Debating on getting Surface 2 or Lumia 2520

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my RT, it's disappointing, but hasn't spoiled my experience that much.

The Surface 2, as opposed to the Surface 2 Pro, has a bare magnesium case, which is why it's a lighter colour. There is no paint to chip off.

Having owned my RT for over a year, I've found the kickstand a killer feature. It's so nice to be able to just put the device down on the floor and be able to reach easily for it.

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had both and the Surface 2 is better in every way. PLENTY of bugs on the 2520's out there. Mine couldn't connect to the internet half the time, and the many apps just flat out didn't work. Surface 2 has been flawless. The 2520 looks sexy has hell though and fooled me honestly.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
So, after a few weeks of being back on the Surface 2, after ditching my original S2 for a 2520, my opinions still stand. 2520 feels like a toy compared to the S2, and the functionality of the S2 is much better, mainly due to the kickstand. The screen might be a slight bit dimmer on the S2, but that's the only concession it makes. Unless you need cellular connectivity of course.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Surface 2 club! I love mine! Was just playing Halo SA with my XBox360 controller plugged into the USB port... what fun!

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
So, after a few weeks of being back on the Surface 2, after ditching my original S2 for a 2520, my opinions still stand. 2520 feels like a toy compared to the S2, and the functionality of the S2 is much better, mainly due to the kickstand. The screen might be a slight bit dimmer on the S2, but that's the only concession it makes. Unless you need cellular connectivity of course.

Interesting! I don't know what the screen on the 2520 looks like. In fact, I have never seen the 2520 in real life at all only on YouTube. But in so far as the cellular connectivity is concerned. I had thought about that when I originally considered the Surface 2, but then I thought that since I have an unlimited data connection (with a free upgrade to 4G as and when it comes to my city here in the UK) and free tethering, it really did not matter. All I need is to carry a phone charger to carry around! In many ways (with only a few reasons like the inability to use some reference software) I have found the Surface 2 to be an excellent machine.

CafeChemist

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
It may not be paint, but whatever coating is on the Surface 2 does actually chip off. Mine did, becoming noticeable especially on the corners and around the ports.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Just a little follow up. In the last 6 months I've gone from S2 to 2520 and back to the S2. For me there's no comparison: the S2 is a much better fit.

One thing I have noticed. In IE my 2520 had an annoying bug where you had to click a link multiple times to get it to register. I wasn't sure if that issue was on my original S2, but now that I'm back, it's not an issue at all.

Daylife

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Just a little follow up. In the last 6 months I've gone from S2 to 2520 and back to the S2. For me there's no comparison: the S2 is a much better fit.

One thing I have noticed. In IE my 2520 had an annoying bug where you had to click a link multiple times to get it to register. I wasn't sure if that issue was on my original S2, but now that I'm back, it's not an issue at all.

Glad you're liking your Surface 2

oliverr871

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

This was fixed in a software update.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
For those of you switching from the Pro2 to the RT2 or 2520 for the thinner form factor, you might also consider the i7 Sony Tap 11 is a hair thinner than even the RT/RT2! It's also amazingly light. The biggest con is the battery life, but it still trumps the battery life of the original Surface Pro.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
i7 Sony Tap 11 is a hair thinner than even the RT/RT2

What are you talking about? Sony Tap 11 White (Pentium Processor) is 9.9mm. Sony Tap 11 (i5/i7) is 10.5 mm. Surface 2 is 8.9mm, so quite a bit thinner than both. Dont believe Sony's marketing claims.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos