Selling my Surface Pro 2 to purchase a Surface 2.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So I love my Surface Pro 2 256GB, but I think I've overspent. I love that the Surface 2 is lighter and thinner and think I don't need legacy apps. I need some help deciding if I should switch and maybe you guys can help me decide. I got rid of my macbook air for the Pro 2 so I don't know if the Surface 2 would fit my needs. I need to be able to scan and print. I need to be able to use microsoft office. I need the ability to connect the tablet to my television. Also web surfing and email. I also need to be able to store my music library on the device. Does the Surface 2 allow me to store my music library on an sd card or would it have to be in the my music folder? I would most definitely be getting the 64gb version and does it allow up to 64gb or 128gb microsd support? I'm hoping to make the switch to get the thinner lighter Surface 2 and pocket some cash. Thanks in advance!

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey man,

let me try to answer your questions one by one...

scan and print: I am not too sure about this one. I only have one printer in the house and the S2 didn't recognize it. It is a rather old printer though (like 10 years or so, not sure...FWIW it's an HP printer). I guess a newer model would work just fine. Scanning is another Thing. Again, I only know how this works on my old printer. It has a little application that comes with the printer that allows you to scan. Of course that thing is an .exe so it wouldn't work on the S2. Don't know how this is solved on newer printers/scanners.

MS Office: this is a no brainer. S2 comes with Word, Excel, Power Point, One Note and even Outlook.

TV: no problem. HDMI out or Miracast/DLNA.

Web surfing and email: come on man... :p

Music: I also store my Music on the SD so no problem at all. In fact you can move all the folders like music, documents etc. to the SD so that the SD is the default Location for those files...

Hope that helped ;-)

barbequtioner

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Good call on coming to the ranks of RT. If you don't have any desire for legacy apps, you'll love what RT can do.

I was in the same position last year, and "downgraded" from a pro to an Surface RT. Aside from occasionally messing around on Steam, I don't regret pocketing the extra couple hundred of dollars and enjoying my Surface.

Good luck!

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Lol yeah, some of those were quite obvious but I just wanted to list everything I'd be using it for. What about sd support? Would it support 128gb sdxc cards or just 64gb? Also how does hemi out and miracast work in comparison to the MiniDV out in the surface pro? Thanks for the help!

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Man the printing has been one the selling points (or not taking it back points). It immediately locates and prints on all my WiFi printers and if it doesn't I plug the USB in and 10 seconds I'm printing.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten various messages about people wanting to purchase it from me. Sorry, but I'm trying to maximize my profit, so It's going to eBay with international shipping. That was one of the main reasons I considered the change. I need the money! I just purchased the 64GB, the Microsoft store was sold out and only one Best Buy in town had them. They had three left, two after I purchased one.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
One thing you might be concerned about is whether MS is going to support the RT version. They haven't exactly been flying off the shelves. I think the Surface Pros are in it for the long haul, but maybe not RT.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not worried about future support. The Surface 2 is thin, light, sexy, and does everything I need it to. I just needed to do the change to scrape up all the money I can for some short term investments. After that I can always go back or wait for the Surface Pro 3 ;-) I'm on my Surface 2 right now. This thing is awesome!!

barbequtioner

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not worried about future support. The Surface 2 is thin, light, sexy, and does everything I need it to. I just needed to do the change to scrape up all the money I can for some short term investments. After that I can always go back or wait for the Surface Pro 3 ;-) I'm on my Surface 2 right now. This thing is awesome!!
This is the right attitude for now. He has to do what is best for him right now. That being said, how many things has Microsoft killed that made it to retail that wasn't given a chance to mature? I have a hard time thinking of anything except the Kin. RT needs more time, better marketing and of course DEVELOPERS!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Man the printing has been one the selling points (or not taking it back points). It immediately locates and prints on all my WiFi printers and if it doesn't I plug the USB in and 10 seconds I'm printing.

Interesting! Can you please list a few WiFi printers that you work with. My HP DeskJet 3520 does not seem to work with the Surface 2 over WiFi - it does work over the USB connection though. Thanks.

homeedition88

May 22, 2012
Visit site
My Epson Xp-250 printer work fine with wifi. I can print out and also scan documents also this printer support apple airprint (not sure about the name)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
This is the right attitude for now. He has to do what is best for him right now. That being said, how many things has Microsoft killed that made it to retail that wasn't given a chance to mature? I have a hard time thinking of anything except the Kin. RT needs more time, better marketing and of course DEVELOPERS!
The Kin was DOA and only released because of the momentum of product development. The decision to kill it was made many months before it was released, but due to contractual obligations, Microsoft had to release it. If only to kill it 28 days later.

But I would say that the Zune was killed before it was given a chance to mature. The Zune 30 was released with a skinned version of Windows Media Player. It was rushed. A year later they rebooted the Zune line with brand new software and new devices. They experienced growing pains and a bit of a sour taste by early adopters. That market was too competitive to afford stumbling out of the gate. By the time that the Zune HD was released (with yet another reboot of sorts), MS executives had already decided to pull the plug on it. Even those most ardent Apple iPod fans had to acknowledge (grudgingly) that the Zune desktop software was far superior to iTunes.

Windows Phone 7 devices could be considered killed before it was given a chance to mature as well.

The story with RT is alarmingly similar to the Zune. Microsoft's corporate culture has killed the RT. It is tracking so exactly that I've been able to accurately predict what they'd do. The future of WinRT-based Surface devices is not very clear at the moment. The next 3 months will tell however.

blends

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
My canon mg5300 series printer was working fine over WiFi until I did a system update this morning. Now the printer status is offline and I can only print by connecting the USB. Been working on this for 90 minutes now and I'm really disappointed that an update broke something so awesome. Have you tried using your printer today using WiFi?

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Interesting! Can you please list a few WiFi printers that you work with. My HP DeskJet 3520 does not seem to work with the Surface 2 over WiFi - it does work over the USB connection though. Thanks.

Mine works with a Canon MG5200 series. It didn't work with an older HP though.
I have an HP Officejet 8600 and can print and scan over WiFi to my Surface RT and my Lumia 2520.

For those who can print only with a USB connection, try setting the printer to a static IP address and then setup the printer and port from the desktop. I've had to do this when the printer wasn't auto discovered and it works fine if MS has the printer drivers.

barbequtioner

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The Kin was DOA and only released because of the momentum of product development. The decision to kill it was made many months before it was released, but due to contractual obligations, Microsoft had to release it. If only to kill it 28 days later.

But I would say that the Zune was killed before it was given a chance to mature. The Zune 30 was released with a skinned version of Windows Media Player. It was rushed. A year later they rebooted the Zune line with brand new software and new devices. They experienced growing pains and a bit of a sour taste by early adopters. That market was too competitive to afford stumbling out of the gate. By the time that the Zune HD was released (with yet another reboot of sorts), MS executives had already decided to pull the plug on it. Even those most ardent Apple iPod fans had to acknowledge (grudgingly) that the Zune desktop software was far superior to iTunes.

Windows Phone 7 devices could be considered killed before it was given a chance to mature as well.

The story with RT is alarmingly similar to the Zune. Microsoft's corporate culture has killed the RT. It is tracking so exactly that I've been able to accurately predict what they'd do. The future of WinRT-based Surface devices is not very clear at the moment. The next 3 months will tell however.

That's a great deal of perspective rather than fact, my friend. The reality is the Zune had its time in the market place for a number of years and failed to find traction amongst consumers, regardless of what iterations happened. Microsoft didn't bury it. Windows Phone evolved their platform and abandoned some devices, which were 2 years old and going to be abandoned by time anyways. RT is on the same path. It is getting its chanced to be evaluated by consumers, and if it fails it will be the end of the line. Microsoft jut doesn't cut and run. They forced Xbox to succeed. Metrics show Windows Phone is getting there. RT will get its due.

None of these products are comparable to the Kin. None.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That's a great deal of perspective rather than fact, my friend. The reality is the Zune had its time in the market place for a number of years and failed to find traction amongst consumers, regardless of what iterations happened. Microsoft didn't bury it. Windows Phone evolved their platform and abandoned some devices, which were 2 years old and going to be abandoned by time anyways. RT is on the same path. It is getting its chanced to be evaluated by consumers, and if it fails it will be the end of the line. Microsoft jut doesn't cut and run. They forced Xbox to succeed. Metrics show Windows Phone is getting there. RT will get its due.

None of these products are comparable to the Kin. None.
You don't know where I currently work. You don't know where I worked when those things I described happened. You are entitled to your opinion, but when you brush off first hand experience as "perspective" (whatever that means in the context you used it) versus "fact" then that helps me to gauge how much or how little weight to give that opinion.

barbequtioner

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Where you worked is perspective. What the market decided for Microsoft is fact.
Money doesn't lie, my man.
I wasn't trying to belittle you in anyway, brother. Please don't take it as such.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey there!

I think maybe you would like to know that I was able to scan perfectly fine with my Surface 2 and my Canon LIDE 110 Scanner via USB. Worked like a charm :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12