On some websites I visit, the site that comes up is the mobile version. I think it's because I'm on Windows RT and not a Surface 2 specific problem though. Is there anyway to load the full site when there is no option to on the website? I can't remember what sites off the top of my head but as I come across them I'll post them.
    03-16-2014 04:57 PM
    On some websites I visit, the site that comes up is the mobile version. I think it's because I'm on Windows RT and not a Surface 2 specific problem though. Is there anyway to load the full site when there is no option to on the website? I can't remember what sites off the top of my head but as I come across them I'll post them.
    What's the difference between a Windows RT machine and a Surface 2? They both run Windows RT 8.1 which also means that the browser will be the same.
    03-16-2014 08:04 PM
    I'm aware the Surface 2 is a Windows RT device. I said this is a problem on Windows RT and not specific to just the Surface 2. So if someone knows of a setting to set all websites to desktop mode and not mobile that'd be great.
    03-16-2014 08:26 PM
    I'll dig around but I don't have this issue with my Surface Pro. I thought windows 8.1 and RT 8.1 have the exact same browser.

Sent from LG G2 on T-Mobile. come on T-Mobile get a flagship Windows Phone!!!!!
    03-16-2014 08:58 PM
    Yeah, I didn't have the problem with my Pro 2. It's not really a problem though, but I'd prefer to see the full version of a website.
    03-17-2014 12:02 AM
    Yeah, I didn't have the problem with my Pro 2. It's not really a problem though, but I'd prefer to see the full version of a website.
    This is odd, I seem to be able to see all website - at least the ones that I frequent on a regular basis - in their normal versions rather than in their mobile versions.
    03-17-2014 09:55 AM
    I have the same Problem with Windows RT IE.
    03-17-2014 10:17 AM
    I'll dig around but I don't have this issue with my Surface Pro. I thought windows 8.1 and RT 8.1 have the exact same browser.
    Yes. The web-server should not be able to distiguish between Windows x86 and Windows ARM. I would be suprised if you see a difference when trying to load the same web-site.
    Can you please post a link to a web-site, where the difference becomes apparent?
    03-17-2014 02:37 PM
    The problem is because the website detects IE11 on Windows RT as the same on Windows Phone. I had this issue with my partner's Surface 2 and after some digging it needs IE11 to be re-written by Microsoft to prevent it from happening.
    03-17-2014 02:46 PM
    The problem is because the website detects IE11 on Windows RT as the same on Windows Phone.
    Sorry, this is plain wrong. IE Windows Phone has a different user agent string compared to IE Windows. So again, where is the evidence?
    03-17-2014 03:39 PM
    Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras - That's one of them that shows differently from a desktop PC.
    03-18-2014 12:45 AM
    Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras - That's one of them that shows differently from a desktop PC.
    Yes, it does! Hmmm...interesting! First time that I have encountered this. I am not sure why this site would read the user agent on IE 11 Metro differently than other sites. I'll look into it and ask around. Thanks for the heads-up.
    PLGomez likes this.
    03-18-2014 09:40 AM
    Thanks for the link. I did investigate the issue:
    User Agent for IE11 on Windows for ARM is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0) like Gecko

It can be read as (OS Version, Build, Engine/Version, Touch, Client Version)

It is the same string as IE 11 on Windows x64 except that ARM is replaced by WOW64.

This particular website does check if there is ARM in the user agent string and then provides mobile version. It does not explicitly check if it finds WOW64, so just removing ARM gets you the desktop site. Unfortunately you cannot permanently change the User Agent String but only temporarily as far as i am aware.
    So best bet is emailing the web-site provider to change this behaviour, because assuming ARM->mobile is certainly wrong. Instead they can figure, that because the OS is Windows NT 6.3 (aka Windows 8.1), it is a desktop class browser.
    Last edited by Cruncher04; 03-18-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    kristalsoldier and PLGomez like this.
    03-18-2014 12:09 PM
    Thanks for the link. I did investigate the issue:
    User Agent for IE11 on Windows for ARM is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; ARM; Trident/7.0; Touch; rv:11.0) like Gecko

It can be read as (OS Version, Build, Engine/Version, Touch, Client Version)

It is the same string as IE 11 on Windows x64 except that ARM is replaced by WOW64.

This particular website does check if there is ARM in the user agent string and then provides mobile version. It does not explicitly check if it finds WOW64, so just removing ARM gets you the desktop site. Unfortunately you cannot permanently change the User Agent String but only temporarily as far as i am aware.
    So best bet is emailing the web-site provider to change this behaviour, because assuming ARM->mobile is certainly wrong. Instead they can figure, that because the OS is Windows NT 6.3 (aka Windows 8.1), it is a desktop class browser.
    Exactly! That is precisely what I have also been able to find out at my end too! But strange that the site will want to query the CPU in this way.
    03-18-2014 01:17 PM
    Exactly! That is precisely what I have also been able to find out at my end too! But strange that the site will want to query the CPU in this way.
    Unless a web developer is using an off-the-shelf web development framework, they're probably "rolling their own" browser check code.
    03-18-2014 02:14 PM