Hi all,
    Does anyone that had theyre surface2 replaced by Microsoft ever got a refurbished instead of a new one?
    If so, how was it? Was it "as new", or could you see that it had been used before?

Reason why im asking, is because i have to send mine for replacement and the MS rep. that helped me wasn't sure about what i was getting.
    Mine is now 2 months old and its still is perfect condition, no scratches, dents or anything.
    The reason why its getting replaced is a "Your PC needs to be repaired", reinstall Windows 8.1 bluescreen.
    I Never made a USB recovery drive, don't know anyone else with a surface 2, and the store where i bought it won't let me make one there, so i had to call MS.
    Aparently MS also doesn't give or sell these things out, so the surface "needs" to be replaced.
    Anyhow, mine is getting picked-up bij UPS tomorrow, so im kinda wondering/stressing about what im gonna get instead.

Thx in advance.
    06-02-2014 08:12 PM
    A refurbished model can be one that was repaired, one that was simply returned and otherwise untouched etc.

I wouldn't worry, my refurb laptop is going on two years without any problems. Of course there are always some kind of problem, but I'm sure service should take care of it. YMMV, but you should be OK I would think.
    06-02-2014 09:06 PM
    Hei, thx for your comment.

Yeah, i guess your right. Still think is kinda weird that MS dont have a "easier" solution, then to replace the unit.
    With my previous laptop (HP) it was possible to buy a set of recovery dvds, in case you didnt want to make them yourself, was kinda hoping that MS would have such a service.
    Waiting for the replacement now, should be here next week.
    06-03-2014 06:29 PM
    Hi.
    Why not just download a recovery image from here?

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=203A6...IcBVsLygTfpZxQ

or you could also just use my guide and the 8.1 RT RTM iso and build a recovery drive, see here;

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...rface-2-a.html
    Cobb and xandros9 like this.
    06-03-2014 06:52 PM
    Surface2 is already gone.
    Maybe it wil still come in handy on my next one :)

Thx anyway.
    06-03-2014 06:59 PM
    Thanks to this website I purchased an 8 gb thumb drive just for such a purpose. I keep it in my box with the receipt and paper work.

In a way I like refurbish over new as its had the bugs worked out. Now a cosmetically ugly one is another story. I dont think its been out long enough to be damaged too much.
    06-04-2014 08:03 PM
    Replacement Surface2 arrived today and i cant tell of its new or refurb. Screen and body look and feel brand new, no lcd bleeding.
    sound and image are great. Im happy, at least for now, time will tell how long this one is going to last. Thx for all the comments.
    xandros9 likes this.
    06-16-2014 10:22 AM
    Good to hear! Keep us posted!
    06-16-2014 12:06 PM
    As far as I understand it a refurbished unit might be a unit that was just taken off the line after production and tested and then replaced back into the box and sold as refurbished. There are several other ways a otherwise new device could be classed as refurbished even though it may not have even been used.

One possible way to tell if it is new is if the battery improves after a few charge cycles.
    06-18-2014 11:40 AM