Debating on getting Surface 2 or Lumia 2520

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've never even seen a 2520 yet, but have the Surface 2 and can give you some of my opinions. Up until the Surface 2 I wasn't a big tablet fan (I'd rather just use my phone in my pocket, or get a laptop).

Pros:
-The kickstand is awesome.
-Having a full size USB is rather convenient (though my understanding is you have this on the keyboard for the 2520). This would probably even be more helpful if I upgraded to a printer it would work with (I have a 6+ year old multi-function that isn't supported).
-I'm really impressed with the front facing camera for things like Skype. Good in lower light conditions.

Cons:
-The speakers don't get loud enough. It is fine for having a discussion between 2 adults on Skype. Throw a toddler in the background, or trying to Skype with a toddler at your side, and the experience goes downhill. If the kiddo is loud to any degree you can't hear the other end over the speaker. It's almost like a walkie talkie (only one side can talk at a time).
-I've had some issues with the thing freezing up on me and requiring a restart when trying to come out of sleep (as in close the tablet when you are done, come back and open it, and it gets stuck on the login screen or around that point). It is immensely frustrating, and pretty much means the only way to make sure I don't have this problem is to shut down, and boot it up every time I want to use it. Which takes a bit of time. I'm not sure if this is a Surface 2 issue, Windows 8, or user error (come to think of it, I probably should look at the setting and see if there is an easy fix for this).
-I also had some problems with it asking me for my bitlocker code a lot, but I believe that was fixed with a patch (haven't had the problem recently), and usually seemed to be related to the forced restarts due to the above.

oliverr871

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
As someone who has had both devices, I ended up with the Nokia Lumia 2520. The wireless 4G/LTE connectivity, excellent screen, short charging times (coupled with long battery life) and portability of the tablet were all important aspects that helped my decision.

The Lumia is easier to hold around and comfortable because of the rounded edges VS. the sharp angles of the surface. Also because the screen is not too big, it is manageable to hold in portrait mode and much more comfortable. The soft touch of the device (black) is a bonus so it is pleasing to the touch. I also enjoy the super-fast charging (0-80% in one hour) so I can enjoy the tablet more on the go instead of being plugged in all the time, and I can get away with not charging. The power keyboard adds two USB ports, touchpad, physical keys along with an additional battery to supplement the main battery. It is also designed like a portfolio so it wraps and protects the tablet. I know the Surface will be offering a power keyboard with the battery priced at $199, with the Nokia Power Keyboard priced at $149.The lack of a physical USB port on the Lumia is not a drawback, you can find a OTG adapter for $3-5 if you look around.

Both screens are good, however the Nokia screen simply is unmatched by any tablet on the market for having the best color accuracy, brightest display, Nokia Clearblack to reduce reflection, and outdoor visibility. It is 74 percent brighter than the Surface 2 and 52 percent brighter than the iPad Air. You can read the view on DisplayMate, a site known for performing intense testing on displays. Windows Tablet Display Technology Shoot-Out

The only drawback I had is that the screen has no oleophobic coating, so it is a fingerprint/smudge magnet. I solved this issue buying the IllumiShield oleophobic screen protector on Amazon, and it has all the properly cutouts and significantly reduces smudges and fingerprints so it is smooth to operate the screen. I know the Surface has an oleophobic coating on it. The Surface also has the kickstand, and since I had the Surface before, the removal of such stand in the Lumia took a little time to get used to, but eventually I got over it.

Both are great devices, it just depends on how you think you will be using it. The ruggedness of the Lumia 2520 allows me to take it anywhere, indoors and outdoors, without having to worry about if it will scratch or break. Hope this was helpful and assisted you in your decision. Good luck!

I also forgot to add this addendum, but the speakers on the Lumia 2520 are wonderful. They are placed below the screen and are significantly louder than the Surface. When using the Nokia Power Keyboard, it gives it an additional boost because there is surface area below the speakers where the sound can reflect off, rather than just playing into the air when holding it. Also, they sound like they have more depth during playback rather than the Surface speakers, which are somewhat hollow and tinny. I remember frequently I'd have to cup my hand in the corner so that the sound reflects off of my hand so I could hear it.

flotto

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
so Monday night I went ahead and got the Surface 2. figured if after 14 days I wasn't happy i'd return it and go with the lumia 2520

msweig

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
One other thing I forgot to mention. If you are not interested in the Skype and/or SkyDrive/OneDrive promotion you can always sell it on eBay. Though I wouldn't do this until you know you are going to keep it.

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I would go for the surface 2. The kickstand is brilliant and whilst the 2520 cover offers something similar you can cant get the kickstand support without the cover on. Its amazing how often I actually want the Surface 2 keyboard off and just use the kick stand. Can't do that with the 2520.

I looked at both closely in John Lewis before buying my Surface 2 and the overall feel of the Surface 2 is better in my opinion, including the responsiveness of the screen. For some reason I felt quite 'detached' when trying to operate the Nokia... I went into the shop somewhat biased to the Nokia but ended up loving the Surface 2.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I was debating the same thing. I chose the Surface 2 because the keyboard case was not available right away for the 2520. What I love about the Surface 2 that the 2520 lacks is the 2 position kickstand and the integrated full USB port. Also 32GB was not enough internal storage for my liking.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Another happy Windows RT user is what our community needs! The 2520 and Surface 2 are awesome tablets. I hope that you enjoy yours, too!

turbulent28

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I bought my wife an RT as valentine's gift. I bought it fully understanding that it was the older model and with a slower chip. Ive spent the majority of the day tweaking and setting it up for her. I have to admit, I have fallen in love with this thing. I took it to work, logged on the wifi and was running some SAP web based apps and a seperate weboutlook page.

People at work were loving it. It looks sexy, it draws attention, and when i pulled out the kick stand and added a USB mouse.....people flipped. So of course, i show them i can run office on it, and immediately one of my coworkers starts looking to buy one for her husband.

Ive fallen for the surface. Im already itching and planning to get the surface 2. No. I WILL BE GETTING THE SURFACE 2

Im jealous at my wife. That cant be. I must get my Surface.

I looked at the Lumia, but hands down, no way, the surface just is a much more sexier beast.

SURFACE 2 gets my vote

One other thing:

These stupid so called experts cant distinguish RT vs full 8.1? please.... any excuse they can come up with, theyll bring it up

complete biased idiots.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Great discussion. I am leaving windows phone for the nexus 5, but will never fully leave windows behind. I wanted to know which would be better between the surface 2 and the Lumia 2520.

Btw, what is the deal with the surface pro 2 vs the surface 2? I am quite confused with both.

I was leaning towards the Lumia 2520 because of hardware, responsiveness, and the fact that Nokia products have always been heavy duty! But overall, I think the surface 2 might be better while being more cost effective too. The type 2 keyboard seems to also win majority vote for comfort. The kickstand is also definitely sexy.

I won't be online constantly, as the whole purpose is to have a laptop replacement for typing documents.

But then... I think why not just buy a $500 laptop that has the keyboard already... Will have a lot more power... And whether i use office or openoffice is pointless to me. I know my way around both.

The reason I thought the surface or Lumia would be better was mostly the 2 seconds it takes to ready either one, and the ultra portability of both.

But windows community, convince me! ><

I want a laptop replacement for typing mostly; apps on this market are definitely getting better, but I am not worried about that; I want to be comfortable, but I also want it to be travel proof.

What fits my description best?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Great discussion. I am leaving windows phone for the nexus 5, but will never fully leave windows behind. I wanted to know which would be better between the surface 2 and the Lumia 2520.

Btw, what is the deal with the surface pro 2 vs the surface 2? I am quite confused with both.

I was leaning towards the Lumia 2520 because of hardware, responsiveness, and the fact that Nokia products have always been heavy duty! But overall, I think the surface 2 might be better while being more cost effective too. The type 2 keyboard seems to also win majority vote for comfort. The kickstand is also definitely sexy.

I won't be online constantly, as the whole purpose is to have a laptop replacement for typing documents.

But then... I think why not just buy a $500 laptop that has the keyboard already... Will have a lot more power... And whether i use office or openoffice is pointless to me. I know my way around both.

The reason I thought the surface or Lumia would be better was mostly the 2 seconds it takes to ready either one, and the ultra portability of both.

But windows community, convince me! ><

I want a laptop replacement for typing mostly; apps on this market are definitely getting better, but I am not worried about that; I want to be comfortable, but I also want it to be travel proof.

What fits my description best?

Surface 2 is ran by NVidia's Tegra all-in-one chip, meaning it can only run Metro apps while the Surface Pro 2 is run on Intel's latest i5 processor, meaning it can run legacy windows apps (or more per cicely, it is a full-fledge laptop, in tablet form). Due to that, for obvious reasons, the Pro costs more, and that's mainly the biggest difference between the two. :)

So if you need that extra power from the Pro, then by all means, go grab yourself a wonderful machine. However, if you want a tablet that has a few more tricks under its sleeve compared to Android or Apple tablets (think about it, the Surface 2 has a full fledge USB port, and Microsoft has MILLIONS of drivers which the S2 can take full advantage of; from keyboards, printers, even gaming controllers (I'm waiting for the Xbox One driver to be finished myself)), then grab yourself a Surface 2, or, if you can wait, see how the Surface 3 will be. ;)

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Oh!!! Wow... I consider myself a tech nerd... And I didnt even realize that the pro 2 had an i5 in it... Of course that's what makes all difference >_> thanks a lot zulfigar! I think I might just wait for a promotion or discount on the pro 2 and snag it immediately, specially if has laptop power while staying in tablet form.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I did more research with a more open mind now. Surface Pro 2 wont work because it has too high of a price while having kind of low end laptop specs. A 600 dollar laptop comes out better, so I am back at square one. Surface 2 vs Lumia 2520. But after much research, I think the surface 2 has won my love <3

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you'll definitely love the Surface 2. I actually "downgraded" from the Surface Pro 2. I have no regrets. The Surface 2 seems snappier when starting and looks a lot sexier by being so thin and lightweight. Awesome device. I was going to get the 2520 but there were no keyboards, and there still isn't any and that's unacceptable for my use.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, all of the logic points towards the surface 2. I still want the 2520 because of how sexy it actually is, so I feel I won't let go of this desire for the 2520 until I finally jump into the surface 2!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs