Surface 2 wearing out

df608

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I bought the surface 2 in Oct. I mainly use the surface on the couch at night or at the kitchen counter with the kick stand wide open. A lot of times I find myself holding the surface with my hands under the kick stand so my hands will be between the back of the surface and the kick stand.

In the photo below you can see where the finish is wearing off. I find Panos comments from yesterday interesting about how they improved the finish so it doesn't wear out. At least it's hidden and you can't see it.

I guess I will have to get the pro 3 on June 20th.

Attachments

• WP_20140526_11_12_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140526_11_12_32_Pro.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 9
  • WP_20140526_11_12_42_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140526_11_12_42_Pro.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 8

df608

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh! I posted this on the surface twitter feed the other day and haven't had a response yet. I'm not looking for anything from them but, just a response saying thank you for sharing so we know how our products hold up, how to improve them and blah, blah.....

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
A lot of times I find myself holding the surface with my hands under the kick stand so my hands will be between the back of the surface and the kick stand.

That's how I hold mine a lot too and so far no such blemishes (pre-ordered the tablet so have had it for a long time now). Do you have really calloused hands by any chance?

df608

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
No my hands are not calloused. My hands are not surgeon hands either but, they are soft for what I do. I'm in the lawn care business, I mainly wear gloves.

I was wondering if MS did something different with the finish in that area because it is hidden and to cut cost.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering if MS did something different with the finish in that area because it is hidden and to cut cost.

Perhaps, can't really say but I wonder how much it would have saved them if they did. Anyway I think I'm going to be a bit more careful now because even if it's hidden something like that would tend to irritate me.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That's how I hold mine a lot too and so far no such blemishes (pre-ordered the tablet so have had it for a long time now). Do you have really calloused hands by any chance?
I guess that's the Microsoft equivalent to Apple's, "you're holding it wrong". LOL

No my hands are not calloused. My hands are not surgeon hands either but, they are soft for what I do. I'm in the lawn care business, I mainly wear gloves. I was wondering if MS did something different with the finish in that area because it is hidden and to cut cost.
It's a manufacturing defect, plain and simple. There have been reports of people who baby their Surface devices and have had the coating peel off.

df608

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Pano did say they improved the coating for pro3, so time will only tell there.

I really think they cut corners on the backside of the kick stand. I surely can't be the only one with this problem.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Pano did say they improved the coating for pro3, so time will only tell there.

I really think they cut corners on the backside of the kick stand. I surely can't be the only one with this problem.
Panos said a lot of things, some of questionable veracity.

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Got a death grip on your tablet? Could be the chemicals on your hands from lotions, soaps, etc that is causing it too. Before I took mines out of the box I got a generic case, screen protector and 8gb thumb drive to prepare it properly before use.

stnm

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
WP_20140605_20_24_49_Pro (2).jpg

Same with mine. No big deal though as it only affects this small stripe that looks somewhat different than the rest of the casing

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3