Hi,

I have just bought a new Surface 2 (rt) and loving it. I bought the 32GB version as I think that will be enough but if I do start to struggle with space , I could delete the recovery partition. I know you can create a USB recovery backup as ive just been on to the Microsoft site. My question is, can I do the same but create a backup DVD of the recovery instead of using my USB drive?

Matt
    02-23-2014 11:49 AM
    No, I do not believe this is possible.
    Mainly because, external DVD Writers are not very common and most people will not purchase one for a tablet.
    There really is no need for one anymore.

But I would recommend creating 2 USB Flash drive backups, in case one of them goes bad.
    Regardless if you delete the partition or not.

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't delete the partition either. You won't gain that much space.
    Just use the MicroSD Card Slot for up to 64G of additional drive space, and external Travel Drives of a couple Gig's if needed.

Since you have the RT version, the only things you will be able to install are Apps and Office,
    Apps will not take up that much space, unless you install about a million of them.

The most space you will use is going to be purely data, pictures, videos.
    Use external drives and MicroSD Cards for that.

To help give you a sense of how much space you might use,,,, I have a 128G Surface Pro
    I have office and some other software installed, not too much, and I am using 25G of space.
    Deleting the recovery partitions might gain you about 8G
    that will only put you at about 40G total drive space.
    With the use of MicroSD Cards and External USB Drives, it's not significant enough, in my opinion, to delete the recovery partition.

But I would still recommend creating the USB Backups of the Recovery partition, just not delete it.
    02-23-2014 02:13 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I do have an external dvd so was hoping to do it on a dvd and have a few backups of that. One thing i have noticed, i did all the updates and it put me at 15gb space free. Installed nothing and checked it after about an hour and it showed 14.7gb free. Ive just checked it after approx 3hrs of use and its got 14.5gb free??
    02-23-2014 02:17 PM
    Yes, updates and temp files will take up some space, you can clean up a little space by running the following...
    What you are likely seeing is Temp Files from Apps and Internet taking that space, you will always have that.
    You will need to do cleanups more frequently.
    I personally would not recommend anyone get the 32G Tablets of any kind. It's not a lot of space anymore.

Disk Cleanup and delete everything, also have it check System Files and dump the Recovery Points except for the last one.

You can gain a slight bit of space back by running from an administrative command prompt

schtasks.exe /Run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Servicing\StartComponentCleanup"

This will not free up a lot of space, but it could help. It is a regular maintenance that gets run periodically, but you can run it whenever you like with that command
    Read more here,,, Clean Up the WinSxS Folder
    02-23-2014 02:28 PM
    The hard disk ofSurface 2 (rt) is emmc, you can compare it with SSD. Then you know...
    02-23-2014 08:51 PM