Surface 2: What tips and tricks do you have to tell?

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Another Tweak for you.

Increase the Max Connections for IE11: for an even faster page rendering. Type "gpedit.msc" into Search Charm, and run it. Click the "+" symbol next to "Computer Configuration" to expand it. Navigate to the AJAX registry by selecting the following in order: "Administrative Templates," "Windows Components," "Internet Explorer," "Security Features" and "AJAX." Click Enable, and change both the values labeled "Set Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.0)" and "Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.1)" to 10. Exit out of the Group Policy Editor, and restart your operating system to complete the job.

Tested, working, and added to 1? post too ;)

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Another Tweak for you.

Increase the Max Connections for IE11: for an even faster page rendering. Type "gpedit.msc" into Search Charm, and run it. Click the "+" symbol next to "Computer Configuration" to expand it. Navigate to the AJAX registry by selecting the following in order: "Administrative Templates," "Windows Components," "Internet Explorer," "Security Features" and "AJAX." Click Enable, and change both the values labeled "Set Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.0)" and "Maximum number of connections per server (HTTP 1.1)" to 10. Exit out of the Group Policy Editor, and restart your operating system to complete the job.

Thanks. I'll have to check this out. Btw, does this affect the battery in any way?

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Any tips for ipod touch/ipad users? Should I try to find all the apps in the MS app store? I know many apps go to a mobile v of the same website, so could just book mark instead. I mainly go to news sites, weatherbug and email.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Another Tweak for you.

What exactly does this do ? in real time what difference are we going to observe ?

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Paolo and Guys my surface is up to date . but recently for past 3-4 days I have been observing that even after charging the surface to 100% in the night , when I keep it over night attached with the type cover 2 I see a huge battery drain by morning and plus the surface is hot too . what is the issue here guys ? and is there any soloution to this mess ? I love the surface but then this kind of stuff is really irritating . is Microsoft aware about this issue and is my case unique here or many users too are facing the same issue ?

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Improve disk performance by Disabling 8.3 Name creation: this is an old and deprecated NTFS feature that, disabled, can make disk operations a bit snappier, and without negative effects.

Open "regedit" from Search Charm, and go to:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
Double click on: "NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation" and Set it to "1"
Apply, and Reboot.

Tested, and working :)

Last edited:

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Windows optimization is never over, so I managed to tweak my Surface 2 even further with this NEW TWEAK:

Disable Work Folders Client: this feature was first introduced in Windows 8.1, and it is useful to manage an internal "Dropbox style" shared folder in your work place/office. Considering most of companies still have Windows XP or Windows 7 at best, it is fairly useless for now, and can be disabled to offload a bit of memory and cpu cycles from your Surface.

Go to Contro Panel (Desktop) -> Software and features -> Uninstall a software -> Add/Remove a Windows functionality -> Uncheck "Work Folders Client".
Apply, and reboot.

Enjoy the little speed bump ;)

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
New (awesome) tweak added to first post:

[*]Disable Dynamic Ticking: Starting from Windows 8, dynamic ticking is enabled by default to help extending battery life of mobile devices, but with this CPU throttling technique it may often occur that the whole system stop responding to our input and, sometimes, even freeze/crash the whole OS (see: waking from sleep freeze).
So you can disable it with a very small decrease of battery life, but a far more smoother interface and no more freezing:

Open Command Prompt (with Administrative Rights) and enter this command -> "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes" (without quotes)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077