Update 1 (Spring) on Surface 2

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I did it too, the power button is only visible for non-touchscreen devices.

I haven't seen any noticeable improvements, although I also didn't have real complaints either... Still like this machine a lot. (just ordered a 920 from eBay to play with again in anticipation of 8.1)

Actually on my Yoga 2 the power button is there and it is a touch screen. It must be something else that triggers its appearance. Maybe a built in keyboard?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
How can we rollback the firmware updates that were released on 3/11? One or a combination of those updates (I'm think it is the firmware update for the TypeCover) that is now preventing my Surface 2 from entering "connected standby" when the keyboard is attached.

If Microsoft is going to push updates to our devices (and not allow us to decline the update) they better well make sure that the updates are without bugs...and if there ARE bugs, not to wait a month before the next fix cycle.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Control Panel > Device Manager > selected device > right click, Properties (or double tap) > Driver tab > Roll Back Driver

I don't have the touch/type cover but I think the firmware is listed under Firmware/Touch Firmware in Device Manager.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Control Panel > Device Manager > selected device > right click, Properties (or double tap) > Driver tab > Roll Back Driver

I don't have the touch/type cover but I think the firmware is listed under Firmware/Touch Firmware in Device Manager.
Thanks. In my mind there's a difference between a device driver and firmware which explains why I didn't think to look in device manager. :smile:

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
How can we rollback the firmware updates that were released on 3/11? One or a combination of those updates (I'm think it is the firmware update for the TypeCover) that is now preventing my Surface 2 from entering "connected standby" when the keyboard is attached.

If Microsoft is going to push updates to our devices (and not allow us to decline the update) they better well make sure that the updates are without bugs...and if there ARE bugs, not to wait a month before the next fix cycle.
Hey,

I have the same problem and I have been discussing it with others over here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...5-fix-wake-issue-not-working.html#post2409607
I also already posted in the MS support forums (that thread can be found in the post I linked to above...).

Has rolling back the firmware update fixed the issue? I was also guessing that the firmware update is the culprit but until I read your post and HeyCori's answer to it I didn't know that one can roll back firmware updates...
So, did you manage to fix it? And if so, would you be so kind and tell me what updates exactly you rolled back?

Thanks!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm at work right now, but I plan on rolling back the update when I get home and report here. Ironically, I usually bring my Surface with me but because of the battery drain issue I decided to leave it home today.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Update. Since I was not able to rollback the firmware/drivers, I went poking around the updates. I uninstalled: "Update for Windows RT 8.1 (KB2883200)". I then rebooted, did some testing on the device. Checked for updates. It found that update and offered to install it. I let it install and rebooted.

I then powered it up and let it sit, allowing it to go into connected standby at the standard time. Here's what I'm now seeing:

99% 7:45am
99% 8:00am
99% 8:10am (updated apps from the store, checked for updates, and cleaned up the SoftwareDistribution/download folder)
97% 9:04am
97% 9:27am
96% 1:16pm
95% 1:54pm
94% 2:49pm
94% 4:01pm

That's even better than I was experiencing before the mysterious drain. I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:

v0lum3

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
A very interresting update tbh.. the KB article stats the following:
Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 General Availability Update Rollup

Push-button reset and boot experience: Stabilizes the boot experience. Fits and finishes changes in push-button reset (PBR) and refresh. (Client and Server)

In-box apps: Provides reliability and stabilization fixes for inbox apps, including Camera, Photo, and Video Viewer. Stabilizes OneDrive (formerly SkyDrive) integration with inbox apps. (Client)

Graphics and multimedia platform: Improves graphics and multimedia reliability and performance, including stabilized visuals across power states. Improves 3D performance. Improves the handling of PlayTo. (Client)

File server and clustering: Improves Enterprise Client Sync experience. Resolves reliability issues in continuous availability (CA) and backup scenarios involving failover clustering, Hyper-V, iSCSI and DedDup. (Server)
Hyper-V: Provides general virtualization reliability fixes in Hyper-V, Network Virtualization, and Remote Desktop Virtualization for large deployments. (Server)

Known issues
The following known issues may occur after you apply this update:?When you scan and send a document from a Multifunction Print (MFP) device by using the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol to a file share on a Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer, the scan file cannot be saved to the file share and you receive an error message indicating that send operation failed.

A fix is scheduled to be included with the upcoming update rollup in November 2013.
You experience an error when resuming a computer from hibernation, and a blank screen is shown. This issue may occur with some computers that have TPM chips enabled.

Microsoft is aware of this issue, and this article will be updated when a fix is available.

The graphics improvements and the TPM issues, could explain a lot of problems I'm having with my Surface 2 at least.. especially the damn "slow to wake" or sometime "sleep of death" issues!
Seems like an old update, since it says it will fix some issues in November 2013.. so this might be the update responsible for creating the sleep of death issues! :O

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Update. Since I was not able to rollback the firmware/drivers, I went poking around the updates. I uninstalled: "Update for Windows RT 8.1 (KB2883200)". I then rebooted, did some testing on the device. Checked for updates. It found that update and offered to install it. I let it install and rebooted.

Hmm, I think you may be on to something. I removed kb2883200 out of curiosity. This was the first Roll-Up and since I have the Update 1 (KB2919355), a cumulative roll-up, installed - which includes 2883200 - it didn't prompt to reinstall it. Battery life on standby has definitely improved. Whilst I still get display errors and my disk errors are getting worse I haven't had any terminal SoDs, just some slow to wake events.

Of course it could be just coincidence ...

Have arranged for an exchange device - so hoping all those issues will go away with that.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Had the wake of death issue on my Surface 2, restored it to 8.1, was good for all that time. Then here at BUILD I downloaded the update directly from Microsoft, and again the wake of death issue pops up, *sigh

sportex

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Could someone enlighten me please? What are "wake events"?
I think a "wake event" has just occurred on my surface 2. It was on charge and I couldn't get it to switch on. After playing about with the on/off button it started up. This was happening on my rt before I got it exchanged for the surface 2.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I think a "wake event" has just occurred on my surface 2. It was on charge and I couldn't get it to switch on. After playing about with the on/off button it started up. This was happening on my rt before I got it exchanged for the surface 2.

See here: System Wake-up Events (Windows)

Though relating to Win 7, the principle in Win 8 is the same: Unwanted wake-up events may occur when you enable the Wake On LAN feature in Windows 7 or in Windows Vista

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

How or where did you get your RT exchanged for a Surface 2?

sportex

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My surface rt started to suffer with with screen freezing and shuddering. Had to switch it off then on every few minutes. Became unusable. I bought it from John Lewis (uk). came with a 2 year guarantee, they offered to replace it like for like so I asked if I could pay the difference (?60) for the surface 2 to which they agreed.

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

I think in the context of this discussion (Surface 2/RT issues) I would use the term 'Wake Events' to describe when the Surface doesn't initially wake from connected standby. Open cover - nothing. Press power-button - nothing. Press it again a few times and eventually the Surface responds. This is distinct from full-blown Sleep-of-Death when the Surface never wakes up completely - need to hold down the power-button for 10 (long) seconds to restart). In both cases the device is awake beneath a black screen. I think they are the same issue and appear to be related to bad display drivers and/or bad display hardware.

I am suspicious that the issue where the top-left area of the touch-screen 'sticks' is also related to the display driver.

Check the Event Viewer when these occur - bound to see display errors. Also, check the Reliability History - somewhere you'll see a Video Hardware Error (it'll be a red X in Windows failure line), which is the herald of all future display/Wake/SoD events.

See grab below - this was replacement S2 - less than 24 hours after turning it on the H/W error occurred.

display_error.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss