Update 1 (Spring) on Surface 2

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else install Update 1* on Surface? Works a treat, althouugh most of the tweaks are not really much of an improvement for a tablet like S2. However, it may have fixed a couple of niggles I was having. See in a few more days.

Curiously I don't have the new Power Options on the Start Screen, Search is there. Anyone else seeing this?

* Don't ask. Bing/Google is your friend.

mclark2112

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
I did it too, the power button is only visible for non-touchscreen devices.

I haven't seen any noticeable improvements, although I also didn't have real complaints either... Still like this machine a lot. (just ordered a 920 from eBay to play with again in anticipation of 8.1)

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I installed it on my Surface 2 too.
Defintely faster/smoother at launching/switching apps, and IE11 is now a rocket like never before.

Everything is pretty stable/solid too, very glad I did the update.
Now it's time for some updated March/April Firmware and Drivers :)

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Installed on mine. No issues so far, and unlike others I haven't noticed any speed improvements (not like the Surface 2 really needed any TBH). Only used it for a couple days though so we'll see how it goes after a week's worth of use.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Big Firmware upgrade today for Surface 2:

Surface 2 UEFI (v4.18.500) provides support for Surface Power Cover.
System Aggregator Firmware (v1.0.48500.0) provides support for Surface Power Cover.
Surface Platform Power Driver (v2.0.524.0) provides support for Surface Power Cover.
Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.523.0) provides support for Surface Power Cover.
Surface Touch Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.517.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
Surface Type Cover 2 Firmware Update Device (v2.0.517.0) update improves multiple finger support on the touchpad.
Surface Home Button Driver (v2.0.281.0) resolves behavior where Surface would sometimes not wake from sleep.
Surface System Software Device (v5.0.498.0) includes stability and experience improvements.

Gonna test this out on 8.1.1 later today, I'll let you know ;)

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Also, two other benefits. I have had no disk errors (none at all) in the log since the update. And whilst I am still seeing display errors and slow wake-up, I haven't had a full blown SoD event where I've had to cold boot. Touch wood ...

Looking forward to seeing what firmware changes are in today's updates.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
March updates installed smoothly on my Surface 2 8.1.1 RTM.
Everything works like expected, no SoDs, no errors or crashes at all.
Everything is super fast and reliable, pretty good work by Microsoft

malberti1993

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
windows 8.1 update 1 for surface 2

Where can I download this elaborate update and do you guys happen to know the changes it brings to surface owners generally windows RT?

Thanks

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: windows 8.1 update 1 for surface 2

March updates installed smoothly on my Surface 2 8.1.1 RTM.
Everything works like expected, no SoDs, no errors or crashes at all.
Everything is super fast and reliable, pretty good work by Microsoft
Same here , got the update here in India today morning the update went smooth without any problems . took less then 15 mins .

Where can I download this elaborate update and do you guys happen to know the changes it brings to surface owners generally windows RT?

Thanks
Settings -change pc settings -update and recovery - check for new updates . it must be there

Paul Nicholas

May 16, 2013
Visit site
malberti1993, don't listen to rav.

These guys have Windows 8.1.1, they downloaded it from Microsoft when they accidentally put links up on their site. They have since stopped that.

You can either download it from illegal websites or you can wait till April 6th like most sane people are doing.

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
malberti1993, don't listen to rav.

These guys have Windows 8.1.1, they downloaded it from Microsoft when they accidentally put links up on their site. They have since stopped that.

You can either download it from illegal websites or you can wait till April 6th like most sane people are doing.

:) I assumed you got it from Microsoft rather than some torrent site though

Paul Nicholas - I was talking about the march update from Microsoft for the surface 2 , and not the 8.1.1 spring update . I am too running the 8.1 update only and will update to 8.1.1 only when it is officially available form Microsoft .
Hope it's clear now .

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
:) I assumed you got it from Microsoft rather than some torrent site though

Yes, a few of us here are running the 8.1up1 version. In my case I wanted to see if anything improved on the errors in Event Viewer. A little is the answer. The March 2014 firmware updates helped too. I see little or no disk errors, fewer display errors - but still appearing periodically. Best of all - so far - no SoD. I can happily open the cover or turn it on and other than some hesitations the S2 display will start properly. A couple of time I've had to tap the power switch a few times before display appeared. These events were associated with display errors in the log. So not completely sorted yet.

Torrent sites? Yes Update 1 may have been available in such sites, but it was originally available directly from MS updates server. There was a registry setting which enabled this - for a time - direct from the Windows Updates app in Windows. Sure it wasn't meant for public consumption, but it was 'official'. Afterwards the direct links were available for a time and it could be downloaded and installed by hand. Only after that did people have to resort to third party sites - not necessarily torrents.

Obviously caveat downloader. Of course there is a chance of things going horribly wrong, but with the Surface you are only a Refresh away from brand new :)

Man0fSteel

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I have been using the Spring update since it was accidentally released and I have to say it has massively improved my battery life - especially during sleep. I haven't had a full charge since the day after the upgrade. I haven't had this good of battery life since day 1. I have 28% remaining and I took it off of the charger 4 days ago. Makes me appreciate this device even more again!

But now I read that the update leaked is a preview and not RTM... I sure hope that they don't mess anything up when the real version is released.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
=But now I read that the update leaked is a preview and not RTM... I sure hope that they don't mess anything up when the real version is released.

Do you have a reliable source for this? Everything I saw indicated it was RTM. If they follow the method they used with Win 8 would mean that there may be additional updates when it becomes generally available. The need to have the RTM to send to the device manufacturers so that as soon as possible they can incorporate it into their system image process..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss