question to all surface 2 lovers!

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello people! I had a question(obviously). So, when I'm watching a video(off of the SD card right now) and then try to split screen with Outlook.. Outlook begins to freeze and crash. In order to be able to open it correctly, I have to pause the video and let outlook finish. And even after it opens fully and I restart the video, outlook freezes again! Changing the screen make-up of either task does not help the situation..
Now that I think about it.. I had some difficulty with Word a few days ago too.. Can't watch a video and use word at the same time. Quite annoying...

My surface is fully updated with regular Microsoft updates(of course).

Now for the question: is anyone else experiencing such problems?

Quick update: outlook freezes whenever I multitask with anything. Even internet explorer. So it isn't the video's fault.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean Outlook or the Mail app? If Outlook, are you using the Modern UI snap or using 2 desktop apps?

Should have been more specific. Um, outlook itself; it uses the desktop. video is the default video media app.

Idk if I answered your question ><

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
New update!
This problem of freezing while multi tasking persists with outlook, office, AND onenote. Immediate problems when using outlook. Quite fast to the problem when loading onenote. And only has problems when going through any of the office apps' settings.???

-- Bam --

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
How large are the video files you are playing (resolution & bitrate)? I notice that far too many people encode videos with too high a bitrate and resolution. That could be one contributing factor. The Tegra 4 chip in the Surface 2 is optimized for video playback so that is one aspect I wouldn't expect to see any lags and pauses.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had no problems with snapping videos that are playing from a external hard drive, connected via a USB hub while connected to a second monitor. But they're not large files, 720p at max. Maybe the files are too large like WillysJeepMan suggested.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
That could be true... But I'm sure the files aren't too large they are episodes of a 90s TV show. I forgot the values.. I'll check that up. But they can't be too high considering they are about 220 megabytes per 25 minute episode. Avi files, of course..

Actually, the problem only persist when playing video and using the desktop office apps and outlook app. I can actually use the metro version of the Onenote app though, and no problems persist. So I'm assuming it has something very specifically in common with the desktop. I can watch a video easily and use either internet explorer desktop or metro apps. I can watch video and use code writer, watch a video and use Skype.. No problems there.

So I doubt it is Video's fault. I'm going to test out how the desktop apps and other metro apps work later. Just for experimentation to see if it is really the video's fault.

-- Bam --

Last edited:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
220MB/25 min should not be an issue. It's a longshot, but maybe the codec encapsulated within the avi requires extensive processing that is not exploiting the native hardware capabilities of the Tegra. Most likely NOT though. If you happen to have an .mp4 or .m4v file handy, you might try playing that.

It could be a OneDrive issue. You mentioned that you have no problems playing video when also using the desktop or metro version of IE. You could try putting your Surface in "airplane mode" and then try watching the original video and using office apps.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
220MB/25 min should not be an issue. It's a longshot, but maybe the codec encapsulated within the avi requires extensive processing that is not exploiting the native hardware capabilities of the Tegra. Most likely NOT though. If you happen to have an .mp4 or .m4v file handy, you might try playing that.

It could be a OneDrive issue. You mentioned that you have no problems playing video when also using the desktop or metro version of IE. You could try putting your Surface in "airplane mode" and then try watching the original video and using office apps.

I'll give airplane mode and video+outlook/office a try. Report back later.

-- Bam --

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Update: it did not help. Problem continues. I highly doubt the blame is on the video because everything else multitasks perfectly fine with video. Outlook/office are the only problems.

-- Bam --

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Update: it did not help. Problem continues. I highly doubt the blame is on the video because everything else multitasks perfectly fine with video. Outlook/office are the only problems.

-- Bam --
ack... running out of things to try. I'll try that on my Surface 2 to see if I can duplicate it.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
OK. I ran some tests... with small video files and hi-bitrate videos... split-screen with different MS Office apps. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the video to stutter. The system remained smooth and responsive.

edited for clarity: I also did not notice any freezing or lagging with the Office apps while the video was playing.

It is possible that a system update on your machine did not install cleanly, or (less likely) your machine may have a hardware defect.

I'd recommend doing a refresh to see if that corrects the issue. If not, backup your data and do a full system restore and apply all of the updates. I've seen time and time again how a hiccup in a system update on the Surface devices can cause unpredictable behavior. (more so than on traditional Windows systems)

Last edited:

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
OK. I ran some tests... with small video files and hi-bitrate videos... split-screen with different MS Office apps. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the video to stutter. The system remained smooth and responsive.

It is possible that a system update on your machine did not install cleanly, or (less likely) your machine may have a hardware defect.

I'd recommend doing a refresh to see if that corrects the issue. If not, backup your data and do a full system restore and apply all of the updates. I've seen time and time again how a hiccup in a system update on the Surface devices can cause unpredictable behavior. (more so than on traditional Windows systems)

I see but the video doesn't stutter. It is outlook that freezes. Lol. Wrong problem >< my video runs flawlessly. It affects outlook though. Or office. The video's only problem is that sometimes it doesn't play a video, and I have to close and restart the video to play it. But I accept that, it happens to all windows 8 devices. I've seen it and experienced it on multiple devices already.

The problem is that outlook freezes when multi-tasking with video. Office freezes too. But only when I play video. The video remains unaffected, but outlook or office freeze and crash.

-- Bam --

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
But I thought about refresh. I'll try a system refresh later and see if it helps. That is why it is there right? To correct. But alright thanks W! I'll update with anything if it fixes or continues to freeze outlook.

-- Bam --

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

A million thanks!!! The refresh has fixed the freezing!

But now to update again. Maybe the updates were the problem? I will see.
-- Bam --

Last edited:

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I did not know we could multitask on the same screen like the new samsung tablets show on the tv commercial. Thats something an iproduct cant do. Maybe not being able to get the ipad wasnt such a let down for me?

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. I did not know we could multitask on the same screen like the new samsung tablets show on the tv commercial. Thats something an iproduct cant do. Maybe not being able to get the ipad wasnt such a let down for me?

:) we learn something new everyday

-- Bam --

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Let's not get crazy... it was a letdown. :evil: But you'll manage. I own both a 64GB iPad4 and a 32GB Surface 2. The Surface 2 is letting me down big time. :unhappy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss