10-02-2014 02:39 PM
115 ... 345
tools
    LOL
    Give it a try then

(latest SunSpider benchmark improved from 412ms to 366ms too )
    04-12-2014 03:10 PM
    LOL
    Give it a try then

(latest SunSpider benchmark improved from 412ms to 366ms too )
    I did. No perceptible difference. Sure benchmarks can report the difference but it is hardly "incredible". But if you're delighted with it, that's good.
    04-12-2014 06:19 PM
    I did. No perceptible difference. Sure benchmarks can report the difference but it is hardly "incredible". But if you're delighted with it, that's good.
    Just got a BSoD.
    I will go back to 1997 VM, first page updated too.

Faster: yes.
    More risky: too.
    04-12-2014 08:08 PM
    Tip from Paul Thurrott's site to remove the power button from Windows 8.1.1 sine it really isn't needed http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/wi...e-power-button

Now if search can be removed the user image will be back where it should be!
    04-12-2014 09:08 PM
    Power button is already removed by default on Windows RT devices.
    Search icon is really useful for me instead
    04-13-2014 03:37 AM
    Another Tweak for you.

Increase the Max Connections for IE11: for an even faster page rendering. Type "gpedit.msc" into Search Charm, and run it. Click the "+" symbol next to "Computer Configuration" to expand it. Navigate to the AJAX registry by selecting the following in order: "Administrative Templates," "Windows Components," "Internet Explorer," "Security Features" and "AJAX." Click Enable, and change both the values labeled "Set Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.0)" and "Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.1)" to 10. Exit out of the Group Policy Editor, and restart your operating system to complete the job.

Tested, working, and added to 1 post too ;)
    04-14-2014 05:30 AM
    Another Tweak for you.

Increase the Max Connections for IE11: for an even faster page rendering. Type "gpedit.msc" into Search Charm, and run it. Click the "+" symbol next to "Computer Configuration" to expand it. Navigate to the AJAX registry by selecting the following in order: "Administrative Templates," "Windows Components," "Internet Explorer," "Security Features" and "AJAX." Click Enable, and change both the values labeled "Set Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.0)" and "Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.1)" to 10. Exit out of the Group Policy Editor, and restart your operating system to complete the job.

Thanks. I'll have to check this out. Btw, does this affect the battery in any way?
    04-20-2014 10:40 AM
    Thanks. I'll have to check this out. Btw, does this affect the battery in any way?
    Nope
    kristalsoldier likes this.
    04-20-2014 06:30 PM
    Any tips for ipod touch/ipad users? Should I try to find all the apps in the MS app store? I know many apps go to a mobile v of the same website, so could just book mark instead. I mainly go to news sites, weatherbug and email.
    04-21-2014 09:01 AM
    Another Tweak for you.

What exactly does this do ? in real time what difference are we going to observe ?
    04-26-2014 06:09 AM
    What exactly does this do ? in real time what difference are we going to observe ?
    Faster rendering of webpages, better video/audio streaming and download
    rav16 likes this.
    04-26-2014 10:41 AM
    Paolo and Guys my surface is up to date . but recently for past 3-4 days I have been observing that even after charging the surface to 100% in the night , when I keep it over night attached with the type cover 2 I see a huge battery drain by morning and plus the surface is hot too . what is the issue here guys ? and is there any soloution to this mess ? I love the surface but then this kind of stuff is really irritating . is Microsoft aware about this issue and is my case unique here or many users too are facing the same issue ?
    05-01-2014 03:31 AM
    Improve disk performance by Disabling 8.3 Name creation: this is an old and deprecated NTFS feature that, disabled, can make disk operations a bit snappier, and without negative effects.

Open "regedit" from Search Charm, and go to:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
    Double click on: "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" and Set it to "1"
    Apply, and Reboot.

Tested, and working :)
    Last edited by Paolo Cardelli; 06-16-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    06-16-2014 05:14 PM
    Windows optimization is never over, so I managed to tweak my Surface 2 even further with this NEW TWEAK:

Disable Work Folders Client: this feature was first introduced in Windows 8.1, and it is useful to manage an internal "Dropbox style" shared folder in your work place/office. Considering most of companies still have Windows XP or Windows 7 at best, it is fairly useless for now, and can be disabled to offload a bit of memory and cpu cycles from your Surface.

Go to Contro Panel (Desktop) -> Software and features -> Uninstall a software -> Add/Remove a Windows functionality -> Uncheck "Work Folders Client".
    Apply, and reboot.

Enjoy the little speed bump ;)
    07-01-2014 02:24 AM
    New (awesome) tweak added to first post:
    [*]Disable Dynamic Ticking: Starting from Windows 8, dynamic ticking is enabled by default to help extending battery life of mobile devices, but with this CPU throttling technique it may often occur that the whole system stop responding to our input and, sometimes, even freeze/crash the whole OS (see: waking from sleep freeze).
    So you can disable it with a very small decrease of battery life, but a far more smoother interface and no more freezing:

Open Command Prompt (with Administrative Rights) and enter this command -> "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes" (without quotes)
    tmichael559 and 14yellow14 like this.
    10-02-2014 02:39 PM
115 ... 345