Surface 2 Disc Space Management - AppData folder

SpenserT

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I was trying to free up some disc space on my Surface 2 and I found that the hidden "AppData" folder (user>[username]>AppData) was taking up 8gigs of space. Most of the storage is in the "local" subfolder in AppData. Can anyone tell me what in this AppData folder is safe to delete? Can I redirect the stuff that is saved here to an external card?

Snazrael

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The only thing you could easily move to an SD card (and is probably not recommended) or delete without losing any application personalization settings would be the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp folder. My AppData folder is about 4GB and that %Temp% folder is only 8MB. I believe your Windows Store applications user settings are stored in the "Packages" folder. which is 3.5GB for me; so I don't think you want to delete that. You can decrease the size of the Windows page file which is just over 2GB on my Surface 2 to gain some more space. Though some don't recommend it because it could cause some system instability, I've seen the Surface 2 run just fine with no Windows page file. Of course you always have Disk Cleanup, and make sure you select everything it finds, the Windows Update Backups that allow you to roll back updates can become quite large.

Nitin Tyagi

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

I have the same problem and I went a step further in investigation.

There is discrepancy in size when it comes to ?C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Packages\windows_ie_ac_001\AC? and "c:

\windows"folder .

A)When I do a right click on ?
?C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Packages\windows_ie_ac_001\AC?
and check the size it comes to 4.20 GB however when I go inside then select all and check there total size it come to 2.90 MB. Please notice the change from GB to MB.

B)When I do a right click on ?c:\windows? and check the size it comes to 9.70 GB however when I go inside then select all and check there total size it come to 6.65 GB.

So if these storage at these 2 locations are taken care of I will be getting around 7GB out of it.

livekyle

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
B)When I do a right click on “c:\windows“ and check the size it comes to 9.70 GB however when I go inside then select all and check there total size it come to 6.65 GB.

Maybe hidden folders? I guess they would be accounted for when you select c:\windows but not when you select all (visible) folders...

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Unless you specifically know what you're looking at, I wouldn't recommend deleting ANYTHING from the AppData folder. It is exactly what it says it is - all of your application data (including Windows components in some cases).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes