usb 3.0 transfer is really slow

wawapumaa

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

So I just want to complain about the usb 3.0 port. I would say I have really bad results, on my both external usb3.0 disk.
I am around 25mo/s max !!! With my desktop computer, I get 90-120mo/s. what the point to have USB 3.0 port???
So I can tell, this is really bad result indeed. I am really disapoited. it's working like usb 2.0 nothing more.

Does anybody else have this problem or it is just me? Do I have to activate something?
I updated already my surface 2

thX and sorry for my english

vraev

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Where are you transfering files to? I tried transfering stuff from a USB3 HDD to my microSD on the surface 2 and it was less than 2MB/sec. I later found that the write speed of the crappy 40$ 64GB microSD Lexar card is only 2MB/sec. That was the problem. Speed was better when transfering to the onboard HDD.

wawapumaa

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I am using the same cable . it is the one of the hard drive, a usb3.0 cable.
I do not understand why it doesn't take full advantage of speed.
Someone can try with a USB 3.0 hard drive. I would like to know if my unit is broken

I am transferring my files from external hard drisk USB 3 ( Samsung)
Maybe your SD card is a low class. You have to take s class 10 for a good result.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
How did you come to the conclusion that the USB Interface is the limiting factor?
Apparently you are trying to measure file transfer speed. I understood that the file source is the external drive. What's the destination?

wawapumaa

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
i have both external hard drive usb 3, samsung and western digital.
I get 25 mo/s max on each. When I connect to my desktop computer i get around 90-120 mo/s like I said before

From external drive to surface 2 (25mo/S)
FRom surface 2 to external drive (27mo/s)

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
So the logical conclusion would be, that the speed is limited by the internal eMMC drive of the Surface 2. So what makes you think it is the USB Interface?

Did you ever observe higher write rates to the internal drive than 25MByte/s independent of the source? What makes you think that 25MByte/s write rate is slow for a mobile device/tablet?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
While still faster than 2.0, my 3.0 speeds are equally unimpressive. I started transferring a file and watched it start at 100MB before dipping down and settling at 25-30MB.

Niavlys77

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
You're missing the point that Cruncher04 is making...the Surface 2's drive itself may only be capable of those speeds.

Try this: get a large file (1Gb or so) on the Surface 2, and try to make a copy of it onto somewhere else on the Surface 2. See how fast it writes at.
- If it's still 25MB/s, then it's the drive in the Surface 2 that's your limiting factor, not the USB port
- If it's reasonably faster, then yes, it's the USB port

EDIT: Thought I should drop this link here - http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/249197-how-fast-your-surface-2-hard-drive.html

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs