Surface 2 - USB Audio issues

wp_rt

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The Surface 2 is an ideal form factor for using a small USB DAC / Amp to listen to music while on the go. However, mine doesn't much like to multitask. The audio stream, though fine when the system isn't doing anything else, is prone to hiccups when listening while also browsing in IE, using twitter, or reading email. It's unfortunate. Anyway, is anyone else experiencing these symptoms? I wonder if this can be helped by a future system software update or if it's a matter of too slow a processor or too little memory?

FWIW, I've tested this with a Nuforce uDAC-2 and an HRT microStreamer. The problems is the same for both so I don't think the DAC/Amp is the problem. I have tried driver settings of 16/44.1 and 24/44.1 and that doesn't make any difference either. It does seem to be worse if I set to 24/96 (which is understandable). It's also the same whether I use Xbox Music or MediaMonkey.

Thanks to anyone who can share their experiences.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have not tried this yet. I had been wanting to pick up a USB dac/amp and use it with my Surface 2, laptop, etc. Thanks for the report.

So far, I've been a little unimpressed with the headphone-out sound quality. I assume the USB audio is significantly better?

wp_rt

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they can be quite a bit better. There is a variety of products but the small, USB-powered units seem most compatible with the Surface 2. And the smaller, portable ones are evolving rapidly. Newer designs tend to be significantly better (and smaller) than those from just a few years ago. And there are more interesting products on the horizon. My understanding is that they are not effective with noise cancelling headphones though. If you have some nice headphones and can spare $100 to $200 then it's worth it.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Didn't know you could get USB amps any suggestions to look at?

For your issue what it like without the amp for reading tests and that?

wp_rt

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I use the HRT microStreamer. I recommend it. They have a firmware downgrade that works well with the slower ARM processor. Or it seems to, so far. So the problem I've had is somewhat minimized. It goes for about $190 on Amazon. It has both headphone out and line out for connecting to a receiver for speakers. I believe it is a substantial upgrade. Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes