Deciding which windows tablet to buy

1iam5mith

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I can't make my mind up between a surface 2, or a lenovo miix 2.

On one hand the lenovo is cheaper and full windows 8. But the surface has a premium build quality.

Full windows 8 with cheap build or RT with premium... I just can't decide!

I have a pretty powerful Mac that I do my photo editing and other intensive tasks on, so not sure if I need full windows 8.

I hate the fact Microsoft aren't allowing 3rd party browsers on rt!

What made you guys pick the surface 2?

I don't know which to get! #FirstWorldProblems

Sent from my LG-D802 using Mobile Nations mobile app

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I can't make my mind up between a surface 2, or a lenovo miix 2.

On one hand the lenovo is cheaper and full windows 8. But the surface has a premium build quality.

Full windows 8 with cheap build or RT with premium... I just can't decide!

I have a pretty powerful Mac that I do my photo editing and other intensive tasks on, so not sure if I need full windows 8.

I hate the fact Microsoft aren't allowing 3rd party browsers on rt!

What made you guys pick the surface 2?

I don't know which to get! #FirstWorldProblems

Sent from my LG-D802 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Having spent 5.5 months with a Surface RT, I have changed my thoughts about WinRT vs Win 8. At first, I saw WinRT as preferable over full Windows because I (erroneously) thought that RT would require less hand-holding, systems maintenance type activity. I saw RT as being optimized for mobile use (battery life-wise).

But what I've experienced is that RT is no better in terms of maintenance-free operation vs. full Windows 8. On top of that, the lack of apps, in particular Google Chrome is seriously limiting my use of the Surface. The things that it CAN do that no other tablet can, it does EXTREMELY WELL. But many of the things that I take for granted on the iPad are often more cumbersome and limiting on the Surface.

For my uses and considering the other hardware I have at my disposal, a $199 Surface RT is a fine addition. But I couldn't justify the full cost of a Surface 2 for the type and amount of use I could get from that platform.

I just replaced my dying 15" Macbook Pro with a 21" iMac and have come to greatly appreciate the virtually maintenance-free ownership of OSX-based devices.

Having said that, knowing what I now know, if I were choosing between the Miix 2 and the Surface 2, I'd pick the Miix 2. The build quality looks fine. The connectivity/ports options appears to be comparable to the Surface 2 and the keyboard/dock is the clincher.

YMMV

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
This is a tough question to answer, so I can only respond from my perspective.

A lot is going to come down to screen size. I already had a Nexus 7, so I wasn't interested in that form factor. I didn't have a full size tablet, so I was very interested in, and purchased, a Surface 2.

As for RT vs full Windows, I've yet to be convinced of the utility gained by having full windows on a small screen of 8" or less. But, I've never used it in that way so I can't make any real comment. However, I can say that I had absolutely no interest in full Windows on a full sized tablet. Why? I have my pc, and always will, for hard core tasks and work. A tablet will always be a complimentary device and, as such, I don't see the need for full windows. And, even if I did need full windows, I'd have concerns over the screen size and a secondary concern over the CPU's performance.

Bottom line, the Surface 2 and RT does everything I need it to and more. I miss absolutely nothing when using it. IE has performed very well. But, I became angry with Google and Chrome over the past year and switched to IE on my desktop anyway.

Again, this is from my perspective and my personal needs. Your mileage, wants, and needs WILL vary. :)

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The decision should be quite easy. If you want to use your device mainly as tablet and not a desktop/laptop replacement you most likely would not care nor need any support for legacy (x86) desktop programs. Then going with the surface 2 would give you following advantages:

- more premium device build from magnesium
- kickstand/type cover is the much better option compared to carrying around a separate tastatur dock.
- Full size USB host connector on the device itself
- USB 3 (instead of only USB 2)
- Faster SoC (e.g. GPU usually faster with Tegra 4 compared to Baytrail 3770)
- much more resistant against viruses and trojans, due to the fact we are running ARM SoC here.
- Outlook 2013 part of the SW package (in addition to office)

Of course if you need to run x86 Desktop apps, then you need to stick to the Lenovo. Unfortunately you also going to miss out on the advantages described above.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I had a Macbook Air as my only device. I sold it and bought the Surface Pro 2. The Surface Pro 2 was too much power for what I used it for. I sold it and bought the Surface 2. I love how well it's built and how it looks. I'm a law student and this does everything I need for school and entertainment purposes. It's my only computer and I prefer it over others because of it's build quality and ease of use. After coming from Apple devices there are few PCs/Tablets that meet or exceed the premium feel of Apple. I feel like the Surface 2 definitely exceeds or is at least comparable.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually it depends on what you need it for. To me, most of my activities are on the browser, its like my universal app and im used to it, and IE11 is actually very good.

websites that I switched from to use its app:
1) facebook, as the app does everything I need.
2) Reddit, I found an amazing app (reddit) that is just pure beauty, sadly it seems I cant comment, which is very very weird, but im sure it will be updated.
3) twitter.
4) News, Flipboard is amazing, in addition to the Bing suite, I LOVE IT.

Other than that, I'm on the web.

As for choosing, ill go for the Surface 2. Tegra 4 > Atom. IMO.

Don't lie to your self, you can't run Photoshop nor Skyrim on an ATOM device (that's how they market Windows 8.1 Atom devices).

edchair

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I am disappointed no top-of-the-line Windows 8.1 tablet has 4G/LTE. Microsoft could own the business market with it. Limited without it.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I would never recommend the Surface RT to anyone, or not very many people at all.
I have the Surface Pro (Not Pro 2), and I do a lot on it. It's a very powerful tablet.
i5 CPU, 4G of Ram, 128G SDD and up to 64G Micro SD Cards, with USB and Digitizer Pen
It's worth every penny.

I don't have to worry about what I can or can't install on it. Cause I can install anything I want on it.
I have Visual Studio, Firefox, Object Desktop, and much more.
The screen size is not an issue at all. And If I really need to I can hook it up to a larger LCD, or my TV if I want, through MiniHDMI

RT is fine for some people (not many), but once you start using it and realizing it's potential, you will wish you had got the Full Blown Windows Pro Tablet.

As for 4G/LTE, that's moot point.
You can tether with your Phone. and if you can't, time to upgrade your Phone or Switch Carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6