charger problems with surface 2

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
This is more of a rant than seeking help. But advice is also welcomed.

How did Microsoft create such an amazing device, then mess up the charger connecting port!!!! Its so bad. I struggle with it every time, literally every time.

The charging light indicator seems like its on, but it doesn't seem to charge. It has a major design flow, as it has very high quality constraints that can be easily missed. Its known in design that's its not preferable to make two parts connect at two specific points that's called Over Constrained Design, it must always be, one specific point, and the other should be more of a loose end or a gap, as for if any production errors can be neglected! The way the connector is design with five 1mm pins meeting, in order to charge is insaaaane!

Design 101
0330280204004.png

To mess it up even more, they deigned it pins to pins, not pins to holes! :S

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had any probes with mine on my old rt and my new surface 2. Personally I think its a fantastic design.

That's exactly what I'm saying, its an amazing design, if you can assure the quality to be 99.9999999% of the times to be perfect. But since this is very difficult task, some devices here and there will not work so good. And it looks that mine is not working properly.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft appears to have designed it so that you can connected either way. I never have problems with it charging mine...I kinda like the way it functions. Funny story though, I work at a computer store and we sold a Surface 2 to an elderly man, somehow he managed to get staples in the connector port...needless to say the device wouldn't charge and was probably shorting the battery out..he ended up returning the device because of that and because he didn't like Windows 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon