Update 1 (Spring) on Surface 2

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Update is live on Microsoft's servers again.

Grab the Windows 8.1 Spring Update from Microsoft servers today | Windows Phone Central

Installed. Everything is working fine. I did each update one-by-one. Pinning apps to the taskbar works pretty well and isn't as awkward as I thought it would be. Also, the sorted app lists are a much welcomed addition. Not a massive improvement but should help those that frequently move between metro and desktop. Although I think x86 tablet users will get more out of this than desktop users.

Kyle LeBron

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I have a Surface 2 and I am hesitant to go about upgrading this. What new features are there for RT folk? They mention the desktop version has the ability to pin RT apps to the taskbar and such. Is there any noticeable features that were not there previously?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Some features are only accessible when using a mouse, otherwise, there's not much here for RT specifically.

• Pinning metro apps to desktop taskbar.
  • Classic taskbar in ModernApp.
  • Link to classic Control Panel in PC Settings.
  • Shutdown button on the Start screen.
  • Search button on the Start screen.
  • Context Menu appears when you right-click on the ModernApp (Tiles).
  • Title on the ModernApp and close button.
  • Sorted App list in Apps screen (all programs) by default.
  • Update Internet Explorer to 11.0.7 (more details on that here).
  • "Enterprise Mode" in Internet Explorer 11.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So nothing got added to RT essentially? This is specifically an x86 and x64 update?

You get all those for RT, but since most people use their RT as a tablet (in other words, without a mouse and keyboard) you won't notice the improvements as much as a desktop user would.

The biggest thing for me about this update for my Surface 2 is the resurrection of double tap and select using the Type Cover 2 trackpad.

Last edited:

Kyle LeBron

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies HeyCori. I question if all of them will work the same. Will you be able to pin RT apps to the desktop like you would on the Intel based Windows devices? This way when you plug it into a monitor, you can be off to the races?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you can pin metro apps to the taskbar. I have several pinned already. They still open in full screen like standard metro apps.

Kyle LeBron

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
That is fine, I was just wondering if this functionality was actually available. Is the snap view available when in the desktop mode and is the task bar actually available if I were to mouse down when hooked up to another monitor. I know I am asking a bit, but I am really excited to take advantage of new features, especially if they expand functionality in a big way.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The desktop mode supports snap mode but it's been like that since day one. The taskbar stays on the bottom when the desktop is snapped with another app. The taskbar will automatically shrink in snap mode and up/down arrows will appear so you can still select apps on the taskbar that are hidden from view. I have four apps pinned on my taskbar but I will probably add a lot more over time. I'm already finding that metro apps on the taskbar is incredibly useful when I have my full set up (i.e. mouse, keyboard and second monitor).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
The apps do not open in the desktop. They still open full screen like usual. Once you click on a metro app from the taskbar the taskbar and the desktop disappears.

Kyle LeBron

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Okay, that is what I was looking to know. Either way, I still think this is very good functionality either way. If they were able to offer that for the Modern apps on another monitor, to me this would pretty much make it ultimate. It is good either way. I genuinely appreciate all of your replies.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
So nothing got added to RT essentially? This is specifically an x86 and x64 update?

What many People unfortunately fail to understand is, that Windows RT is not a separate OS. It is just another build target for Windows, just like x86 and x64 are 2 additional build targets. So if you bring in new features, they are readily available for all Windows build targets including ARM.
For this reason the idea of merging Windows RT and Windows Phone, which many proclaim, cannot possibly work. You cannot merge something with Windows RT, which at the same time you are not merging with Windows. If you tried to do so, you would create a 3rd OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett