WMV movies - How do I avoid having to go through desktop conversion?

Texas Wolves

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Afternoon all,

Santa brought me a Surface 2 this year (he was lucky to find one just in time for Xmas!) and I love it. I'm trying to get away from my desktop completely (or as much as possible). Question, I've looked through the marketplace for a program that ran on Surface 2 and could play WMV but was not successful (don't mind paying for it... IF it existed). I've also looked to see if I could download the codec for WMV files but was unsuccessful. I finally looked for a WMV-MP4 conversion tool TO BE USED on the Surface 2....again, no luck.

Has anyone here been successful in ultimately playing wmv files on the surface 2? If not, can I convert a wmv file into a mp4 file using the surface 2?

Thanks!

Texas Wolves

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
That was one of the apps I tried...it wouldn't play wmv and took me to a download site to update the program...didn't work. Did you get this to play wmv on your surface 2? If so, I'll try it again and provide the error (upstairs now giving my sick baby girl a bath...). Thx for the response.

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
That was one of the apps I tried...it wouldn't play wmv and took me to a download site to update the program...didn't work. Did you get this to play wmv on your surface 2? If so, I'll try it again and provide the error (upstairs now giving my sick baby girl a bath...). Thx for the response.
I haven't tried it, but I can try it on my Surface RT tomorrow if you want to?
Doesn't VLC play them?

VLC isn't available on RT yet :unhappy:

Texas Wolves

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I was mixing up this app with another I tried... the other app took me to a website to download an update that didn't work. Metro Media Player just flat out doesn't work. The error is...
"Playback Error: An error occurred while trying to play media. You may be missing a required codec. System reports: MF_MEDIA_ENGINE_ERR_SRC_NHRESULT-0xC00D5214". Thanks... any other ideas?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
But the VLC team is getting very close to finishing their RT app.
Depends upon one's definition of "very close". :smile:

On Dec 2 2013, Jean-Baptiste stated that he hoped to wrap up the bug fixes to the Modern UI version of VLC for resubmission within a week or so. That was a month ago and it still is not available. He also said in that same blog post, that it would take a few weeks after that to get an ARM version available. It seems reasonable to conclude that the ARM version is still quite a ways from being available.

Planet VideoLAN

GreatCanadian

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Silly me. I installed Video Player for VLC the other day thinking it was VLC. Hadn't gotten around to looking at it until you fellas told me VLC isn't available for RT. And you are correct!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12