Surface 2 screen weird screen glitch... bug?

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
So I was playing halo. A couple levels. Normally don't play games on my surface 2 a lot. Man the surface gets hot...

Well anyhow, after I stopped, I went to the desktop to check battery life. (I always check my battery lol), and a few seconds through, a weird streak.. Analog TV like streak.. Went through the screen horizontally.

Has anyone else experienced this? I started doing research and it seems people have had it happen to them before January. It was supposed to be fixed with some update.. Yet I experienced it just now. Anyone else?

I'm not too worried since Microsoft will have to replace it under factory warranty and what not, because it isn't my fault... But I still want to know if anyone has seen it lately.

-- Bam --

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
So I was playing halo. A couple levels. Normally don't play games on my surface 2 a lot. Man the surface gets hot...

Well anyhow, after I stopped, I went to the desktop to check battery life. (I always check my battery lol), and a few seconds through, a weird streak.. Analog TV like streak.. Went through the screen horizontally.

Has anyone else experienced this? I started doing research and it seems people have had it happen to them before January. It was supposed to be fixed with some update.. Yet I experienced it just now. Anyone else?

I'm not too worried since Microsoft will have to replace it under factory warranty and what not, because it isn't my fault... But I still want to know if anyone has seen it lately.

-- Bam --
Sounds like the classic "Tegra chip overheating" scenario. Keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, and what you were doing when it does. You might see a pattern.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I have not noticed it, but I will look for it... Though I have had 2 surfaces, nexus 7, and currently have a surface 2 and a dell venue pro 8, all in the past year... I don't plan on buying another tablet in the next year...

If this is a real problem, I want it fixed before warranty ends...

Keep us informed OP

Harri_Tku

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
It was nice to find this thread. I have about 2 week old Surface2 with all patches. I have also noticed this weird screen problem. User exkerZ said right when compares problem to Analog TV. Lines and flickers are random and very fast, not typical for LCD displays, Really a hardware problem, with software nobody cant repeat these weird flashes. It might be some kind of overheating problem. I have to try to play some heavy CPU/GPU using game and see if this glitch comes then more often. I have also type2 cover placed to Surface and when holdin Surface2 in hands, this cover is flipped to the back of the Surface2 --> this may also cause heating, because then back cover is covered with keyboard.

Hopefully some fix comes very soon. This sounds hardware problem, which could be fixed with software or firmware patches by limiting highest CPU/GPU usages.

BR, Harri

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed this too. I really hope the rumors are true about Microsoft ditching NVIDIA for their next Surface models. The Tegra 4, while more powerful than the Tegra 3, appears to be much less reliable. And given that NVIDIA is mute on further Tegra 4 development, I can only assume that NVIDIA has abandoned the T4 line in favor of their upcoming Tegra K1 chips.

Harri_Tku

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi HeyCori I read from your posts that you have changed S2 in the MS Service to another piece of unit. Did you have this display glitch bug in the first S2 and also in S2 unit. I have still some days to return my S2 to shop and get money back. and buy another unit then. But if people are getting this bug in all devices the the changing of the S2 does not help me anyway.

I have tried many different Android tablets and iPads. Only S2 feels good for my needs. And now I get this kind of display error. not happy.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi HeyCori I read from your posts that you have changed S2 in the MS Service to another piece of unit. Did you have this display glitch bug in the first S2 and also in S2 unit. I have still some days to return my S2 to shop and get money back. and buy another unit then. But if people are getting this bug in all devices the the changing of the S2 does not help me anyway.

I have tried many different Android tablets and iPads. Only S2 feels good for my needs. And now I get this kind of display error. not happy.

I'm sorry this is going on for you.. I wish i could help more or provide a fix, but sadly all I can do is provide my empathy.

-- Bam --

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I didn't have any display problems until recently. I'm guessing it was introduced in a recent software update.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Reviving this thread to make sure that with all updates, no one has that weird screen glitch again. Everything has been smooth for me.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I still have this issue...but it only seems to happen after I play a game and swipe out of it to do something else...if I force close the game the lines stop appearing, or don't appear at all. If an app crashes and kicks me back to the Start screen, it happens to..until I force close the blank window of the crashed app. To me it seems it has to do with background apps and the way the Tegra 4 video drivers are handling them.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I still have this issue...but it only seems to happen after I play a game and swipe out of it to do something else...if I force close the game the lines stop appearing, or don't appear at all. If an app crashes and kicks me back to the Start screen, it happens to..until I force close the blank window of the crashed app. To me it seems it has to do with background apps and the way the Tegra 4 video drivers are handling them.

Alright I'll try to recreate these scene with the next 48 hours?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium