Surface Pro vs Surface 2

immortalmatt

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, given the choice would you choose the original Surface 2 128gb or the Surface 2 64gb? I plan to connect to an external monitor and use it as a normal computer. I know you cant run legacy apps on the Surface 2 but for general browsing i don't think that's a problem. I can get a Surface Pro for ?499 and that's with a touch cover or Surface 2 64gb for ?548 with a touch cover.

ludwigh

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thats a good question.

Firstly: Is your main usage browsing the web and other "tabletty" things like email casual gaming etc? If so I can say the Surface 2 is a fantastic device. I connect to my 24" monitor all the time browsing the web and such. I even write Word documents and make Powerpoint presentations with the Surface 2 (Its very fast, playing a 1080p movie on the monitor while browsing and having twitter open with the snap mode is no problem at all).

Second: If you do not need the tablet to be super portable (ie. you mostly use it at home or in the office) the surface is still a great option. Mostly because it is more powerful and can run legacy apps (sure you don't need it, but for the price its a nice addition to have). Speaking of price, seeing as the Surface Pro is cheaper than the Surface 2, it really depends on how portable you need it to be. The Surface 2 is a fantastically portable "PC". I use it for work (I fly alot) all the time and the long 10 hours + battery life and how thin and light it the Surface 2 is excellent.

So in the end, if portability is unimportant, I would go for the Surface Pro, if you need it to be portable then Surface 2. Make sure you get the Touch Cover 2 (its alot better than Touch Cover 1). Or again, the portability question: you can also get the Type Cover 2.

Both devices are fantastic. For me personally, because I use my Tablet for Work/University and I need it to be portable, the Surface 2 was the better option. That and I don't need Legacy apps. Office 2013 is all I need, and for anything else I have my desktop PC. :)

Hope this helps!

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Sent from my Surface 2 using Tapatalk

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
If all you're doing is turn it into a desktop, go for the Surface Pro.

However, if you're going to lug it out and about, Surface 2 is the way to go.

Those are pretty much what I'm going to say, because the Surface Pro really makes me sense plugged in all day, and used as a second screen - and the backend.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Surface Pro 64GB (+32GB SDXC) refurbished from eBay for $399 to replace my original Surface RT. Its quite a bit thicker and heavier when comparing it with the RT models. I would have gotten the Surface 2 (maybe), but I need to be able to run Desktop Skype and Google Hangouts. I'm reusing my touch cover. If its mainly for home use, id recommend getting the Pro. The dock is compatible with the 1st gen Pro model.

immortalmatt

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
What's the battery life of a surface pro? Read so many reviews with so many reports of battery life its hard to know what's right. Also, plugged in for long periods wouldn't wreck the battery would it?

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
What's the battery life of a surface pro? Read so many reviews with so many reports of battery life its hard to know what's right. Also, plugged in for long periods wouldn't wreck the battery would it?
Battery life on the 1st gen Surface Pro wasn't so great... something like 4-5 hours.

Yesterday I upgraded my Surface RT to a Surface 2. (took advantage of BestBuy's trade-in program). I had tweaked my RT to improve performance and was fine with it, but the more I tried using it as my primary tablet (I have 4 other tablets), the more noticeable those laggy areas became. I haven't had much time to play with it (tons of updates), but the time that I've spent with it has been quite enjoyable performance-wise.

As for whether or not a Surface 2 can meet your needs, you'll need to take a personal inventory of the applications you use and plan to use on it. If there aren't any or many legacy apps on that list, then I think you'd be fine with a Surface 2. I frequently attach an HDTV to my RT (and will with the 2) as a 2nd display, and the experience is terrific. I assume it will be even better with the 2.

I've been wrestling with the practicality of "legacy app support". On the one hand, theoretically it sounds great... run any Windows app that I want. But giving it some more thought, in practice, it would not be so great. In "tablet mode" (no keyboard, just touch), using the legacy apps that I'd use would be virtually impossible. In "netbook mode" (keyboard cover, mouse) it would be possible but would require additional storage (for apps) and performance would lag. In the end I concluded that a Surface Pro would be the "worst of both worlds" for me... the limitations of a tablet with the systems maintenance of a desktop. But that's me.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Battery life on the 1st gen Surface Pro wasn't so great... something like 4-5 hours.

Yesterday I upgraded my Surface RT to a Surface 2. (took advantage of BestBuy's trade-in program). I had tweaked my RT to improve performance and was fine with it, but the more I tried using it as my primary tablet (I have 4 other tablets), the more noticeable those laggy areas became. I haven't had much time to play with it (tons of updates), but the time that I've spent with it has been quite enjoyable performance-wise.

As for whether or not a Surface 2 can meet your needs, you'll need to take a personal inventory of the applications you use and plan to use on it. If there aren't any or many legacy apps on that list, then I think you'd be fine with a Surface 2. I frequently attach an HDTV to my RT (and will with the 2) as a 2nd display, and the experience is terrific. I assume it will be even better with the 2.

I've been wrestling with the practicality of "legacy app support". On the one hand, theoretically it sounds great... run any Windows app that I want. But giving it some more thought, in practice, it would not be so great. In "tablet mode" (no keyboard, just touch), using the legacy apps that I'd use would be virtually impossible. In "netbook mode" (keyboard cover, mouse) it would be possible but would require additional storage (for apps) and performance would lag. In the end I concluded that a Surface Pro would be the "worst of both worlds" for me... the limitations of a tablet with the systems maintenance of a desktop. But that's me.

Personally, I think the vital thing - at least for me - that is missing from the Surface 2 is not so much apps but the active digitiser/ inking capability. If MS could have included that it would have been a more-than-excellent device! As things stand, I am currently toying with the idea as to whether or not I should opt for a Surface Pro 3 as and when it comes out or stick with my Surface 2 for another year. In many ways - and probably with the exception of the inking capability - the Surface Pro (3rd Gen) would be a waste for me because I won't be using it to its fullest extent. Well, I suppose aside from the inking capability, I could use Firefox (to be able to use Zotero), but that's about it.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I think the vital thing - at least for me - that is missing from the Surface 2 is not so much apps but the active digitiser/ inking capability. If MS could have included that it would have been a more-than-excellent device! As things stand, I am currently toying with the idea as to whether or not I should opt for a Surface Pro 3 as and when it comes out or stick with my Surface 2 for another year. In many ways - and probably with the exception of the inking capability - the Surface Pro (3rd Gen) would be a waste for me because I won't be using it to its fullest extent. Well, I suppose aside from the inking capability, I could use Firefox (to be able to use Zotero), but that's about it.
I can understand that. I think that one of the few areas where Microsoft stumbled with the Surface hardware was not providing a quality pen experience. They appeared to have "cheaped out" on the capacitive sensor array on the non-Pro Surfaces. Ironic since Apple has claimed that the iPads are not suited for stylus use and yet do a fine job with just capacitive passive touch for all but professional uses.

Based on my very brief experimenting with a Pro 2 and reviews that I've read, the active Wacom stylus experience is not all that great. Certainly better than capacitive, but not the head-n-shoulders noticeable improvement that one might expect.

I've read that Microsoft is going to make OneNote available for Mac OSX, and free. That's great news (for me). It is the app that might lead me to move beyond my "folders of plain text files synced via dropbox" method of keeping track of things. Certainly an EverNote-killer for me. OneNote could really make use of quality inking... and the lack of it on the non-Pro Surfaces are going to hurt. But I have to admit that the Adonit Jot does a decent job.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I can understand that. I think that one of the few areas where Microsoft stumbled with the Surface hardware was not providing a quality pen experience. They appeared to have "cheaped out" on the capacitive sensor array on the non-Pro Surfaces. Ironic since Apple has claimed that the iPads are not suited for stylus use and yet do a fine job with just capacitive passive touch for all but professional uses.

Based on my very brief experimenting with a Pro 2 and reviews that I've read, the active Wacom stylus experience is not all that great. Certainly better than capacitive, but not the head-n-shoulders noticeable improvement that one might expect.

I've read that Microsoft is going to make OneNote available for Mac OSX, and free. That's great news (for me). It is the app that might lead me to move beyond my "folders of plain text files synced via dropbox" method of keeping track of things. Certainly an EverNote-killer for me. OneNote could really make use of quality inking... and the lack of it on the non-Pro Surfaces are going to hurt. But I have to admit that the Adonit Jot does a decent job.

On the Surface 2?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a surface pro and get about 3 hours 30 minutes of battery life out of it. I am thinking of getting the new power cover. I got the pro at launch and it cost $999. I use the pen a lot with taking notes on OneNote.

Because the Surface 2 lacks ink, it is a huge deal breaker for me

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
On the Surface 2?
Yes. The rubber tip and foam tip styli do a terrible job on the Surface RT/2. But the Adonit Jot (not necessarily the Pro model) performs as nearly as well on the Surface RT/2 as it does on the iPad. Obviously it doesn't support pressure sensitivity but for what I use a stylus for on an iPad, I can use the Jot on the Surface and be adequately satisfied with the results.

BobLobIaw

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I chose to go with the Surface Pro even though an RT probably would have worked for me when I bought the Pro. I have never run out of battery but I also am proactive and keep it charged whenever possible. I do like having the stylus and think that is a difference-maker. I'm not concerned about the weight even though I don't lift, bro.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium