brightness keeps adjusting according to the on screen/browser content

emilio fragiacomo

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

purchased two surface 2 for me and my son as presents for Xmas.

Love the hardware but the software .......arghhhhhh
There is this annoying problem with the brightness on both tablets that drives me nuts.
Every time the browser content changes to brighter colors the screen brightness goes up and down and it looks almost like flickering.
The same happens on the main screen with the live tiles.
I know this has been reported before and there are also videos but come on Microsoft why do we buy your tablets for if not for comfortable browsing of the mighty internet .
Anyway I have tried to reset/refresh restore also I have updated to the latest firmware but nothing.
The adaptive brightness on or off doesn't make any difference so it must be a software /driver problem .

Am I missing something ?

Are Microsoft aware of this problem ? Are they working on a fix ?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This also happens on phones and is solved by turning auto brightness off and setting the brightness manually. I don't have a Surface 2, but can you turn auto brightness off?

LawnPaul

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings, power options, auto brightness.
Its not listed in the display section, like one would expect.

Sent from my L920 using Tapatalk

emilio fragiacomo

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have updated with the latest firmware and I have noticed that the Tegra Driver is still the old one from August .I doesn't seem to want to update to the latest one .
What are your latest Tegra drivers ?
Mine are version 9.17.13.2672 from 13/08/2013 .
I did try to update manually but it say updated and it reverts back to the old one.

emilio fragiacomo

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
My son left his surface to update automatically and he has the right drivers now .
On his Surface even with the latest drivers the screen adaptive brightness still cannot be turned off it is just like before it changes based on the screen or browser content ,what I mean is that even if you go and turn the adaptive brightness off from the control panel it has no effect at all.

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have updated with the latest firmware and I have noticed that the Tegra Driver is still the old one from August .I doesn't seem to want to update to the latest one .
What are your latest Tegra drivers ?
Mine are version 9.17.13.2672 from 13/08/2013 .
I did try to update manually but it say updated and it reverts back to the old one.
9.17.13.2767 from 09/11/2013 here but also having and hating this issue...

nwtravler

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
This fixed the problem for me, it was driving me nuts before now my display is steady.

Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
-Change Advance Power Settings
-Display
-Enable adaptive brightness
-made sure it is set to "off" for battery and plugged in.

You can also make some other display brightness adjustments in the advanced power settings.

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This fixed the problem for me, it was driving me nuts before now my display is steady.

Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings
-Change Advance Power Settings
-Display
-Enable adaptive brightness
-made sure it is set to "off" for battery and plugged in.

You can also make some other display brightness adjustments in the advanced power settings.

Thanks, but afaik that is the "light sensor thing", not the "adaptative brightness according to screen content thing" :).

emilio fragiacomo

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The screen back light should react to the intensity of the ambient (room) lighting.
In darker environment the screen should dim and the opposite happens when you go in the direct sunlight,and this should only happen if you select the auto brightness.
In my case the ambient (room) lighting does not change .im in the same room and if my browser content changes from darker to brighter colours the brightness jumps up and down creating some sort of flickering effect .that is with the auto brightness switched on or off.
The same happens when scrolling horizontally on the Metro UI going from darker colours tiles to the white one like the Ebay. You can see the same problem here Surface 2 screen issue - YouTube

and here screen flickering surface 2 - YouTube

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon