Freezing on Lockscreen after 8.1 Update 1

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
After updating 8.1 I've had my device freeze on the lock screen twice now in 2 days. It's after the device has been idle for a bit, then you unlock it/open the type cover and the lock screen appears but then just gets stuck there. The lockscreen image appears but no time/date/battery/wifi. I've left it for a while but it doesn't seem to budge, locking the device also does nothing - the screen stays on. Only way to get out of this is the hard reset the device.

Has anyone else had this?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I had something similar to a freeze this morning. After leaving my Surface asleep overnight, Xbox Music didn't want to load. Everything seemed to work fine. I tried to kill it from the task manager but that didn't work. I then tried killing a few other programs with no success. I disconnected the second monitor and then my Surface went to a black screen but the cursor was still visible (I had my mouse+keyboard, monitor combo going). A soft reset fixed everything. Still annoying though.

mohammed yasir

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Same with my L620... The lock screen freezes... Tried to turn off the device by pressing the power button, it showed "slide down to turn off the device" but not able to slide down,... Then I pulled out the battery, after the restarting it's fine.
L620, DP 8.1

praveen9663

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
"Reset phone" will definitely solve your issue...Please note all contents on Phone & SD card(If you prompted) will erase..All you get is factory setting with Windows 8.1....

Last edited:

conorn

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I know, reading OP is such hard work.

I would wonder if this is a varient of the Sleep of Death? I used to get this happen where the lock screen would slide have way up and freeze. After reboot the logs showed display errors/warnings at the same time as lockup. I suggest a replacement device.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I know, reading OP is such hard work.

I would wonder if this is a varient of the Sleep of Death? I used to get this happen where the lock screen would slide have way up and freeze. After reboot the logs showed display errors/warnings at the same time as lockup. I suggest a replacement device.
Yes, it is a variant of the SoD. No, replacing the device will not help.

PanWorks

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had this happen a few times, but only when I put the device to sleep with my TypeCover attached and closed over the screen. When the TypeCover is not attached, it hasn't happened. When the TypeCover is folded back, it hasn't happened. It almost seems like the closed TypeCover is triggering the touchscreen in a way that overloads the system.

Has anyone seen this error without a cover attached or with the cover folded back?

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hadn't done it in a few days but just got it twice tonight, very frustrating. Doesn't seem to be any errors near the unexpected shutdown one in the event viewer. Did they fix the sleep of death only to have a similar but slightly different issue introduced? I love the s2 but the countless bugs are very frustrating.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Kept running the update program and it kept failing. Clicked the hyperlink below the retry button and had to check a check box for a firmware update. After a few reboots got it all updated. Got to love those window bugs. Did I say I am running xp and the 8.0 or 8.1 checker says it wont run on my pc?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99