Windows RT 8.1 Update 1 (increased footprint?)

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded to update 1 yesterday. WiFi and bluetooth would be active for 2 minutes then they became inoperable. Device Manager showed problems with the drivers. Rebooting would fix it temporarily only to be disabled again after 2 minutes.

The icons on the taskbar for Office were blank icons. With an office app running (like MS Word) I would unpin it and then the appropriate icon would reappear, but as soon as I pinned it, it would revert back to a blank icon.

After a few reboots, I decided to "refresh without affecting your files". It eventually refreshed. When all was said and done, I was down to 8.5GB free on internal storage. (I had 15.2GB free before updating to 8.1 Update 1)

I ran Disk Cleanup, and deleted some other areas that are known to creep in space and was able to get free space to 12.3GB.

So where did the 3GB go?

I'm also noticing that battery life is worse again... probably the "connected standby" bug that was introduced last month (and I was able to work around by uninstalling and reinstalling a particular patch) is alive and well with this update.

I've been a fan of the RT version of the Surface from the day they were announced. And I'm starting to rely more heavily on my Surface 2 than my iPad 4. But I'm getting quite annoyed that it seems impossible for Microsoft to release an update that doesn't end up causing me 2-3 days of cleanup and troubleshooting... only to discover that there's a bug that won't be addressed until the next monthly update (as the best case scenario)

I'm going to once again "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" (as I had to do last month). :unhappy:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Did you run disk cleanup as an admin to clean up system files?

Also, is there a "Windows.old" folder in your C drive?
Yes I did.

Windows.old existed BEFORE running disk cleanup, so I selected "delete previous copies of Windows" in disk cleanup. After disk cleanup completed, the Windows.old folder was gone.

I also deleted the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. (which typically builds up over time)

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine is incredibly faster than before.
I Refreshed the device before upgrading directly to 8.1.1 though, and then re-applied all the tweaks I had before.