While I love the surface 2 and everything about it, I really hate how terrible the paint over the metal is.... It keeps chipping. Specially at the ports.. Like the power port and the USB port. It may be my fault as sometimes I accidental crash the connects around the ports... And the magnet power cord doesn't help as the magnet pulls it in, and I end up crashing on top of the area it is supposed to go... But I wish the paint wouldn't chip off so easily.

I finally bought a case to protect other places (such as corners) but man... I'm a little sad. Anyone else have these first world problems?

I may consider painting the surface 2 with car paint later.
    05-24-2014 06:36 PM
    Wow sorry to hear that. I frequently travel with my Surface 2 and simply slip it in a netbook messenger bag.... No chips, scratches, or peeling. But there is an isolated slot where the Surface goes... It doesn't come into contact with anything else like mouse, ac adapter, presentation remote, USB drives, or mic.
    05-24-2014 08:48 PM
    Wow sorry to hear that. I frequently travel with my Surface 2 and simply slip it in a netbook messenger bag.... No chips, scratches, or peeling. But there is an isolated slot where the Surface goes... It doesn't come into contact with anything else like mouse, ac adapter, presentation remote, USB drives, or mic.
    I supposed i should learn to be more careful. I kinda wish the texture of the surface was more of matte backing. I think that is what it is called. Like the one the nexus 5 phone has.
    05-24-2014 08:54 PM
    Hmmm...I also travel a lot with my Surface 2 and I also pack it in a sleeve, but that sleeve also carries in the same compartment my iPad Air (I know! It must be blasphemous to iOS purists and to MS purists too!)...but my device also does not have any chips, scratches or peeling of any kind.
    05-24-2014 09:19 PM
    I just checked my Surface Pro 2 to see if any wear and tear showing up. No chips or dings, even around USB and charging ports. I have been on multiple International trips with it. Always goes in my carry on bag in dedicated computer slot, so I am careful with it.
    05-24-2014 09:28 PM
    Lol I get it guys, my luck with my device just sucks.
    05-24-2014 09:29 PM
    I have some paint peeling off around the power port on my Surface 1. Apparently I was not careful enough. I have no issues with my Surface 2 as far, beeing 1 year younger of course.
    05-25-2014 06:32 AM
    I thought the Surface 2 was made out of magnesium and that there isn't any paint on it.
    So I am confused.
    Mine is doing fine, though. No chips here.
    xandros9 likes this.
    05-25-2014 08:44 AM
    I thought the Surface 2 was made out of magnesium and that there isn't any paint on it.
    So I am confused.
    Mine is doing fine, though. No chips here.
    Well I'm not really sure what to say about that. But I have had 2 surface 2s. The first one was 32 gigs, then I exchanged it back for 64gigs with LTE.

The 32 gig came with paint chipped off of top corner, and paint chipped off of the USB port area as well. After exchanging, I opened the box in the car, and sure enough. That one too had paint chipped off of the bottom corner. Should I attach a photo? They are really tiny chips.. But they do bother me. And from use, paint is chipping off from the inside of the USB port as well as another corner, and right next to the magnetic power outlet port.
    05-25-2014 08:09 PM
    Here it is
    Attached Thumbnails 8485.jpg  
    05-25-2014 08:11 PM