06-06-2014 07:15 AM
31 12
tools
    Ive been slowly warming up to the surface 2. Been using it to read file attachments, touching all the tiles, reading a few news articles and other websites. Basically what I use the ipod touch 4 I have for.

In the end I got 16 of 28 gb free and its only using half a gb from the sdcard.

Im still out on rather I like the touch cover keyboard vs on screen. I think if I use it in public Ill just take out a traditional 104 key usb keyboard to get people to stare at me funny.
    05-06-2014 08:52 PM
    glad you like your surface 2 haha peeps stare (is that a surface ?? I want one :p )
    05-06-2014 08:57 PM
    I loved my Surface RT, but started feeling performance anxiety after a while. Got my Surface 2 a couple of months ago and I am extremely happy with it. I use it for pretty much everything I used my laptop for before. Anything that requires a full X86 system, I just use remote desktop and still do it on my Surface
    anon(7900571) and thatdennis like this.
    05-06-2014 09:20 PM
    Remote desktop? Is that like pc anywhere? Yeah, Ive been out of the loop for a decade or so.

Yeah, seems pretty fast since the 8.1 update and moving the recovery to a usb stick and deleting the space on the drive.
    GhostITMG likes this.
    05-06-2014 09:40 PM
    I suppose so. It lets you log into any other Windows PC and, depending on your connection, use it like you were sitting at that PC. It's been built in since Win XP, but works great on Win 7 or 8. I use it on a regular basis for anything requiring a "real PC". So, like once a month
    05-06-2014 10:29 PM
    Yep I love it so much, not only does it have a long battery life, you could type on it! Definite advantage for me over any tablet. Especially OneNote and OneDrive, the best things for work. Only drawback is there are no .mkv players (we need VLC)!
    05-07-2014 05:38 AM
    double post
    Last edited by Cruncher04; 05-11-2014 at 06:37 AM.
    05-07-2014 01:07 PM
    Only drawback is there are no .mkv players (we need VLC)!
    There are quite a few players available in the store, which play *.mkv. I do not need it though since i dont use mkv because i consider the format pointless.
    05-07-2014 01:08 PM
    mkv players? I havent really browse the app store, but thats something on my list. I just check my email, read the news and see whats trending on youtube. :D
    05-09-2014 08:41 PM
    I'm also very happy with my Surface 2! And here's another vote for remote desktop too, I use it every day to connect and control my Win7 gaming desktop and my Win8 laptop... right from the comfort of my couch or bed! :)

I'd also like to recommend PLEX media server for all your MKV (or any other video format) viewing needs on your Surface 2. The PLEX client app for Win8 (RT) is $4.99 and the server software to run on your PC is free. Since I've started using it, it's become the number one used app on my Surface 2! Simply amazing... works perfect!
    05-09-2014 09:04 PM
    I agree, Ed. Plex is one of those hidden gems that delivers... "It just works". It's like having your own personal netflix.
    05-10-2014 01:12 AM
    I've got to check out Plex and see if it is something that I would want and if I know how to get it to work! Sounds like a fun (and useful) thing to have.
    05-10-2014 03:40 AM
    I've got to check out Plex and see if it is something that I would want and if I know how to get it to work! Sounds like a fun (and useful) thing to have.
    You should! It's real easy to set up.. just install the server application on your PC, create an account and specify what folder(s) contain all your movie/video files. Then get the client app on your portable device (I have it on both my Surface 2 and my Nokia 1020) for $4.99 each, log into your account and presto! Instant access to all your movies! Everything pretty much works "right out of the box" with the default settings. Have fun!

And to the OP, you should try the "Type 2 keyboard" for the Surface. It's backlit and a fantastic typing experience over the Touch or onscreen keyboard.
    05-10-2014 08:35 AM
    What do you mean "we need VLC"? VLC app is available in Microsoft store. I have installed both - the app and the Windows versions on my Surface Pro 2.
    05-11-2014 04:17 AM
    What do you mean "we need VLC"? VLC app is available in Microsoft store. I have installed both - the app and the Windows versions on my Surface Pro 2.
    It's not yet available on Windows RT
    05-11-2014 06:16 AM
    Attached the touch cover. The magnets are strong, I almost lost a finger. Felt funny typing on it. Sometimes I had to type the first letter twice when using search or other boxes where I had to enter info. The mouse pad worked fine with your finger.
    05-11-2014 07:47 PM
    You should! It's real easy to set up.. just install the server application on your PC, create an account and specify what folder(s) contain all your movie/video files. Then get the client app on your portable device (I have it on both my Surface 2 and my Nokia 1020) for $4.99 each, log into your account and presto! Instant access to all your movies! Everything pretty much works "right out of the box" with the default settings. Have fun!
    Thanks. So, that measn you bought the app twice - once from the Windows Store and the second time from the Windows Phone Store?
    05-11-2014 08:20 PM
    Thanks. So, that measn you bought the app twice - once from the Windows Store and the second time from the Windows Phone Store?
    I did. I've got a whole $9.98 invested..
    And worth every penny. Too bad it's not a "Universal app" where you only have to buy it once. But like a said, worth every penny..
    05-11-2014 09:18 PM
    I did. I've got a whole $9.98 invested..
    And worth every penny. Too bad it's not a "Universal app" where you only have to buy it once. But like a said, worth every penny..
    And with the latest update... It has become such! Dang, I should have waited.. Oh well. Still money well spent!
    05-13-2014 10:34 PM
    And with the latest update... It has become such! Dang, I should have waited.. Oh well. Still money well spent!
    Wow! I'll check it out. Thanks.
    05-14-2014 04:13 AM
    I know the topic is currently on Plex and whatnot, but I have to say, one note on the surface 2 in landscape mode is freaking amazing! And then.. The ability to multitask window snaps while using onenote.. .this is one epic feature and app that even the iPad can't compare too! (My opinion.)

I ordered the elsse case from amazon. And I have my bamboo wacom stylus on the case pen flap(?). All of this together makes my set up look very epic! Also. It seems to work fine while the touch cover 2 case is on it. A teeny weeny bit awkward looking. But it doesn't bother me because my surface 2 is protected. And again, combine this with one note and watching video (say Friends) and bam bam bam, an epic set up is born!

I too am super happy

-- Bam --
    05-15-2014 12:28 AM
    I just installed Plex - on my Surface 2 and Desktop machine. It works brilliantly! Now, Can I use this when I am away overseas? If yes, would save me a lot of space on my HDDs and local drives.
    05-15-2014 05:52 AM
    I just installed Plex - on my Surface 2 and Desktop machine. It works brilliantly! Now, Can I use this when I am away overseas? If yes, would save me a lot of space on my HDDs and local drives.
    As long as your server is running on your desktop, you can access it anywhere in the world (where there's WiFi) by logging into your MyPlex account from the client app on your Surface.
    05-15-2014 07:07 AM
    I know the topic is currently on Plex and whatnot, but I have to say, one note on the surface 2 in landscape mode is freaking amazing! And then.. The ability to multitask window snaps while using onenote.. .this is one epic feature and app that even the iPad can't compare too! (My opinion.)

I ordered the elsse case from amazon. And I have my bamboo wacom stylus on the case pen flap(?). All of this together makes my set up look very epic! Also. It seems to work fine while the touch cover 2 case is on it. A teeny weeny bit awkward looking. But it doesn't bother me because my surface 2 is protected. And again, combine this with one note and watching video (say Friends) and bam bam bam, an epic set up is born!

I too am super happy

-- Bam --
    Sweet! Would you share links to the case you have please? And also the Wacom you have?
    I agree, OneNote is awesome.. I use it all the time on my Nokia 1020, my Surface 2, and the Desktop..
    05-15-2014 07:11 AM
    Hey! The case is a generic case from amazon that you've probably seen

Elsse (TM) Premium Folio Case with Stand for Microsoft Surface RT /... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2L5KDO/...pUvbUpU2540395

It costs almost 10 dollars for standard shipping though.. So it came out to about 18 dollars. Not too bad since I do believe it is worth it. It protects my surface enough, and it actually kinda fits the touch cover 2 keyboard on it, a little tight though. But it works.

The pen is

Wacom Tech Corp. Bamboo Stylus for iPad/Tablets by Wacom http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VM0SE6/...pUvbUpU2540395

I remember buying it for cheaper on amazon, about a year ago. But they have other kinds: pen/stylus and a Mini stylus.

-- Bam --
    05-15-2014 08:30 AM
31 12