Why I bought Surface 2 LTE

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've used my Surface 2 daily since launch day last fall. It goes to work, including travel, and I use it at home when I want to sit somewhere other than my home office chair. It has never disappointed me. Yet I purchased a new LTE version of the Surface 2 this week, handing my trusty original off to my daughter (who was delighted to take it). Because I travel with the Surface 2 a lot, I became well aware of just how spotty the Wi-Fi soup we live in really is. At my favorite coffee shop, your connection reliability depends on where seats are available, at my work our public Wi-Fi is pathetic and doesn't even cover the full area of public meeting rooms let alone offices. Some airports and cafes still limit your free access by time or have no free access at all. And what about those coffeeshops near university campuses which are usually packed with students with laptops on a daily basis and still don't have the wireless capacity they really need?

I've become so addicted to being able to connect wherever I want whenever I want that when I cant it is a real pain. It reminds me of my early cell phone days and the need to check to see if there was still service as I drove. I know, I know. First world problem. Yet this is the curse of the benefit of our amazing technology: what was a perfectly acceptable normal becomes a productivity killing, personal sense of loss when it is no longer there. I was productive at work before there was a PC on my desk, let alone a 1.5 pound tablet I carry everywhere. It is just that now I am more efficiently productive.

Which is why when I can't be that productive, I start looking at how to fix the problem. I have made note of the places that have the best Wi-Fi and tend to favor them. But in the end, I just needed a device that wasn't so location specific. The Surface 2 LTE fixes that issue. I am probably one of the people this model was made for. Thankfully, it is of the same first quality design and materials and the same great form factor. It works great, switches between LTE and Wi-Fi automatically and yet lets me control when the Wi-Fi is poor. I loved my first Surface 2, but with LTE I think this device has now able to show its full potential.

BTY, if you buy the Surface LTE from Microsoft it is $100 less if you sign a 2 year contract. If you buy a SIM card from AT&T you don't have to extend your contract but can get a $100 credit on your bill.

Last edited:

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There is no doubt that using the LTE has an impact on the battery. This is from about a week of usage and just a visual observation of the battery meter icon. No real measuring. I've probably used mobile broadband more than I will in normal usage just to check it out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb