03-18-2014 12:47 PM
51 123
tools
    so Monday night I went ahead and got the Surface 2. figured if after 14 days I wasn't happy i'd return it and go with the lumia 2520
    And, what are your initial impressions?
    02-05-2014 08:53 AM
    One other thing I forgot to mention. If you are not interested in the Skype and/or SkyDrive/OneDrive promotion you can always sell it on eBay. Though I wouldn't do this until you know you are going to keep it.
    02-05-2014 08:55 AM
    I would go for the surface 2. The kickstand is brilliant and whilst the 2520 cover offers something similar you can cant get the kickstand support without the cover on. Its amazing how often I actually want the Surface 2 keyboard off and just use the kick stand. Can't do that with the 2520.

I looked at both closely in John Lewis before buying my Surface 2 and the overall feel of the Surface 2 is better in my opinion, including the responsiveness of the screen. For some reason I felt quite 'detached' when trying to operate the Nokia... I went into the shop somewhat biased to the Nokia but ended up loving the Surface 2.
    02-05-2014 03:49 PM
    I was debating the same thing. I chose the Surface 2 because the keyboard case was not available right away for the 2520. What I love about the Surface 2 that the 2520 lacks is the 2 position kickstand and the integrated full USB port. Also 32GB was not enough internal storage for my liking.
    02-05-2014 11:38 PM
    And, what are your initial impressions?
    So far I'm really happy with my purchase. Still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the Windows RT compared to the iOS I'm use to.
    PLGomez and kristalsoldier like this.
    02-06-2014 08:31 PM
    So far I'm really happy with my purchase. Still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of the Windows RT compared to the iOS I'm use to.
    Youre going to love your Surface 2 :)
    02-07-2014 03:49 PM
    Another happy Windows RT user is what our community needs! The 2520 and Surface 2 are awesome tablets. I hope that you enjoy yours, too!
    02-07-2014 05:56 PM
    I bought my wife an RT as valentine's gift. I bought it fully understanding that it was the older model and with a slower chip. Ive spent the majority of the day tweaking and setting it up for her. I have to admit, I have fallen in love with this thing. I took it to work, logged on the wifi and was running some SAP web based apps and a seperate weboutlook page.

People at work were loving it. It looks sexy, it draws attention, and when i pulled out the kick stand and added a USB mouse.....people flipped. So of course, i show them i can run office on it, and immediately one of my coworkers starts looking to buy one for her husband.

Ive fallen for the surface. Im already itching and planning to get the surface 2. No. I WILL BE GETTING THE SURFACE 2

Im jealous at my wife. That cant be. I must get my Surface.

I looked at the Lumia, but hands down, no way, the surface just is a much more sexier beast.

SURFACE 2 gets my vote

One other thing:

These stupid so called experts cant distinguish RT vs full 8.1? please.... any excuse they can come up with, theyll bring it up

complete biased idiots.
    02-07-2014 08:09 PM
    Great discussion. I am leaving windows phone for the nexus 5, but will never fully leave windows behind. I wanted to know which would be better between the surface 2 and the Lumia 2520.

Btw, what is the deal with the surface pro 2 vs the surface 2? I am quite confused with both.

I was leaning towards the Lumia 2520 because of hardware, responsiveness, and the fact that Nokia products have always been heavy duty! But overall, I think the surface 2 might be better while being more cost effective too. The type 2 keyboard seems to also win majority vote for comfort. The kickstand is also definitely sexy.

I won't be online constantly, as the whole purpose is to have a laptop replacement for typing documents.

But then... I think why not just buy a $500 laptop that has the keyboard already... Will have a lot more power... And whether i use office or openoffice is pointless to me. I know my way around both.

The reason I thought the surface or Lumia would be better was mostly the 2 seconds it takes to ready either one, and the ultra portability of both.

But windows community, convince me! ><

I want a laptop replacement for typing mostly; apps on this market are definitely getting better, but I am not worried about that; I want to be comfortable, but I also want it to be travel proof.

What fits my description best?
    02-09-2014 01:29 AM
    Great discussion. I am leaving windows phone for the nexus 5, but will never fully leave windows behind. I wanted to know which would be better between the surface 2 and the Lumia 2520.

Btw, what is the deal with the surface pro 2 vs the surface 2? I am quite confused with both.

I was leaning towards the Lumia 2520 because of hardware, responsiveness, and the fact that Nokia products have always been heavy duty! But overall, I think the surface 2 might be better while being more cost effective too. The type 2 keyboard seems to also win majority vote for comfort. The kickstand is also definitely sexy.

I won't be online constantly, as the whole purpose is to have a laptop replacement for typing documents.

But then... I think why not just buy a $500 laptop that has the keyboard already... Will have a lot more power... And whether i use office or openoffice is pointless to me. I know my way around both.

The reason I thought the surface or Lumia would be better was mostly the 2 seconds it takes to ready either one, and the ultra portability of both.

But windows community, convince me! ><

I want a laptop replacement for typing mostly; apps on this market are definitely getting better, but I am not worried about that; I want to be comfortable, but I also want it to be travel proof.

What fits my description best?
    Surface 2 is ran by NVidia's Tegra all-in-one chip, meaning it can only run Metro apps while the Surface Pro 2 is run on Intel's latest i5 processor, meaning it can run legacy windows apps (or more per cicely, it is a full-fledge laptop, in tablet form). Due to that, for obvious reasons, the Pro costs more, and that's mainly the biggest difference between the two. :)

So if you need that extra power from the Pro, then by all means, go grab yourself a wonderful machine. However, if you want a tablet that has a few more tricks under its sleeve compared to Android or Apple tablets (think about it, the Surface 2 has a full fledge USB port, and Microsoft has MILLIONS of drivers which the S2 can take full advantage of; from keyboards, printers, even gaming controllers (I'm waiting for the Xbox One driver to be finished myself)), then grab yourself a Surface 2, or, if you can wait, see how the Surface 3 will be. ;)
    exkerZ and Vindies37 like this.
    02-09-2014 01:49 AM
    Oh!!! Wow... I consider myself a tech nerd... And I didnt even realize that the pro 2 had an i5 in it... Of course that's what makes all difference >_> thanks a lot zulfigar! I think I might just wait for a promotion or discount on the pro 2 and snag it immediately, specially if has laptop power while staying in tablet form.
    02-09-2014 01:52 AM
    No problem. :D
    02-09-2014 01:56 AM
    I did more research with a more open mind now. Surface Pro 2 wont work because it has too high of a price while having kind of low end laptop specs. A 600 dollar laptop comes out better, so I am back at square one. Surface 2 vs Lumia 2520. But after much research, I think the surface 2 has won my love <3
    02-09-2014 02:14 AM
    Yeah, you'll definitely love the Surface 2. I actually "downgraded" from the Surface Pro 2. I have no regrets. The Surface 2 seems snappier when starting and looks a lot sexier by being so thin and lightweight. Awesome device. I was going to get the 2520 but there were no keyboards, and there still isn't any and that's unacceptable for my use.
    exkerZ likes this.
    02-09-2014 10:09 PM
    Yeah, all of the logic points towards the surface 2. I still want the 2520 because of how sexy it actually is, so I feel I won't let go of this desire for the 2520 until I finally jump into the surface 2!
    02-10-2014 01:28 AM
    I have the same problem with my RT, it's disappointing, but hasn't spoiled my experience that much.

The Surface 2, as opposed to the Surface 2 Pro, has a bare magnesium case, which is why it's a lighter colour. There is no paint to chip off.

Having owned my RT for over a year, I've found the kickstand a killer feature. It's so nice to be able to just put the device down on the floor and be able to reach easily for it.
    02-10-2014 03:13 AM
    I've had both and the Surface 2 is better in every way. PLENTY of bugs on the 2520's out there. Mine couldn't connect to the internet half the time, and the many apps just flat out didn't work. Surface 2 has been flawless. The 2520 looks sexy has hell though and fooled me honestly.
    02-10-2014 07:54 AM
    So, after a few weeks of being back on the Surface 2, after ditching my original S2 for a 2520, my opinions still stand. 2520 feels like a toy compared to the S2, and the functionality of the S2 is much better, mainly due to the kickstand. The screen might be a slight bit dimmer on the S2, but that's the only concession it makes. Unless you need cellular connectivity of course.
    WillysJeepMan and rav16 like this.
    02-10-2014 10:39 AM
    Welcome to the Surface 2 club! I love mine! Was just playing Halo SA with my XBox360 controller plugged into the USB port... what fun!
    02-12-2014 09:45 PM
    So, after a few weeks of being back on the Surface 2, after ditching my original S2 for a 2520, my opinions still stand. 2520 feels like a toy compared to the S2, and the functionality of the S2 is much better, mainly due to the kickstand. The screen might be a slight bit dimmer on the S2, but that's the only concession it makes. Unless you need cellular connectivity of course.
    Interesting! I don't know what the screen on the 2520 looks like. In fact, I have never seen the 2520 in real life at all only on YouTube. But in so far as the cellular connectivity is concerned. I had thought about that when I originally considered the Surface 2, but then I thought that since I have an unlimited data connection (with a free upgrade to 4G as and when it comes to my city here in the UK) and free tethering, it really did not matter. All I need is to carry a phone charger to carry around! In many ways (with only a few reasons like the inability to use some reference software) I have found the Surface 2 to be an excellent machine.
    02-13-2014 07:12 PM
    It may not be paint, but whatever coating is on the Surface 2 does actually chip off. Mine did, becoming noticeable especially on the corners and around the ports.
    02-14-2014 10:43 PM
    Just a little follow up. In the last 6 months I've gone from S2 to 2520 and back to the S2. For me there's no comparison: the S2 is a much better fit.

One thing I have noticed. In IE my 2520 had an annoying bug where you had to click a link multiple times to get it to register. I wasn't sure if that issue was on my original S2, but now that I'm back, it's not an issue at all.
    03-15-2014 12:23 PM
    Just a little follow up. In the last 6 months I've gone from S2 to 2520 and back to the S2. For me there's no comparison: the S2 is a much better fit.

One thing I have noticed. In IE my 2520 had an annoying bug where you had to click a link multiple times to get it to register. I wasn't sure if that issue was on my original S2, but now that I'm back, it's not an issue at all.
    Glad you're liking your Surface 2
    03-15-2014 07:04 PM
    This was fixed in a software update.
    03-17-2014 07:39 AM
    For those of you switching from the Pro2 to the RT2 or 2520 for the thinner form factor, you might also consider the i7 Sony Tap 11 is a hair thinner than even the RT/RT2! It's also amazingly light. The biggest con is the battery life, but it still trumps the battery life of the original Surface Pro.
    03-17-2014 11:35 PM
51 123