surface 2 and Ipad 3 and over owners

geotos

May 2, 2014
Visit site
One of the reasons the S2 is a canditate is for the larger screen. Don't want minis. :grin: I have a bb playbook and can't see much as all is too small. Battery has died and is now junk. Looks like I will be going S2. I'm gaining confidence now. It's best to get people's opinion that have these devices rather than media reviews as they've spent time with their devices and will give an accurate opinion and you peeps on here have helped me out heeps. :smile:

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Well, apparently Delta pilots use the Surface 2 on the flight deck...and I know of at least two business air-charter companies that use the Surface 2 on their flight deck. Recently, there was some news item of some Canadian academic/ training outfit that ordered around 3K Surface 2s. It cuts both ways. Naturally, the iPad (and in some instance some Android tabs) have more coverage, but then again, they have been on the market for a much longer time that the Surface. Does this make me also sound like a MS ******?

Edit: CDI College chooses Surface to enrich the educational experience
You appeared to have missed my point. He made the blanket claim that the iPad is a toy and the Surface is for productivity and that sounds like a Microsoft ******. Did you do that? No. So I don't know why you think my statement directed a very specific person applies to you. You seem to think that merely mentioning the benefits of the Surface would cause me to think that. I should know by now that any nuanced position that isn't lock-step cheerleader of any company or product will be viewed as negative.

Come on kristalsoldier. I thought you'd see that.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
yea that was very biased, just depends what you like and your needs, but the union between a cover keyboard and the surface can't be discounted in someone's decision, it is a fantastic piece of technology. I also much prefer windows. I do have a little grudge against apple i can't lie. I think they compromise functionality for aesthetics. Windows does both for me, couldn't care less about apps although there is plenty, windows complexity breeds an unrivalled simplicity.
Thank you for your honesty. But I'm puzzled. Geotos asked people who owned both the iPad 3+ and the Surface to compare and contrast the devices to help him make a decision. (do you even own an iPad?) How does your person grudge against Apple help the OP make a decision?

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
You appeared to have missed my point. He made the blanket claim that the iPad is a toy and the Surface is for productivity and that sounds like a Microsoft ******. Did you do that? No. So I don't know why you think my statement directed a very specific person applies to you. You seem to think that merely mentioning the benefits of the Surface would cause me to think that. I should know by now that any nuanced position that isn't lock-step cheerleader of any company or product will be viewed as negative.

Come on kristalsoldier. I thought you'd see that.

Ah...what can I say, my brain has been fried for the past few days...marking under-grad papers is not fun...often I have to read good literature to get my orientation back...! For the record, I don't think any device - in the sense in which this thread has been evolving - is a toy. Each has its own use, functions and optimal usage scenarios. I am heartened to see the commercial enterprises are beginning to use the Surface 2 in active operations and I am disappointed that I can't see how much more the iOS/ iPad can actually evolve - aside from the HW, of course (but that too will eventually plateau - after the 2GB RAM upgrade, of course - Touch ID does not count!).

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I also want to add that i had the original surface. It launched with underperforming hardware and win rt was in its infancy. That forward to today and the platform has come a long way! We have seen regular updates.

I also had the playbook and really liked it

bangoban

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for your honesty. But I'm puzzled. Geotos asked people who owned both the iPad 3+ and the Surface to compare and contrast the devices to help him make a decision. (do you even own an iPad?) How does your person grudge against Apple help the OP make a decision?

it doesn't, I got personal when I should of been objective. ma bad

geotos

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Another question for the ipad and surface 2 owners. How does the windows speech recognition compare to siri when composing a message (dictation)? Is it accurate?

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Another question for the ipad and surface 2 owners. How does the windows speech recognition compare to siri when composing a message (dictation)? Is it accurate?
In my experience it's better. Just last night I was using Cortana. My friend was getting jealous, so he pulled out his iPhone. The first two things he tried, siri didn't understand him. Also, I get iPhone text messages all the time and most of the time the message is followed up with them blaming siri for placing the wrong text. I'm not claiming Cortana is 100% flawless, but I've been walking down busy streets with lots of noise and thought 'this will never work', and I try it and it worked perfectly.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
In my experience it's better. Just last night I was using Cortana. My friend was getting jealous, so he pulled out his iPhone. The first two things he tried, siri didn't understand him. Also, I get iPhone text messages all the time and most of the time the message is followed up with them blaming siri for placing the wrong text. I'm not claiming Cortana is 100% flawless, but I've been walking down busy streets with lots of noise and thought 'this will never work', and I try it and it worked perfectly.
Cortana is not currently available for the Surface... and only in developer's beta for Windows Phone.

geotos

May 2, 2014
Visit site

What gadget did you use Cortana on if it's not on S2 yet as WillysJeepMan says?

geotos

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Get the S2. Works great and much cheaper.

Am leaning towards it as I defo like it for what it does better than the ipad, but I'm a little afraid because it hasn't been out for very long. What am I afraid of? Well 2 years ago I bought a Blackberry Playbook. The battery died suddenly 2 years later and it's now useless. Apparently they have a fault with their charging system, a design fault which is showing up on playbooks all the time. Blackberry acknowledge the problem. I just hope these surfaces will last and will be supported by microsoft as blackberry have given up on their playbooks. Don't want the surface dead in a few years. I know the ipads are built like bricks and last but I'm a bit iffy on the surface 2. Are there any reports on bricked surfaces? Might still be early for this question.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Am leaning towards it as I defo like it for what it does better than the ipad, but I'm a little afraid because it hasn't been out for very long. What am I afraid of? Well 2 years ago I bought a Blackberry Playbook. The battery died suddenly 2 years later and it's now useless. Apparently they have a fault with their charging system, a design fault which is showing up on playbooks all the time. Blackberry acknowledge the problem. I just hope these surfaces will last and will be supported by microsoft as blackberry have given up on their playbooks. Don't want the surface dead in a few years. I know the ipads are built like bricks and last but I'm a bit iffy on the surface 2. Are there any reports on bricked surfaces? Might still be early for this question.
I have a playbook too! Alright! I have not had a problem one with my playbook. My point is electronics can have problems that's what most people come to forums for. But the majority do not have problems. If you know something is a piece of s*** than you know. The surface is a solid devise. I replaced my laptop with an S2. If it didn't perform well or was only a tablet (limited, you know what I mean) it would have went back. I'm not a fan boy. Get it.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
It will be though.
Which does absolutely nothing in helping the OP in his decision. Because your experience with the beta version on Windows Phone is not a guarantee of how it will perform on the Surface 2. I've used Cortana on 8.1. It is indeed excellent. But it would be foolish to make a decision TODAY about what MIGHT be in the future.

Microsoft has made a public commitment to support Windows RT up to April 2017. As to the quality of that support, well, that is an unknown. The bigger concern, IMO, has to do with the fact that the Surface RT/2 are locked down to Windows RT and cannot be rooted to install another OS (should one be dissatisfied with the level of support for RT Microsoft is delivering).

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It does, because you know it's coming. You don't even have to be psychic to see it.

What Willy means, Kev, is that we can not assume that cortana will work just as good on a surface as it works on a windows phone.

I think it is time I add something from my experience. In the next hour ^^ brb!

-- Bam --

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
We can actually. The software will be the same (at least whatever the current versions is). The only other piece is the mic and while the surface mic may not be as good as the Icon's mic, it's certainly little better than my 920's mic. The only problem would be that Cortana heavily relies on an internet connection. So you'd either need a surface with LTE or MS needs to make cortana available for an offline mode.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion