Metro IE doesn't display all colours on Surface 2

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I discovered an odd thing yesterday at a meeting. I was showing a client an site I designed which has a horizontal gradient in the header.

In the metro IE the gradient had vertical lines in and was effectively in several large blocks of colour (a bit like if someone had converted it to 8 bit colour but without dithering), see below. Also the John Owen Centre logo (far right below the menu) doesn't show the circles that are clearly visible in the desktop view.

Screenshot-MetroIE.jpg

Yet on the desktop version of IE the gradient displayed perfectly. John Owen Centre logo clearly displayed.

Screenshot-DesktopIE.jpg

Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm sure you could say that I shouldn't use a gradient etc... but that doesn't get away from the display inconsistency.

Very frustrating because showing sites in the full screen Metro IE is far nicer than the desktop version (even in full screen mode you get a horrible scrollbar at the side).

(I've checked on my desktop PC and it displays correctly in both Metro and Desktop IEs so it would seem to be specifically a Surface thing.)

Attachments

• Screenshot MetroIE.png
    Screenshot MetroIE.png
    869.5 KB · Views: 5

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's strange. IE10 displays this just fine.

It may be some sort of tweak by Microsoft to improve performance (which isn't really far off, since the original Surface was quite...slow), or your internet may not be up to snuff (which would be strance, since you're a designer).

Try checking the settings in Metro IE, or desktop IE to check on any available options. (I don't have my Win8 laptop on hand, so...)

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply WanderingTraveler, yep, it's odd. Definitely not the internet connection, tried it on different ones with same result.

Also, (I probably didn't make this clear enough) the desktop version of IE11 (the Windows RT desktop version) on the Surface displays it just fine (so both the screenshots are from the Surface 2).

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your reply WanderingTraveler, yep, it's odd. Definitely not the internet connection, tried it on different ones with same result.

Also, (I probably didn't make this clear enough) the desktop version of IE11 (the Windows RT desktop version) on the Surface displays it just fine (so both the screenshots are from the Surface 2).

That's strange. Have you fiddled with the settings in metro IE like WT said?

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've looking in the settings but can't see anything that might effect it. I tried the Zoom settings in case something weird was happening there but no luck. Plus of course the desktop version and metro version are at the same zoom level.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've got all the latest updates.

However, I've had the BSoD on Refresh and Reset problem so it maybe that the display drivers haven't installed correctly or something.

I'll guess I'll go through the painful USB drive reset option and see if that cures the problem. *sigh*

Thanks for all your help.

-Dice-

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey podsnap,
i have the same problem on my surface 2. However it's not only occuring in the Metro IE but everywhere on my Surface. All color gradients look horrible, even some tiles. They have those color blocks as well. I hope they will fix that in an up comming update...
I think i just need the latest drivers... They didn't get upgraded...

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi Dice, I created a USB recovery drive and did a system reset from that. The drivers still don't get updated correctly (Tegra drivers not updating / BSOD on system refresh).

However, now the colours display correctly.

My guess (and I stress it's a guess) is that because I was getting a BSOD when trying to reset/refresh from the recovery partition, there was some corruption when the device completed the process after the BSOD.

Doing it from a USB drive means no BSOD and perhaps, no corruption.

It's a pain to reset the device but it might be worth a go.

NB: I think I might have run the screen calibration utility from the desktop before noticing the issue, perhaps that caused the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte