Asia, and in Hong Kong bought my Surface 2. I was the only one then, and have never seen anyone carrying/buying a Surface from the electronic stores. They don't advertise it much here.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Well the here in the East (China and South East Asia) have never even heard of the Surface 2 or Surface lines as a matter of fact. Perhaps all the stock went there and no one is buying it that much, causing a excess here but lacking in the U.S. I myself traveled around Asia, and in Hong Kong bought my Surface 2. I was the only one then, and have never seen anyone carrying/buying a Surface from the electronic stores. They don't advertise it much here.

Were exactly did you buy the surface 2 in hong kong . Are they readily available ? And can one play around with one , I mean do they have demo units ? And lastly any special offer going on the surface ? Thanx in advance .

LoriInWA

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Lucked out and was able to get my new Surface 2 and the purple type cover on Saturday at a nearby Best Buy. Seriously, they had just unloaded the truck that morning and by the time I got there (around 11 am) there were only 3 purple type covers left. YAY!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss